Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Amazing Spider-Man 2" Brings in $35 Million on Friday

The sequel to the 2012 film looks like it will bring in more than $90 million during its North American opening weekend.

Full article here.

According to other new's outlet's this movie's budget was about 255 million,combined with marketing and everything else 752 million. It needs to make excess of that worldwide to warrant further iterations based on the villains and such. Hopefully it will not achieve that in some form so as to open a window of possibly going back to disney/marvel.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    According to other new's outlet's this movie's budget was about 255 million,combined with marketing and everything else 752 million. It needs to make excess of that worldwide to warrant further iterations based on the villains and such. Hopefully it will not achieve that in some form so as to open a window of possibly going back to disney/marvel.
    Will never happen. You do not give back a property that you have a perpetual license for that has the potential to make you billions. There is no amount of money Disney can given Sony that will equate to the amount of lost revenue Sony could potentially earn in the decades to come. The only way Disney gets Spider-Man back is if Sony finds itself in deep financial trouble where the difference between bankruptcy and solvency is selling back Spidey.

Even if this movie is a dud, others will not be. It just means Sony will need to tapir back the sequels' & the spinoffs' budgets and actually focus on better scripts.

I can't see the comparison to Spider-Man 3's opening as relevant. I imagine a lot of the lesser opening numbers being due to heads up/word of mouth and spoiler fatigue from their decision to launch it so long ago overseas. Add to that, Spider-Man 3 is likely the reason this one's scrambling. Who didn't see all the bad guys in the trailers for Amazing 2 and instantly think of the crapfest Spider-Man 3 was? You'd think they'd have learned from the reaction and disdain their previous franchise gets from the sour taste that left in many mouths.

I'm taking the little one to see it this week so here's hoping I like it at least!

BANNED

The first Amazing Spiderman put me to sleep because it took too long getting to the events that I already knew were coming. I have no excitement to see this second movie because I imagine the same thing is going to happen. I rewatched the first movie a few months ago but it did little to improve my opinion of it. It really just confirmed what I originally thought - it was too soon for a Spiderman reboot. I will wait until TASM2 drops on Blue Ray.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    The first Amazing Spiderman put me to sleep because it took too long getting to the events that I already knew were coming. I have no excitement to see this second movie because I imagine the same thing is going to happen. I rewatched the first movie a few months ago but it did little to improve my opinion of it. It really just confirmed what I originally thought - it was too soon for a Spiderman reboot. I will wait until TASM2 drops on Blue Ray.
    They waited 5 years between SM 3 and ASM 1. How long should Sony have sat on this property?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    They waited 5 years between SM 3 and ASM 1. How long should Sony have sat on this property?
    Maybe they should have let Raimi make the movie that he wanted to make in Spiderman 3 first of all. Secondly, 5 years is not that big of a gap between a movie series and a reboot that doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of something different. Of course, people who want to justify the reboot will argue the differences but I can't/won't.

I agree with your take on the movie. I also was underwhelmed by the Lizard as a villain. I was bored on my second watching on TV.
    I don't know if it was too soon, but to replace the franchise with a passably acceptable movie didn't work for me.

Maybe they should have let Raimi make the movie that he wanted to make in Spiderman 3 first of all. Secondly, 5 years is not that big of a gap between a movie series and a reboot that doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of something different. Of course, people who want to justify the reboot will argue the differences but I can't/won't.
    I guess Sony was worried about potentially losing the movie rights if they didn't produce a movie. Seems the consensus is a movie has to be produced within a 7 year span, or the rights are lost. Happened with Daredevil, Elektra, etc, so Fox lost the movie rights. Sony wouldn't lose the rights to something so valuable after spending money on buying it and making so much money off the initial trilogy. Fox was in danger of losing F4 if they didn't start production on a movie and look at what they're doing.

As far as the first and second movie...I think the biggest factor that killed my enjoyment of the first one was that it was so dark. Spider-Man thrives in bright colours and sunny days. The first movie seemed to mostly take place at night during all the Spider-Man stuff. The second movie is correcting that with Spidey being outside during the day when a lot of the action seems to be taking place.

I'll still go see it and hopefully it's more entertaining than the first one.

Will never happen. You do not give back a property that you have a perpetual license for that has the potential to make you billions. There is no amount of money Disney can given Sony that will equate to the amount of lost revenue Sony could potentially earn in the decades to come. The only way Disney gets Spider-Man back is if Sony finds itself in deep financial trouble where the difference between bankruptcy and solvency is selling back Spidey.

Even if this movie is a dud, others will not be. It just means Sony will need to tapir back the sequels' & the spinoffs' budgets and actually focus on better scripts.
    They won't give it back,but this film success hinges on them making films about the villains in order to try and extend the material for other films. I doubt people will go see films about the sinister six. Given how lame venom was in SM3. It can be very risky to do a solo venom film.

Sony isn't far from financial trouble. They have been in their entertainment division. The reviews on this film have not been good. No matter the name of the character,a dud is a dud. Not saying it would happen immediately,but if they try to milk everything out of it,then I can see where it could go back because they put it in a whole much like Batman & Robin was put in.

Sony won't focus on scripts...the idea of making films about the sinister six is in of itself a bad idea. That is just desperation to keep the property at sony. Desperation doesn't lead to good films.

I am sure many people said Ghost Rider or DD or Blade never going back to Marvel,yet it happened.

BANNED

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    I am sure many people said Ghost Rider or DD or Blade never going back to Marvel,yet it happened.
    Apples and Oranges. None of those properties ever came close to having the widespread commercial potential of Spider-Man. They were guppies, Spider-Man is a whale.

If I were Sony, I'd be a little worried about the opening day in North America. The estimates are that it did about $35 million on Friday. That's not even close to the top 10. That's a number that's a lot closer to Iron Man (2008) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). In the end, ASM2 could win still win the box office in the summer (although, I think it'll be Transformers 4), but I don't think this is the kind of start Sony were hoping for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I guess Sony was worried about potentially losing the movie rights if they didn't produce a movie. Seems the consensus is a movie has to be produced within a 7 year span, or the rights are lost. Happened with Daredevil, Elektra, etc, so Fox lost the movie rights. Sony wouldn't lose the rights to something so valuable after spending money on buying it and making so much money off the initial trilogy. Fox was in danger of losing F4 if they didn't start production on a movie and look at what they're doing.
    But this is what irked me about the announcement of a reboot - they gave us this movie in Spider-man 3 that felt like creative control was ripped from Raimi's hands and it really left the characters' stories open. I mean, I had no closure at all. I can't help but think Raimi would have righted the ship if he was given the chance to make Spider-Man 4 without interference. They didnt' have to reboot the series. It felt like they were just riding the dark and grounded wave of The Dark Knight. Now the series seems to be taking a tonal shift, drawing from the recent Marvel Studios movies. I can't help but feel like The Amazing Spiderman series was an unnecessary change with an identity crisis.
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 05-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.

But this is what irked me about the announcement of a reboot - they gave us this movie in Spider-man 3 that felt like creative control was ripped from Raimi's hands and it really left the characters' stories open. I mean, I had no closure at all. I can't help but think Raimi would have righted the ship if he was given the chance to make Spider-Man 4 without interference. They didnt' have to reboot the series. It felt like they were just riding the dark and grounded wave of The Dark Knight. Now the series seems to be taking a tonal shift, drawing from the recent Marvel Studios movies. I can't help but feel like The Amazing Spiderman series was an unnecessary change with an identity crisis.
    Raimi walked away from Spider-Man 4. He wasn't happy with 3 and couldn't get a story together in time for Sony. Rather than make another bad movie, he told Sony to just go ahead with the already-in-the-planning reboot.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-didnt-happen/
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Yep.

Apples and Oranges. None of those properties ever came close to having the widespread commercial potential of Spider-Man. They were guppies, Spider-Man is a whale.
    Blade? Written by David Goyer? one of the movies that restarted The comic book films is a guppie?