Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Jason appearing in LEVIATHAN made me miss his book so I decided to check it.

I actually liked this issue despite some some stuff (the "twists") that made me roll my eyes, but I'm interested enough that I might check vol 6 (or did they change the numbers?) when it come out.
    Last edited by Rise; 07-10-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Jason appearing in LEVIATHAN made me miss his book so I decided to check it.

I actually liked this issue despite some some stuff (the "twists") that made me roll my eyes, but I'm interested enough that I might check vol 6 (or did they change the numbers?) when it come out.
    Vol. 6 should be Red Hood: Outlaw Vol. 2 (Probably the Prince of Gotham)

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Interesting issue.

It ties up all the plot points of Prince of Gotham in a nice bow so Jason can get involved in whatever nonsense Year of Villain demands. Is obvious that Lobdell's plans were once again derailed by editorial but all things considered, he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Jason is again alone but unlike the last time, he doesn't burn any bridges so the door is open for everyone to come back down the line (and I particularly enjoyed everything related to Isabel). The twist about Wingman is a bit contrived and goes against the back-up story of issue 25 so here's hoping Lobdell deals with that soon, but I won't hold my breath.

Woods did a good job in the art but now is obvious he's still not done with Jason, because none of his latest teases were in this issue. So probably it will be in the annual.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Wonder what Lobdell has planned for the All-Caste/Ducra & Essence going foward. Outside of the Wingman reveal, I think its the only plot point left unaddressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Interesting issue.

It ties up all the plot points of Prince of Gotham in a nice bow so Jason can get involved in whatever nonsense Year of Villain demands. Is obvious that Lobdell's plans were once again derailed by editorial but all things considered, he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Jason is again alone but unlike the last time, he doesn't burn any bridges so the door is open for everyone to come back down the line (and I particularly enjoyed everything related to Isabel). The twist about Wingman is a bit contrived and goes against the back-up story of issue 25 so here's hoping Lobdell deals with that soon, but I won't hold my breath.

Woods did a good job in the art but now is obvious he's still not done with Jason, because none of his latest teases were in this issue. So probably it will be in the annual.
    How'd you feel about the arc as a whole?

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about it.

The character moments with Jason interacting with Isabel and Susie were fantastic, he has finally moved past his pain and allowed himself to get close to other people. But the actual plot was mediocre at best. Things happened without a clear reason, and everything was conveniently taken care of at the end, rendering pointless most of the arc.

It was clear that editorial once again stuck their noses in to derail Lobell's plans. But for what it was, it was alright.

A bit too rushed, and it does feel like they changed a few things from their initial plan. I didn't like how Miguel got out of the picture, but eh, events and stuff. And then it's no really a twist who Wingman is. But it was an enjoyable read. I suspect this whole arc will be better read as a trade, without monthly interruptions, because it was a more one-plot oriented arc, instead of almost autonomous issues.

Once more Lobdell did what he could. I knew things would get derailed once Bendis came aboard.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Still, glad he did right by Susie and her sisters. Gave them a way out of the criminal life and all. And Dog will have a good home.

But now, Jason plays teacher? That's a new role (barring pre-Flashpoint with him and Scarlet).

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Still, glad he did right by Susie and her sisters. Gave them a way out of the criminal life and all. And Dog will have a good home.

But now, Jason plays teacher? That's a new role (barring pre-Flashpoint with him and Scarlet).
    I really loved the interaction between Jason and Susie here. That was the best part of the issue to me. I'm also glad to see that Dog will have a good home.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Jason handles teaching duties to be honest. I think it'll be interesting.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

All valid negatives aside, I'm glad that this run managed to bring the current Jason closer to his UTH self in terms of strategic thinking and behaving like a veteran, long enough to feel like it's the status quo going onwards now.

Astonishing Member

I appreciate a writer who can elevate the workmanlike practice of being derailed by DCU events a bit.

I really hope we see the Suzie and the Su Sisters running the Iceberg Lounge stick around and keep Penguin on the outs for a bit. I mean some day, some writer is going to have not paid attention to this and just plop Ozzie back in the Lounge setting, but I'd like it to stick to validate Jason's scheme to at least take away everything that gives Penguin his legitimacy, padding, and ability to come across as clean. Frankly I'd like to see Penguin have to turn back to weird crime to try to fund-raise his next endeavor, giving him a bit more of that Golden/Silver Age vibe for a while - because he's been doing the Iceberg Lounge thing since TAS introduced it in the 90s. This would be a good excuse to see him have to go back to like ... people he left by the wayside years ago, that he'd only have to work with if he was desperate (The Red Triangle Circus, anyone?).

And uh yeah, cliche as all get out, but I really didn't see the Wingman reveal coming. It's so obvious! What? How? He can fly the Wingjet? Where'd he get Rundstrom's kit? Did he find it somewhere where Jason had dumped it? How's he trained? Was that part of the prison experiment jive? Is he the one holding Ma hostage? Is Young Faye Jason's cousin? Doesn't that imply an uncle or an aunt? Fwa???
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

The main clue for the reveal was him covering his arm in the prision or afterwards, I cannot remember when. But what he was about to say a few times, once in the previous issue, and the tittle he gave to Jason were also foreshadowings. Could have been redherrings, too, but...

Spectacular Member

Just read it. Wow it's great to know that Willis is still around! I thought he might be the real Willis when I saw him covering his right upper arm back to issue #30. Now he is working as his son's henchmen, and had been threatened to be killed if he's not loyal to his boss. What about Ma Gunn then? Is he going to tell him where she is trapped in?

A question: I can see how Willis and some other inmates exchanged/mixed their memories during the experiment, but how did the mark on Willis' right arm jump to this guy's? They were able to mix their physical appearances??
    Last edited by magpieM; 07-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpieM View Post
    Just read it. Wow it's great to know that Willis is still around! I thought he might be the real Willis when I saw him covering his right upper arm back to issue #30. Now he is working as his son's henchmen, and had been threatened to be killed if he's not loyal to his boss. What about Ma Gunn then? Is he going to tell him where she is trapped in?

A question: I can see how Willis and some other inmates exchanged/mixed their memories during the experiment, but how did the mark on Willis' right arm jump to this guy's? They were able to mix their physical appearances??
    Maybe Solitary was just his roommate and he read the letters and heard Willis' story first hand. We know Solitary can/could alter perception, which may explain how he got to pass as Willis when he went to Ma Gunn (even if that probably was really meant to be him but whatever: events, retcons, etc.). It wouldn't be the first time I read or watch a plot like that (without the powers, I mean).