Default Iron Man’s comicS

Hello Friends, howdy!

I spent the past weeks going through Iron Man comics the old ones and the new ones. I stopped reading Ironman comics (Comics in general) around Fractions run.

I decided to return to comics, and I am greatly disappointed in the state of Iron man’s comics. I leave for some time and I come to this fuckery. Every run after Fractions run is either bad or ridiculous. Granted, they all have good concept but the execution is either terrible or the story takes a ridiculous turn. None of the recent stories were great or intriguing.

The current run is also meh, I really love the concept and I did decide to continue reading it due to my unconditional love for iron man but I feel disappointed in the way marvel has been treating iron man.

It is depressing me how my favourite character is getting this horrible treatment. It’s like the writers don’t know what to do with Iron Man, they’d rather focus on the supporting cast than him.

A minor complain too; there’s a characterisation change within iron man due to MCU influence. It’s not bad, it’s just funny how they’d change his character but wouldn’t know which direction to take his story.

Is it just me? What do you guys think?
    Discuss! .. and most importantly, comfort me *sobs*

iMan 42s

I wouldn't say Iron man has a horrible treatment but it's definitely not the most well thought out.

Part of the issue with Iron man is that modern writers don't really know what to do with his villains as many are under the mindset that they're all just evil versions of himself. And while that is true in a superficial sense, there's quite a bit to them that just doesn't get explored outside of the various Crimson Dynamos and The Mandarin (or Fin Fang Foom who writers constantly revamp or try to ignore). You also have the issue of Iron man villains tending to get killed off. So while they have a good showing, Tony doesn't necessarily have a returning rogues gallery outside of those who pick up the name, or those who for some reason got a modern revamp like Ghost (who frankly has one of the weirder modern revamps). That puts a lot of the spotlight on Tony Stark as a result because you just don't normally have people to bounce off of. Hence why the supporting cast and frankly any strange development with Tony can be seen as a net-positive. Iron man just isn't structured like typical superhero fare.
    To the unprepared writer it can be kind of daunting because Tony Stark's world just isn't structured like Spider-man's or even Thor's.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I think maybe we got a little spoiled. We had Ellis, The Knaufs and Fraction in a row. IMO that's a lot of greatness. Then we got Gillen with the whole adoption thing in his run and Bendis putting Tony in a coma in his run. Got 2 bad runs in a row imo, but I'm glad as I am really enjoying Slott's run. He's taking Tony to different places and it's refreshing to see this. Also with the Ultron Agenda and Iron Man 2020 coming up. You see he has big plans for Tony and I'm excited for it. More excited than I have been in years.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-08-2019 at 02:33 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I always find it mystifying that Marvel has a difficult time getting a good Iron Man title going and yet he's been the flagship character of the MCU along with Captain America. But then I find a lot of Marvel titles lackluster these days. The only one I really like is Runaways.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I wouldn't say Iron man has a horrible treatment but it's definitely not the most well thought out.

Part of the issue with Iron man is that modern writers don't really know what to do with his villains as many are under the mindset that they're all just evil versions of himself. And while that is true in a superficial sense, there's quite a bit to them that just doesn't get explored outside of the various Crimson Dynamos and The Mandarin (or Fin Fang Foom who writers constantly revamp or try to ignore). You also have the issue of Iron man villains tending to get killed off. So while they have a good showing, Tony doesn't necessarily have a returning rogues gallery outside of those who pick up the name, or those who for some reason got a modern revamp like Ghost (who frankly has one of the weirder modern revamps). That puts a lot of the spotlight on Tony Stark as a result because you just don't normally have people to bounce off of. Hence why the supporting cast and frankly any strange development with Tony can be seen as a net-positive. Iron man just isn't structured like typical superhero fare.
    To the unprepared writer it can be kind of daunting because Tony Stark's world just isn't structured like Spider-man's or even Thor's.
    True. I mean can’t these “creative” writers introduce new Villains? To me, it just seems like they put no effort in making his stories thought-provoking, sure good concept but that’s about it. I do agree that the writers don’t know what to do with Iron Man which led me to believe marvel is giving him the bad treatment. Iron man comics are assigned to hack writers that have no idea what to do with his character. If Marvel put some respect on his name , they could at least provide a writer that is willing to write him and do it just.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I think maybe we got a little spoiled. We had Ellis, The Knaufs and Fraction in a row. IMO that's a lot of greatness. Then we got Gillen with the whole adoption thing in his run and Bendis putting Tony in a coma in his run. Got 2 bad runs in a row imo, but I'm glad as I am really enjoying Slott's run. He's taking Tony to different places and it's refreshing to see this. Also with the Ultron Agenda and Iron Man 2020 coming up. You see he has big plans for Tony and I'm excited for it. More excited than I have been in years.
    We did get spoiled before lel good things don’t last forever *sobs*

Friend, I’m trying to enjoy Slotts Ironman. Still up to date with it but I am not feeling it at all. TT^TT
    these events could go either ways. If Slott is writing them, I have no hopes tbh. I really don’t enjoy what ever he push especially how he handled SpiderMan. When are the events dropping?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I always find it mystifying that Marvel has a difficult time getting a good Iron Man title going and yet he's been the flagship character of the MCU along with Captain America. But then I find a lot of Marvel titles lackluster these days. The only one I really like is Runaways.
    Preach Brother!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I don't know why, but this thread makes me wish for a Nextwave 2 with snarky Iron Man in the cast. Him vs the Nextwave Fin Fang Foom (pants, lusty, no "parts" to use for lusty purposes) just sounds hilarious. But then, Nextwave was the first "laugh out loud" read I'd encountered in years....possibly since classic JLI.

Mighty Member

The adoption angle was almost certainly forced in to the Gillen/Land run by editorial, in preparation for the Bendis run. (Bendis wanted to push the adoption angle in his run....and promptly lost interest in using Arno.) The best evidence for this on page (beyond understanding how Marvel's internal ops work) is the design on the God Killer suit.

Visually, the God Killer resembles an "ancient" variation of a Stark suit, almost like Tony (rather than Arno) was meant to pilot it. My guess is that the design work for the God Killer was done before the mandated back-write (revealing the adoption) was passed down. Gillen made the adoption angle work with his high concept (the use and morality of technology, and the effects on people using it). But, it is an unfortunatem, and detrimental asterisk. (Read "Believe" and "Fatal Frontier". And, if you can find it, concurrent issues of "Uber" published by Avatar Press. They compliment each other nicely.)

I do not think that Gillen has an formal training as a futurist. But, he clearly researched either that field or just studied the history of technology before he started writing "Iron Man" or "Uber".

Tom Taylor's run ("Superior Iron Man") nicely flips Gillen's "moral use of technology" concept around, with a hilariously depraved Tony engaging in all manner of bad behavior.

I want to like Slott's run. But, I just cannot get behind it. (Not sure that Slott has the background or mindset to write about futurism.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/