Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Everything about it was a drag. Completely, absolutely terrible in every way. So bad it made the art bad, too.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman322 View Post
    oh wally you're feeling alone? let us put you in solitary confinement where you'll feel even more alone.
    Good summary.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Amazing Member

I guess it's neat that you care so much about a fictional character, DC must have done something right. No love for the finale, cepts fer tha art. A little surprised, but I get nothing out of being in the majority, Thanks for responding!

All-New Member

I loved it for what it did for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold - hope they get a series from this

I hated it for what it did to Wally - like a lot. Some people can just be positive, y’know? Wally was one of those

And the end was just kinda..... meh

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsayer View Post
    I loved it for what it did for Blue Beetle and Booster Gold - hope they get a series from this

I hated it for what it did to Wally - like a lot. Some people can just be positive, y’know? Wally was one of those

And the end was just kinda..... meh
    I agree the end was kinda meh. I also agree about Booster and Blue Beetle. And I don't disagree with what you said about Wally but sometimes people that are really positive can have something so terrible happen to them that they lose their positivity. And that even the most ethical among us (or among comic characters) can be brought to doing something so awful it's nigh on unforgivable. That was a radical thing for a comic book to say and that's why Wally's storyline was moving to me. It showed that even superheroes can be brought down by trauma or emotional health issues, even the most positive of them. It wouldn't have meant as much to me if it had happened to a character we all regard to be negative.

Not trying to start up another HiC debate. Just trying to shed a tiny bit of light on why some of us liked something that the vast majority of us hated.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Not trying to start up another HiC debate. Just trying to shed a tiny bit of light on why some of us liked something that the vast majority of us hated.
    That's my question though. DID the vast majority hate it??
    These boards were EXTREMELY negative, (deservedly so IMO) but are we the majority??
    It was selling like 70K an issue, so not a total flop.
    I'm trying hard to be neutral about this one as I don't think I've hated a story more.
    Does anyone have any figures to support or disprove??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    It was selling like 70K an issue, so not a total flop.
    70K is the number of issues ordered by the shops. We will never know how well it really sold.

And you can’t expect people to ignore a book featuring Wally West, the symbole of the Rebirth. You wouldn’t believe te number of readers (who never go on boards like CBR) who thought Wally would be innocent and have his family back at the end of the story.

And people, like myself, were eager to know what was really going to happen and if DC was really crossing the line.

Maybe Flash Foward will help us to see if we were in the minority or the majority. The fact that HiC #9 wasn’t even in the top 10 should raise some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    70K is the number of issues ordered by the shops. We will never know how well it really sold.

And you can’t expect people to ignore a book featuring Wally West, the symbole of the Rebirth. You wouldn’t believe te number of readers (who never go on boards like CBR) who thought Wally would be innocent and have his family back at the end of the story.

And people, like myself, were eager to know what was really going to happen and if DC was really crossing the line.

Maybe Flash Foward will help us to see if we were in the minority or the majority. The fact that HiC #9 wasn’t even in the top 10 should raise some questions.
    If it was doing horrible the amount of issue sold to shops would go down by a lot, Shops are pretty smart about ordering stuff which is why Captain Marvel can go from issue 1 90k to issue 2 30k. Issue 9 not being in the top ten does really mean anything it was 12. It went from #8 79,512 to #12 77,582 which isn't a crazy drop and they had some strong stuff out that month like Deceased 1, Savage Avengers 1, Batman last knight on earth 1,etc. It stayed in top ten books order until 9 which is pretty good metric of success. By only visible numbers we have to measure success it did good books that consistently hold high orders is generally indicator of success.

Astonishing Member

I got lost while reading and didnt quite get it. So i lost interest and didnt bother reading the last issue...

I may be to dumb for that story...

BANNED

I didn't dislike it but it wasn't really a story but just an event to shock people using deaths and to give Wally a new direction.

Hopefully the Sanctuary home is here to stay because it resolves some of my headcanon like how, why and when could Cyborg met the Teen Titans and when did he joined the Justice League. With the inclusion of Sanctuary you can just have the Justice League send Cyborg there on weekends for therapy to cope and except his condition and while there he meets various members of the Teen Titans who are there to deal with their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well, the art was great at least.
    The art was good in Cry for Justice as well. It didn't stop it from being a piece of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The art was good in Cry for Justice as well. It didn't stop it from being a piece of ****.
    Did you see me saying otherwise? I merely pointed out the book was at least nice to look at.

I can get a lot of Wally's psychology in this story. Some of it, though, made no sense.

Somehow Harley being able to take Wonder Woman's lasso and tie Batman up with it while she and Superman look on helplessly? Now IIRC, Supes has super-speed and really should have been able to speed in and remove the lasso. Wonder Woman should have more control over possession of her lasso. I can see that happening in a Vivid prono parody movie, but in an actual comic? And Batman allowing an opponent to lasso him and tie him up?

Batman and Flash not able to find Harley, but Barbara does?

Wa;ly had a major problem, but it's a problem the Trinity should have been able to understand, if not do anything about. "Something happened to reality, my wife no longer knows me, and my kids no longer exist. And brand new blowing up enough to kill power?

Yeah, this was bad.

I liked when Wally got hit in the nuts both figuratively and literally

Why was/what was the reasoning behind why Poison Ivy the one resurrected again?

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Why was/what was the reasoning behind why Poison Ivy the one resurrected again?
    In-story, I imagine it was due to her connection with the Green and some part of her living on in that rose that Harley took from her in #2. But it's never explained.

Out-of-story, I think there were several contributing factors. The team planning the book needed some way to motivate Harley, but they didn't want to give up having Ivy around (even though DC hardly use her). I also think King had this idea of rehabilitating Ivy throughout his run at DC, and thought this could be a good way to seal the deal for a more heroic Ivy. I also think they wanted someone suitable innocent and passive person that Wally could confess to.

Except that modern villanous Ivy has been built on the premise of being a victim of violence from men against herself and against nature. Having her become better by being killed by a man and then being resurrected as some form of empty slate just stinks.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])