Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Though to be fair some of the problems of these newer versions is the director and such thinking that they can do the movie better than the already well loved Disney animated version, and many of the newer versions then fall flat for those changes...

Astonishing Member

It was good, but not great. It wasn't a shot for shot remake like Beauty and the Beast, but it had the opportunity to be so much more. A lot of side characters could have (and should have) been way better fleshed out, especially with the absence of Mu-Shu. (Who I agree with you need to cut if you want to get any of China's market)

Also, How the heck did this movie cost 200M dollars?!?!? It looked super-cheaply made. I was expecting super big budget awesome war/fighting scenes but it wasn't like that at all. CGI also looked really cheap and in so many shots, it was super obvious that it was in a studio.

On the plus side, it was actually slightly more authentic to the actual story of Mulan. I enjoyed the new "witch" character as well.

If I were going to rewatch, I would opt to watch the original instead.

I liked it. It wasn't great... and it wasn't necessarily better than the original. But it was a fun movie. It was visually pretty. The action was fun. Nothing particularly sucked about it.

It's basically what you would expect from a Disney remake. Or maybe a bit more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

You know, if Disney would actually do remakes of films that need a do-over, I would understand this. But remaking films that were already widely loved, and often at far inferior quality, is a pain to deal with.

So, they've already remade most of the Disney Renaissance films. But not Hercules, Little Mermaid (yet), Pocahontas (honestly, this one could do with a remake, overall), Rescuers, and Tarzan.
    Nothing needs a do over Disney is just buying time till they can remake cartoons over with CGI animation. Their businesses are interconnected and their job is to make each generation of kids have some sort nostalgic value for some properties so idea of going to Disney park or cruise seem like a good idea. So having stuff around to push to a generation of kids to products like the live action things is key. Stuff like Cinderella, Sword in the Stone, Bambi,etc over due to redone animated once they do one and works they can start going through the library.

What they need do to hit some of the deep cuts like Atlantis the lost empire or Treasure Planet but imagining failing twice on a movie. But yeah Heracles, Little Mermaid(being made),Pocahontas(good luck,), Emperor News Groove, Lilo&Stitch(being made),Tarzan(someone did a solid one in 2016) Tangled(being made),Princess and Frog, and Brave, Moana and Frozen(yeah those two can be used already by time they make through rest) . They are just about out of the sure shot hits to live action. There is nothing sexy in the Fox vault either Titan AE, Anastasia and Fern Gully, Ice Age and Rio.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    CGI also looked really cheap and in so many shots, it was super obvious that it was in a studio.
    Thats imo often the case if you watch a movie made for 3D in cinema on a 2D TV-Screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nothing needs a do over Disney is just buying time till they can remake cartoons over with CGI animation. Their businesses are interconnected and their job is to make each generation of kids have some sort nostalgic value for some properties so idea of going to Disney park or cruise seem like a good idea. So having stuff around to push to a generation of kids to products like the live action things is key. Stuff like Cinderella, Sword in the Stone, Bambi,etc over due to redone animated once they do one and works they can start going through the library.

What they need do to hit some of the deep cuts like Atlantis the lost empire or Treasure Planet but imagining failing twice on a movie. But yeah Heracles, Little Mermaid(being made),Pocahontas(good luck,), Emperor News Groove, Lilo&Stitch(being made),Tarzan(someone did a solid one in 2016) Tangled(being made),Princess and Frog, and Brave, Moana and Frozen(yeah those two can be used already by time they make through rest) . They are just about out of the sure shot hits to live action. There is nothing sexy in the Fox vault either Titan AE, Anastasia and Fern Gully, Ice Age and Rio.
    Don't they have a live version of Lost Empire in the works? As one of my favourite Disney movies I would love that.
    The only ones I don't really see being made into live versions by Disney are Pocahontas and the Hunchback of Notre Dame, because certain elements would get them into trouble before the movies are even made.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/05/13...empire-remake/
    Last edited by lowfyr; 09-08-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: adding a link

Mulan has a score of 77% on RT, but has an audience score of only 55%. At the Internet Movie Database, it gets a rating of 5.6, which is two points lower than the cartoon version. The viewers are clearly not liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Mulan has a score of 77% on RT, but has an audience score of only 55%. At the Internet Movie Database, it gets a rating of 5.6, which is two points lower than the cartoon version. The viewers are clearly not liking it.
    This is one of those times were RT scores might be effect by outside issues though. THere's the boycott on the movie and a lot of other political issues which ended up filtering into the narrative. Which is not to say I don't inherently feel those scores are necessarily not believable... but I also can't help but wonder if dozens of protesters wanting to boycott the movie aren't also trying to give it bad reviews. I guess we'll never know for sure.

I've seen some criticism that

spoilers:
    They take Mulan who was more vulnerable and relatable in the original animated version and make her more of a typical "chosen one" with special powers. Which also isn't faithful to the original legend.
    end of spoilers

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    This is one of those times were RT scores might be effect by outside issues though. THere's the boycott on the movie and a lot of other political issues which ended up filtering into the narrative. Which is not to say I don't inherently feel those scores are necessarily not believable... but I also can't help but wonder if dozens of protesters wanting to boycott the movie aren't also trying to give it bad reviews. I guess we'll never know for sure.
    It didn't help that the film's star publicly said she was in favor of China's crackdown of protests in Hong Kong.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think it's far more accurate to say that the subset of viewers who hang out online and actively critique movies are not liking it, which is different than saying the general public isn't liking it.

Extraordinary Member

I do think the backlash is going to be stronger with Mulan than it has been with previous live action Disney remakes. No matter how lazy, cynical, and uninspired the previous remakes have been, they still did exactly what Disney's advertising promised they would do and play on people's nostalgia. You knew exactly what you were going to get going in, an inferior version of a classic that reminds you of when you watched the real thing for the first time as a child. But Mulan was not marketed that way. It was always presented as something different from the animated version, something that would be riskier, more grounded and adult. If it failed to do that properly audiences aren't going to be quite as forgiving as they have been with crap like the 'live action' Lion King.

Well it worked. Expect more $30 films now.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/mulan-...ney-downloads/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well it worked. Expect more $30 films now.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/mulan-...ney-downloads/
    Did anyone think it was going to be otherwise?

Frankly though, I don't get the problem with charging more. I mean, where was the moaning when Trolls was released for VOD? Sure, it's not a Disney movie so obviously there was no expectation that it would be available there for free but by the same token the price to see it was in addition to what ever streaming options were currently available so it's not all that different. Disney released some of their films for free that were otherwise planned for wide release but that never meant that all their other planned films would be free.

30 bucks isn't really all that expensive a fee for seeing a new movie anyway, had it been released theatrically it would likely have cost most families more than 30 bucks to go see it...and again that would have been in addition to subscribing to Disney +

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Did anyone think it was going to be otherwise?

Frankly though, I don't get the problem with charging more. I mean, where was the moaning when Trolls was released for VOD? Sure, it's not a Disney movie so obviously there was no expectation that it would be available there for free but by the same token the price to see it was in addition to what ever streaming options were currently available so it's not all that different. Disney released some of their films for free that were otherwise planned for wide release but that never meant that all their other planned films would be free.

30 bucks isn't really all that expensive a fee for seeing a new movie anyway, had it been released theatrically it would likely have cost most families more than 30 bucks to go see it...and again that would have been in addition to subscribing to Disney +
    Trolls only cost $20 to stream VOD. IMO, $30 was just too high a price, especially since if you wait 3 months, you can get the 4k or Blu-Ray for less than $30, with special features.