Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

In my opinion the biggest problem this film has in terms of tone is getting a director and screenwriter that don't know how to do a wuxia film, to do a wuxia film.

Edit--posted this also on the box office thread so i deleted this post.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-12-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Tweet from @SabrinaSiddiqui: So has Disney said anything yet about one of its major movie releases being filmed near Muslim concentration camps and then crediting the authorities that operate them, or...?

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/...46885166403585
    Pretty much.

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    In my opinion the biggest problem this film has in terms of tone is getting a director and screenwriter that don't know how to do a wuxia film, to do a wuxia film.
    Nailed it.

Tweet from @SabrinaSiddiqui: So has Disney said anything yet about one of its major movie releases being filmed near Muslim concentration camps and then crediting the authorities that operate them, or...?

..... Want to say something but my mind when blank.
    In one hand I loved Mulan as a child but now my adult self is just blahhh. Wtf.

Turns out that is is a few seconds of background used in one scene. Was a mistake, probably by an AD or AP. The credit was probably also something that is almost automatic. The mistake was that a higher up didn't double check to make sure something like this didn't happen. They probably could have removed the background and the end credit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Turns out that is is a few seconds of background used in one scene. Was a mistake, probably by an AD or AP. The credit was probably also something that is almost automatic. The mistake was that a higher up didn't double check to make sure something like this didn't happen. They probably could have removed the background and the end credit.
    Was a mistake confirmed by whom? And is it ok if it was done by an AD or AP? but the higher ups are supposed to double check something that they weren't on site for? You're saying this is a management problem? Seriously? And it's okay that Disney hasn't said anything?
    Last edited by RockyHorror; 09-17-2020 at 04:18 PM.

No Disney screwed up and should take responsibility. I was putting it in context.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Get used to paying $30 for more "one time thing."

Looks like mulan "early access" did well!

https://www.cbr.com/mulan-estimates-...assive-payday/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-17-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Get used to paying $30 for more "one time thing."

Looks like mulan "early access" did well!

https://www.cbr.com/mulan-estimates-...assive-payday/
    261 million? I wanted to call bullshit but when they say that means that 29% of people who have Disney+ bought it... well it seems more plausible. Thats also 260m, and they get to keep all of it. Hmm maybe they knew what they were doing. Id pay it for Black Widow. Wish I hadn't for Mulan lol. Iono I'm still skeptical until I see something more concrete

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    This is the funny part. A lot of the changes were to cater to China because the original Mulan didn’t do well there and they wanted that market for the film. Then they pissed global audiences off with their actor and the catering. Now China is abandoning it so it was all for nought.
    maybe the themes of the movies did not resonate with the Chinese audiences. Maybe next time if Disney still wants to court the Chinese market they should actually hire Chinese writers and directors if they are going to write about other ppl's culture
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-18-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    261 million? I wanted to call bullshit but when they say that means that 29% of people who have Disney+ bought it... well it seems more plausible. Thats also 260m, and they get to keep all of it. Hmm maybe they knew what they were doing. Id pay it for Black Widow. Wish I hadn't for Mulan lol. Iono I'm still skeptical until I see something more concrete
    100% would pay it for Black Widow. Given that this was a test the waters type thing see what they can do with it.

Yeah, from the various reviews I've seen of it (including several Chinese reviewers), the film was pandered to a stereotypical view the West has of China (with the people in charge of the film all being decidedly not Chinese). Aside from that, many also found it boring. The Chinese reviewers weren't completely surprised Wu Xia was put in (the flying martial arts super powers), but most everything else was pretty bad.

Personally? Ever since the remake of Beauty and the Beast, I've avoided these remakes. Only checking in on reviews of them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    maybe the themes of the movies did not resonate with the Chinese audiences. Maybe next time if Disney still wants to court the Chinese market they should actually hire writers and directors if they are going to write about other ppl's culture
    It's funny that they added a whole "Sacrifice for Family" theme for the Chinese Audience. They changed Mu-Shu to a Phoenix instead of a Dragon etc. They made a whole bunch of changes to pander to the American Audience and Chinese audiences still hated it.