Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lois' family - what version do you like?

I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure I've ever read an issue with Lois' mother. I did see her on Lois & Clark tv show, but that's about it. Actually, I take that back. There was a Post-COIE one where Sam was awful and embarrassing her and his daughters at a meal. I seem to remember that he was being written rather differently in Action Comics and Superman at the time.

For Sam Lane, I like the general. But not the evil general that launches false flag attacks and kills innocent citizens or is a war-monger. Rather one who simply doesn't trust Superman. Not thinks Superman is evil. Just doesn't extend trust to him. Rather like the first time I remember perceiving him in Rebirth (when Jon and Lois thought Clark might tell him secret). To him Superman is alien, unknowable, and a potential threat. Not a definite threat. Not someone he hates. Just someone you should be cautious around and have a defense against, should it become necessary. Of course, I wasn't counting his post-COIE characterization there, and hadn't seen anything else with him in N52/Rebirth at the time.

I've only read scattered Lucy. Don't really want her to be evil, either. Familiar with movie and tv versions. Though I certainly can see merit in the idea of her as someone less focused/driven than Lois who takes longer to find her way. Mostly because I believe almost everyone is less focused/driven than Lois. Don't really care for "dad was tough on Lois/tried to force her into a mold, because he wanted a boy, but better with Lucy" setup of at least early-post-COIE. Actually, I'd discard the wanting-a-boy bit probably. I have read some of her in the bronze age when Jimmy was dating Jennifer Owens and she wanted him back. I'm vaguely familiar with what happened with Ron, but haven't read it. Actually, if anyone who likes Lucy could recommend an era to read, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-10-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That was the Sam I liked. The fun part of Superman to me isn't the super people around him, it's the regular people who provide contrast. Sam as military emperor, the one and only guy who seems to matter, makes the cast look smaller and less diverse to me. Thunderbolt Lane with his schemes to sink Superman. I guess I'm fine with him just being a regular old man but you also have to differentiate him from pa.

Her mom probably had the biggest role post Our World's at War, as Sam's widow and finally free to be her irreverent self.

Lucy will always be tied to Jimmy. Superman's Pal was a fun title from what I've read, even before Kirby. I like her blowing him off though, then how Kesel wrote her and everything. But then I don't really remember what came after the baby with Ron. I think DeMatteis might have had the last word on that situation.

Susie... I don't remember where she actually came from, even with the New 52 bringing her back. She's due for another return.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Susie... I don't remember where she actually came from, even with the New 52 bringing her back. She's due for another return.
    I didn't know New 52 brought her back. I did think of her, but was thinking Golden Age and that no one cared about Lois having an older sister anymore. Or least, given the age of her daughter, I assumed the sister older back then.

Sam as military emperor, the one and only guy who seems to matter
    I agree that's a problem. But one general amongst the group is fine with me.

I guess I kinda like the idea of Sam Lane as someone you can look at and say "that's where Lois got it from" - the brains and bravery and the ability. Only she's better. And they use those skills/attributes in different ways.

However, I did like Lois & Clark: TNAS's first scientist take on him okay. Not so much the second one (Harve Presnell), where he was more comedic.

I do want him to be rational and a decent human being - her son got his middle name from him, after all.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-11-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Retired

I prefer Lois Lane from Pittsdale whose parents are Sam and Ella and there's nothing spectacular about them. I hate the General Sam Lane idea and I wish it had never existed. It's not like DC was hurting for more megalomaniacal high-ranking military men.

I have this idea of the original Lois Lane (from the 1930s and 1940s) as being someone who grew up in Metropolis and the city being in her blood. I don't know if that's based on anything in the comics or not. But I have this notion that her father was also a reporter--maybe a sports reporter--and she was always compared to her old man when she was trying to break into the biz. The family grew up in some place comparable to Hell's Kitchen and her older sister married a guy named Thompkins--who might have been in the military himself, but he was just a buck private in the infantry and had to go to Europe to fight in the war--which explains why aunt Lois so often babysat Susie, as the mother was working at her own job.

I've seen it said that silver age Lane's had a horse farm. Don't recall anything about golden age.

I'm amenable to other careers for her father. And if we ever remake them, please give her mother something to do. It's pathetic how little mothers in comics matter if there's any father at all. Bruce's dad is definitely more prominent than his mother. Jonathan gets more attention and storyline and "shaping Clark" stories than Martha (haven't read it yet, but heard that repeats in the book recently out), and Jor-El so far outstrips Lara in terms of importance to storylines, Krypton, and Clark himself it's not even a little bit funny. Raven, Starfire, post-COIE Wally, Guy Gardner, Hal Jordan all have dads more important to their stories.

Pretty much every character that isn't a "second-generation" (born to a hero mom) has this setup if either parent matters. And with the heroes that are parents being more likely to fathers than mothers (more male heroes), the cycle of "dad is the important parent" repeats with the next generation.

Not reporter, though. I like a Lois who forged her own path, did her own thing. Very independent-minded. So, I'd have neither parent be either reporter or investigator. And, though you aren't talking about today's version, we have enough legacies already now, and I wouldn't want to retcon a new one.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.

I loathe "evil general" Sam Lane, but I really like "regular military general" Sam Lane. I like having a character who looks at Superman pragmatically. Someone who isn't throwing him parades or trying to blow him up, but just recognizes that even though his intentions are noble he's still potentially a big problem for the country. I kind of think of Sam as being the "middle road" between super villains (hate Superman with a blind passion) and the public (love and trust Superman with a blind passion.....usually). Sam's not a bad guy, he's just not willing to trust a dude who's real name he doesn't even know with the security of America. In his shoes, I wouldn't either, and I think Sam opens up a lot of options for the narrative that avoid the super villain troupes while still providing conflict for the characters.

I like Lucy as the rebellious wild child who did everything she could to piss off her parents; while Lois certainly didnt follow in Sam's footsteps and he's constantly at odds with her over her life choices, I like the idea of Lucy being a hot mess of a person. Makes her more unpredictable, fun, and makes her bounce off of Jimmy real nicely.

Lois' mother.....I don't even remember her name right now......in my reading experience she was only ever a focus post-OW@W and I thought she was fine. No real opinion at all, which is a shame because Lois Lane's mother should be a character who gets more of a reaction out of me.

Never even knew Susie was a thing until the 52 and given the limited number of appearances Ive seen, I also have no opinion. I didn't care for the idea of her being a new hyper evolved human though (that whole Captain Comet thing from Morrison). I think Lois' life is wild and crazy enough as it is without needing a demigod niece. Good story, but not a role I really want or need to see.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The funny thing on Ella and Lucy: Ella's illness was cured by Lex post CoIE and this was just after... his original Superman clone exploded into dust that cured Lucy's blindness. Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I've seen it said that silver age Lane's had a horse farm. Don't recall anything about golden age.
    Ahhh man, I should be too young for my memory to do this. But the best I can recall is in the very late 300s of the bronze age Superman title and/or somewhere in the Superman family title, she went back home to a farm.

Retired

In the Schaffenberger days, Sam and Ella lived on a farm. Since most every farm had at least one horse (in the old days), they must have had one or more horses.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I don't like the General Thaddeus Sam Ross Lane incarnation of the character. I know writers think that a gruff General going after Superman may make for interesting stories, but it's such a rip off of the Hulk that you can't really enjoy it.

Well it was something that sure bugged me about Unchained quickly, that early confrontation. Being a military figure is fine, even crossing into the world of Superman.

But that shouldn't be his life. 60 years old and picking a fight with the strongest man in the world as a polished goon. "Realistically" all that stuff should encroach on his life, not the other way around.

Without it? They should all still have lives to lead. But if you show it on panel it should probably feel tailored to buffing the supporting cast. Off duty he shouldn't just be some other comic book senior citizen.

It was weird for Lois to consider herself even a former country girl. Guess that's how effective Kidder was on later generations. Kind of a nice contrast with this Clark though, as he wasn't really a small town guy. Smallville being small pre crisis was more about time (100 to 50 years ago to us now) than location (a farm on the outskirts of the midwest suburb)

Retired

Pre-Crisis, on Earth-One, Pittsdale was probably further away from Metropolis than Smallville. It often seemed like Smallville was very close to Metropolis. Given the name Pittsdale, I'd assume that was close to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.

I'm tired of dead parents being a requirement for comic book characters. Like both of the Kents, I'd have both of Lois' parents alive, and Ella would be every bit as influential on Lois as Sam was.

And Sam would be ultimately be a good guy, just a military man who is reasonably concerned about an idolized planet-buster running around unchecked, minus overfishing paranoia that Lex and Bruce have.

There should be a significant age difference between Lois (who is Clark's age or older: adult) and Lucy (who is Jimmy's age: teenager).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm tired of dead parents being a requirement for comic book characters. Like both of the Kents, I'd have both of Lois' parents alive, and Ella would be every bit as influential on Lois as Sam was.
    I'm actually more tired of parents having major roles. I prefer Lois' parents alive or dead to just be people you might pass on the street. Not prominent military man who shaped Lois' attitudes because she was determined to be the "son" he wanted or by her rebelling against his expectations. Not the neurotic mom we got on Lois & Clark who was just there to give Lois stress. If we really need the military background I'd rather Sam Lane be a guy who is lower down the chain of command with a wife who accepts that marrying a soldier was a trade-off against her own career advancement and is proud of how Lois found a better balance. Sam can still have the same concerns about Superman, but without being part of any military group directly involved in making Superman policy.

Astonishing Member

I thought Sam Lane was made a military type to add drama to the stories or at least thats the way it came off to me. He was a hard ass more or less to explain why Lois was tough. Her character description usually boils down to "tough as nails reporter, military brat" or something along those lines. But as there so often is in Superman there was a bit of a disconnect over time. In the 90's he was a hardass, in the 2000's he was a psychopath.

Ella Lane is no one, less of a character than Martha Kent or Lara.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I would like a big age gap between Lois and Lucy. Like RAIN MAN big (more than 10, less than 20 years).

People would understandably presume that Lucy was an "oops" baby who came along unexpected. But the reality would be that LOIS was the true "oops" baby that Sam and Ella had when they were very young.

Consequently, they were very unprepared parents with Lois. She had it rough growing up. Much later, when things are more stable, Sam and Ella actually try for a while to get Lucy, and are much better parents to her than they could have been to Lois.

Who consequently felt like she had to do so much more on her own, but aims most of that resentment at her parents, not Lucy.

Maybe for the next reboot.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 07-14-2019 at 04:11 AM.