Default Greatest Rogues Galleries in all of Fiction

Looking for your top 5 rogues galleries across all Fiction, from any franchise in any media.

Some ground rules:

1. All galleries must be composed of entries that are completely and unambiguously fictional: no historical or religious figures whatsoever. Pro wrestlers are out as well.

2. All entries must belong wholly or mostly to that franchise alone (i.e. Superman and Batman are NOT part of each other's rogues gallery, Deathstroke does not belong to Batman, Lobo does not belong to Superman, etc).

3. Team franchises (JL, Avengers, X-Men, etc) can claim other teams (Injustice Gang, Sentinels) or team-specific villains (Doctor Doom, Magneto), but not solo- specific villains of their own team members (Sabretooth).

4. Quality and Quantity of specific antagonists count and are weighted the same.

5. Points system = +5 for #1, +4 for #2, +3 for #3, +2 for #4, +1 for #5. If you list less than 5, the preceding still applies. You list more than 5, nothing after the top 5 will be counted. A running tally will be kept periodically, and feel free to check my work.

6. No ties or slot-sharing. Only 5 franchises allowed. If you can't decide between the two, then please don't list either.

7. Any franchise from any medium is eligible, be it comic books, comic strips, manga / anime, tv, movies, cartoons, video games, books, etc.

8. Any entry can be reasonably questioned on suspicion of trolling (i.e. if you list, say, Barb Wire, be prepped to defend that answer).

9. Team entries can't list individual members if they are already part of a team themselves , i.e. don't list Autobots and then count Megatron and Starscream separately when they're both under Decepticons, same with GI Joe and others.

10. Batman is very likely winning this in a landslide, but don't let that possibility stop you from entering.

Whew! Lot more rules than I initially planned! Hopefully this will still be fun.

Ok, here we go.

Me:

5. Dick Tracy +1
    (probably one of, if not THE, first notable rogues gallery, and for sheer size it's here but due to no character development, goes no further)

4. Flash +2
    (Reverse Flash, Captain Cold, Grodd, Heat Wave, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, etc)

3. Superman +3
    (Luthor, Brainiac, Zod, Doomsday, Mongul, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Manchester Black, Cyborg Superman, etc)

2. Spider-Man +4
    (Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Venom, Kraven, Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Carnage, etc)

1. Batman +5
    (Joker, Two-Face, Ras al Ghul, Bane, Scarecrow, Riddler, Man-Bat, Penguin, Scarface, etc)

That's mine. What's yours?

Questions:

Franchises differ from companies, I'm assuming? i.e. Cartoon Network wouldn't count as a franchise despite numerous crossovers in various commercials, bumpers, and individual episodes, right? But Scooby-Doo even with its numerous crossovers and iterations would incorporate all those (Mystery Inc., classic, Scooby-Doo movies, Laff-a-Lympics, etc.)? I assume you'll let me know if any portion of my list misses the mark.

Do anti-heroes count? (i.e. Catwoman [Batman], Faith LeHane [Buffy], Mewtwo [Pokemon], etc.)

What of rogues from the past or from alternate media-- for instance, would Batman include 60's show villains, golden age, silver age, current, animated series, movie-only, etc.? Would we choose specific versions? i.e. Heath Ledger Joker or Lego Joker or Frank Gorshin Riddler or TAS Ra's al Ghul or whatever?

These are our personal favorite choices, right? Not the ones we think are objectively the best?

I'll give it a go and change things as need be once the questions are answered... although I'm gonna only choose one favorite per medium (because I'm weird).

5. (1 pt)- Buffyverse [mostly live-action tv] (Dark Willow, Vamp Willow, Angelus, Glory, Spike, Drusilla, Anyanka, Illyria, Jasmine, the Gentlemen, Mayor Wilkins, Faith Lehane, Vamp Tara (video game), Ripper (video game), Adam, the Master, the First, etc.)

Why only one point? Some are hit or miss, IMO and while there's many great choices, I'm not sure if all 'count' given the rules (yet). Some fall in that grey area, others may be video game or comics-centric, or what-have-you. Also, while a great rogues cast, I really only have a handful of 'real' favorites among them.

4. (2 pts)- Weapon Brown [parody webcomic] (The Syndicate, Cal-v.1n, H.O.B.S., Croc, the Garf, Dr. Van Pelt, Linus, Great Pumpkin, etc.)

The comic is very crude and NSFW, but I love how creative the artist/writer was in assigning post-apocalyptic sensibilities to familiar funny-page characters to make them truly twisted or darkly comedic villains. Even the heroes usually have an amoral edge. It would have been #5, but I think the zany creative skewing of the characters edged it slightly above Buffy for me (at the moment).

3. (3 pts) Kingdom Hearts [video games] (Jafar, Ursula, Maleficent, Pete, Ansem, Organization XIII, the Wicked Queen, Oogie Boogie, Captain Hook, the Heartless, Sephiroth, Scar, Chernabog, Syndrome, etc.)

I'm kinda cheating with this one, but I love how it crosses over most Disney villains with some originals, and a few Final Fantasy ones sprinkled in. It's a bit lower because while most of the Disney ones are close to those we know and love, they're changed to fit the narrative somewhat which kind of lessens them to me... just a smidge.

2. (4 pts) Gravity Falls [animated tv] (Bill Cipher, Gideon Gleeful, Bud Gleeful, Teeth, Hexagorn, Summerween Trickster, Gremloblin, Anti-Mabel (comics), Lumberjack ghost, the Northwests, the gnomes, the Society of the Blind Eye, Giffany, etc.)

This is my favorite tv show, but it was a hard choice to make. There were several animated shows that were strong contenders. In the end, though, I opted for this one as it has a good mix of serious threats and goofy fun. They can vary from silly to deceiving to actually creepy. Again, being my favorite tv show of all time (for now) probably helped.

1. (5 pts)- Wonder Woman [comics] (Circe, Ares, Cheetah, Silver Swan, Doctor Psycho, Angle Man, Genocide, Devastation, Akolyne, Blue Snowman, Queen Clea, Giganta, Doctor Poison, White Magician, Mouse Man, Baroness Paula Von Gunter, etc.)

Yeah, I know, Batman, Flash, and Spider-Man have the more well-known rogues and I love them too. Part of my choosing Wonder Woman, though, is that her rogues don't get nearly enough respect, IMO. Part of that is editorial limitations (according to Phil Jimenez, IIRC), lack of modernization, and just lack of visibility. Doctor Psycho should be one of the most feared DCU villains, I'd think, as he doesn't want you dead or dismembered-- he wants to always be that errant gross and disturbing thought that flashes in your mind, leaving you wondering if it's just a trick of your wandering brain or if he's free again and getting off on tormenting you. He enjoys making your most cherished memories perverse and watching his victim twist among the illusions and distorted memories. At least the Joker usually kills his victims, ending their misery. Psycho wants to be a part of their suffering for as long as he can.

Question: For example James Bond's rogues do they count, even though they never all teamed up as one group?
    Star Trek franchise the same, has a bunch of villains I love, but (although I would love to see it; Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, Khan, Lore, Borg, etc.) they were never really all a team, which the theme somewhat invokes. Same Dr. Who.?
    Do Godzilla's, even though they often appear in vs., they are also sometimes inadvertently allies too?
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-09-2019 at 04:15 PM.

I'm going to exclude all of the extremely popular ones for obvious reasons.

I'd go with Wolverine (+4) and Firehawk (+5) for the big two.
    Then, I wonder if you'd agree, if I said Ed, Edd, N Eddy (The Kankers, Rolfe, etc.) (+3)
    Austin Powers (+2)
    and finally
    Roger Rabbit (+1)
    Last edited by TheRay; 10-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    5. Dick Tracy +1
    (probably one of, if not THE, first notable rogues gallery, and for sheer size it's here but due to no character development, goes no further)
    In all fairness to Gould's rogues, they didn't get any character development because Chisle-Chinned Tracy generally didn't leave them breathing long enough for very much personal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Part of my choosing Wonder Woman, though, is that her rogues don't get nearly enough respect, IMO.[/I]
    This is precisely why I chose Wolverine and Firehawk.

In all fairness to Gould's rogues, they didn't get any character development because Chisle-Chinned Tracy generally didn't leave them breathing long enough for very much personal growth.
    It's worse in the Disney movie as they kill almost all his bad guys in the first 10 min!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    do they count, even though they never all teamed up as one group?
    Why do you think this is a requirement? There are comic book rogues that have not ever teamed up as one group before. I think Wonder Woman is the best example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Why do you think this is a requirement? There are comic book rogues that have not ever teamed up as one group before. I think Wonder Woman is the best example of this.
    Wonder Woman's rogues have teamed up and become groups before. Numerous times.

Whether or not my example works is irrelevant. The point still stands.

Naruto: He beats the living crap out of them, talks to the ones he has personal connection to or relate to in some way and they remedy their mistakes or change their ways.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

FANTASTIC FOUR +1
    (DOOM, Namor, Annihilus, Skrulls (+Super Skrull), Frightful Four, Galactus)

STAR TREK +2
    (The Borg, Prof J. Moriarty, Lore (Evil Data), Gul Dukat, Romulans, Duras Sisters, Khannnnn, Q)

WARHAMMER 40k +3
    (CHAOS Gods - Khorne/Nurgle/Slaanesh/Tzeentch)
    (CHAOS Space Marines - Heretical Space Marines are legions that betrayed the Emperor to serve CHAOS under a specific deity/United or none at all)
    (Eldar (Space Elves)
    (Orks (Space Orks)
    (Necrons (Space Terminators)
    (Tyranids (think Aliens but much, much more nasty)
    (Tau (Space Communists with Mecha)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Well Big Boy has enough character development to be portrayed by Al Pacino at least.

I'm not entirely sure on the rules but...
    Powerpuff Girls +1
    the Legend of Zeldaverse +2
    Star Trek +3
    Buffyverse +4
    Batman +5
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It's worse in the Disney movie as they kill almost all his bad guys in the first 10 min!
    People wonder why Batman does not kill his rogues. This, this is why.