Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Looks like it will be a beautifully made film.

Not able to listen right now, but why?
    They want a "epic" "real" academy awards film and a joking dragon cramps their style!

Extraordinary Member

TBH Mushu was the weakest part of the original animated version for me. Why does no one else in all of China have a guardian ancestor spirit helping them survive the war?

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    TBH Mushu was the weakest part of the original animated version for me. Why does no one else in all of China have a guardian ancestor spirit helping them survive the war?
    Because their injured/ill father didn't ask the family guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Well, he wasn't technically supposed to be there and had been demoted to gong-ringer when doing it, so it does raise the question if the de facto guardian spirits would've actually been physically present. (Heck, there's a fan theory as to why Mushu couldn't wake up the Stone Dragon -- beyond "because then there wouldn't be a movie"; the Stone Dragon had already left with Mulan. Don't know if I believe it, but she was sitting under the statue when she decided to replace her father

Also, I would point out that Mush acts both as a character who Mulan can converse with regarding her little con job and acts as a foil for her, so I'm not sure he doesn't serve a point, unlike the cricket who could be written out and the story would be the same.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Plus mushu has a big role in the end fight.

Well, he wasn't technically supposed to be there and had been demoted to gong-ringer when doing it, so it does raise the question if the de facto guardian spirits would've actually been physically present. (Heck, there's a fan theory as to why Mushu couldn't wake up the Stone Dragon -- beyond "because then there wouldn't be a movie"; the Stone Dragon had already left with Mulan. Don't know if I believe it, but she was sitting under the statue when she decided to replace her father
    This is what a lot of Disney fans think. The great stone dragon was inside Mulan and that's why the statue broke. He was no longer there but was guiding Mulan from inside. There are videos and web pages about this so that's the big thing people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Plus mushu has a big role in the end fight.
    Yes, he required firepower...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    This is what a lot of Disney fans think. The great stone dragon was inside Mulan and that's why the statue broke. He was no longer there but was guiding Mulan from inside. There are videos and web pages about this so that's the big thing people think.
    Yeah, don't really believe it myself, but it is an interesting theory and the circumstantial evidence does work.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Then why call it Mushu if it doesn't really connect to the original character?
    I've done some research on the legend of Mulan. In some versions, her name isn't Hua Mulan but Mu Lan. In a play based on that version, she has a cousin in a more comedic role named Mu Shu. So, yeah, it's not like he hasn't been changed already.

Were the people upset about the lack of songs and a potential loss of Mushu also upset about the lack of songs and the diminished role of the mice in the 2015 Cinderella? Because it seems like a similar approach.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I've done some research on the legend of Mulan. In some versions, her name isn't Hua Mulan but Mu Lan. In a play based on that version, she has a cousin in a more comedic role named Mu Shu. So, yeah, it's not like he hasn't been changed already.
    Interesting. (Although I would think that for some of us, the original movie is what we default to, so deviations from that are more annoying then deviations from older version we've never seen; I mean, this isn't a retelling of the original legend, but of the Disney version.)

Were the people upset about the lack of songs and a potential loss of Mushu also upset about the lack of songs and the diminished role of the mice in the 2015 Cinderella? Because it seems like a similar approach.
    I personally found the Cinderella one to be one of the weakest in the lineup to date and the severe downplaying of the Disney aspects of the film was something that I found disappointing; kinda like I was saying before, I wasn't paying to watch just "Cinderella," but "Disney Cinderella. (Granted, original Cinderella wasn't exactly one of my favorited, but still...)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Interesting. (Although I would think that for some of us, the original movie is what we default to, so deviations from that are more annoying then deviations from older version we've never seen; I mean, this isn't a retelling of the original legend, but of the Disney version.)
    It's probably going to be a lot closer to a retelling of the legend than you'd think. They even changed her surname from Fa to the more generally accepted Hua, according to the descriptions we've got. And that's because they probably want to create a version that the Chinese viewers will actually like. Because the Chinese HATED the 1998 animated version. Hated it! I think they even pulled it from Chinese cinemas.

I personally found the Cinderella one to be one of the weakest in the lineup to date and the severe downplaying of the Disney aspects of the film was something that I found disappointing; kinda like I was saying before, I wasn't paying to watch just "Cinderella," but "Disney Cinderella. (Granted, original Cinderella wasn't exactly one of my favorited, but still...)
    Really? Cinderella was one of my favorites of them all. I liked the emphasizing of her kindness as a strength. I also loved the parts where they drew in elements from both the Grimm and Perrault versions of the story and the part where she gives her fairy godmother a drink when she's in disguise (that's an old, old folk tale motif. A test of the heroine's good-heartedness). This is one of only two Cinderella movies that I own on DVD. And there are a LOT of Cinderella movies.

But then, I'm not "Disney guy". I'm "fairy tale guy". What other people call "sidekicks" I call "magical helpers". That's one of the reasons I'm so interested in these movies. I want to see what Disney goes back to the books and tales for when they take a mulligan.

Ultimate Member

This looks like it might be closer to the original legend, or one version anyway. Which if Disney is going to do this live action remakes, then I think I prefer them to put a new spin on them, as opposed to just doing the same thing as the animated version and not as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Looks like it will be a beautifully made film.
    Indeed it does.

It reminds me of those epic kung-fu/sword fighting epics that China has been grinding out for decades. But this is completely OTT with an English speaking cast.

Just found out that Ip Man star, Donnie Yen will be in Mulan. The ass kicking is going to be volcanic for Mulan.

Ultimate Member

Donnie Yen AND Jet Li. I'm also so hoping for a surprise Ming-Na Wen appearance as well.

It's probably going to be a lot closer to a retelling of the legend than you'd think. They even changed her surname from Fa to the more generally accepted Hua, according to the descriptions we've got.
    Makes sense.

And that's because they probably want to create a version that the Chinese viewers will actually like. Because the Chinese HATED the 1998 animated version. Hated it! I think they even pulled it from Chinese cinemas.
    We'll see if it works or not when it comes.

Really? Cinderella was one of my favorites of them all.
    Fair enough.

I liked the emphasizing of her kindness as a strength. I also loved the parts where they drew in elements from both the Grimm and Perrault versions of the story and the part where she gives her fairy godmother a drink when she's in disguise (that's an old, old folk tale motif. A test of the heroine's good-heartedness).
    Didn't have a problem with that, personally.

This is one of only two Cinderella movies that I own on DVD. And there are a LOT of Cinderella movies.
    Know of one that came highly recommended, but I forget which one that was (not a Disney version -- although the second sequel is apparently quite good).

But then, I'm not "Disney guy". I'm "fairy tale guy". What other people call "sidekicks" I call "magical helpers". That's one of the reasons I'm so interested in these movies. I want to see what Disney goes back to the books and tales for when they take a mulligan.
    Fair enough. Think we may be wanting different things out of them.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

well... the absence of Mushu (the dragon) would be a selling point for me. so would be the presence of Gong Li, Donnie Yen, and Jet Li. it has a solid looking cast. if they didn't have any of the songs from the animated movie I'd be okay with that too... since I actually enjoy traditional Chinese music more than the usual Disney-Broadway fare.