Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite X-novel?

Generation X was probably my favorite series when I first started trying out some X-Men novels, and while all three were pretty solid stories, the first one really landed strongest, I think, because Lobdell co-wrote it. Really didn't miss a beat from the comics.

Crossroads was probably my second favorite, with Genegoths bringing up the rear.

It's always strange to me that Marvel doesn't produce more novelizations. I'd love to see some defunct series like X-Men Evolution get the novelization series treatment. But that's probably a random request. haha

Either way, with as big as fan fiction is...I'm surprised Marvel doesn't do more with their books. I guess if I have one main gripe about the X-books in general, it would be that nothing of any real consequence can happen to the main characters. Which means they usually have to create new side characters in the books (which they often do) which then are the ones used as fodder for real consequence and impact.

That's why I think it'd be interesting for them to have a novel series that is *just* the novel series, like they do with the films. Surprised they've never done it before.

Anyway -- what's your favorite X-novel?

image1 (10).jpg

Incredible Member

X MEN MUTANT EMPIRE. It was a trilogy of books. Christopher Golden was the writer. THAT'S how you portray Cyclops. Came out mid to lates 90s. Same time vicinity as those Gen X novels I've read a slew of them. They had them for other Marvel characters as well. I read X Men 3 parters crossing over with both Spider-Man and Avengers. But MUTANT EMPIRE was my favorite.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    X MEN MUTANT EMPIRE. It was a trilogy of books. Christopher Golden was the writer.
    Those are the only X-novels i have read but i liked them a lot.

X-Men/Avengers: The Gamma Quest Trilogy by Greg Cox. It came out in 1999, but by reading it, it takes place around the Summer of 1998, because it barrows from the X-Men books of the period and the Kurt Busiek Avengers run. It even mentions Warbird's alcoholism.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Those are the only X-novels i have read but i liked them a lot.

Loved how he wrote Jott as a couple and individually. I liked how he wrote most of the characters
    It's so long since I looked at those books, but I can still remember passages. One was Wolverine hated taking orders from Cyclops, knowing he was the boss, but everything he respected and admired most about the X Men was represented by Cyclops. Another was Scott, every bit the hero, filled with impractical ideals and the guts to try to make them happen. Those quotes may not be exact, but I'd wager they were pretty close.

Yeah, Gamma Quest, that's what it was. IIRC, the Spider-Man crossover may have been Time's Arrow. Might have been by Tom Defalco.

There are novels now?!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    There are novels now?!
    Are you kidding? They have been around for decades. Here is a list from my copy of Vol one the Gamma Quest Trilogy from 1999.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My favorite is their story in The Marvel Superheroes:
    1357143.jpg

Incredible Member

They also had some in the 2000s. Maybe mid 2000s. I remember reading 2 X Men related trilogies.
    One was called CHAOS ENGINE. Doom, Magneto and Red Skull each have a cosmic cube and remake reality. The other was about the Legacy virus. LEGACY QUEST? I liked them both.

I'm not surprised by that list. There were a lot and I read a lot of them. Virtually all the X Men ones.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I was fond of 'An X-cellent death' by Kate Novak

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

I like the X-men Last Stand novelization because it's by Claremont, so I consider those description deliciously Dark Phoenix canon.

There are some beautiful lines, and the moments occuring between minds are cool. It's awesome being able to feel and smell and think like the characters he usually had us just see.

A particular scene where Jean plays with a molecule stands out to me for some reason.

Yesterday this arrived for me:

I thanks a lot to the poster who let me know about it, I can't recall who was.

Believe it or not, this novel is the only time (apart from a short story for MCP in which Longshot had a race with kangaroos and tried to travel the Dreamtime) that Nocenti wrote her own creations after the former Limited Series: Mojo, Spiral, Ricochet Rita and Longshot himself.

I think I'm gonna enjoy it

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Are those like books, or thick comics?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Talking only when it comes to those that I own: they're common book format. 'An X-Cellent Death' is 190 pages and it's a pocket book, exactly as those old 'Choose Your Own Adventure'. 'Prisoner X' is 294 pages, also paperback.

I've got too 'X-Men' and 'X2' (the movies) novelizations, which are a bit bigger paperback books as well.

Gamma Quest Trilogy
    Mutant Empire
    Soul Killer