Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    TBH Mushu was the weakest part of the original animated version for me. Why does no one else in all of China have a guardian ancestor spirit helping them survive the war?
    Eddie Murphy made that movie for me. I mean dont get me wrong the movie would be good without Mushu but Eddie Murphy bring all the legit laughs. Havent seen the movie in awhile but Mushu yelling Dishonor on her and her cow and then theres a scene where he tells cricket I wish you would I'll rip your leg off on throw It across the yard. Or something like that. Crack me up everytime Eddie mUrphy has one of the best sense of Comedic timing ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    well... the absence of Mushu (the dragon) would be a selling point for me. so would be the presence of Gong Li, Donnie Yen, and Jet Li. it has a solid looking cast. if they didn't have any of the songs from the animated movie I'd be okay with that too... since I actually enjoy traditional Chinese music more than the usual Disney-Broadway fare.
    Yes! I love traditional Chinese music and the aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Donnie Yen AND Jet Li. I'm also so hoping for a surprise Ming-Na Wen appearance as well.
    WHOA! Ip Man & Fong Si Yuk in the same movie & neither one is the main star. I've never been looking forward to a Disney movie as much as Mulan. Don't care 1 bit if the stupid dragon is in it.

well... the absence of Mushu (the dragon) would be a selling point for me. so would be the presence of Gong Li, Donnie Yen, and Jet Li.
    Fair enough. Mushu was my favorite character from the original, so I myself will miss him, but that's just me. Donnie Yen was a good casting choice, IMHO.

it has a solid looking cast. if they didn't have any of the songs from the animated movie I'd be okay with that too... since I actually enjoy traditional Chinese music more than the usual Disney-Broadway fare.
    Don't know if I'd need all the songs and having more Chinese-style music sounds good on paper, at least, but I would like some of them represented, at least echoed in the score or something. "Reflections," at the very least, should be used in some form.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Descriptions of the films mention the Huns. So, they may still be involved. And it doesn't matter if the main villain is a witch as long as the witch has an opposing army. I mean, it's not like they sent a whole army to just fight Shen Yu. Maybe this is the folklore buff in me, but who the villain is doesn't matter too much. Almost every retelling changes who the enemy is. A few times it's even been an insurrection from within China. Disney probably used the Huns because they loved the idea of the Great Wall which was supposed to keep out the Huns. The ballad barely even mentions the enemy army: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Trans...allad_of_Mulan
    to bad they probalbly won't mention that the great wall was hilariously ineffective at keeping the nomands at bay could the mouse at least change the name from to Xiongnu (altough some scolars think the Xiongnu were the ancestors of the huns) and Shen Yu(one of the most historic accurate depiction of a nomadic warlord) to Modun. or at least handwave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Eddie Murphy made that movie for me. I mean dont get me wrong the movie would be good without Mushu but Eddie Murphy bring all the legit laughs. Havent seen the movie in awhile but Mushu yelling Dishonor on her and her cow and then theres a scene where he tells cricket I wish you would I'll rip your leg off on throw It across the yard. Or something like that. Crack me up everytime Eddie mUrphy has one of the best sense of Comedic timing ever.
    so true my sister still uses shame on your cow as joke (and she saw the movie in cinema as a child.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough. Think we may be wanting different things out of them.
    Probably. I've kind of learned to embrace the minute details. But then, to a fairy tale fan almost every Hollywood movie that's in our wheelhouse is essentially a remake anyway. They keep making new versions of the same tales: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, etc. The usual ones. By the fifth Beauty and the Beast movie, you start looking for the littlest things to set them apart.

Mighty Member

Creative choices wise, I find it odd that they would move Mulan from Northern China to Southern China. She's living in a tho-lau which indicates she lives in the southern part of China. This actually makes no sense since the Mongolian nomad, I refuse to call them Huns, are from up north of China. I get conscription is present, but it's still a weird creative choice regardless since having Mulan live in Northern China give a bigger sense of urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Creative choices wise, I find it odd that they would move Mulan from Northern China to Southern China. She's living in a tho-lau which indicates she lives in the southern part of China. This actually makes no sense since the Mongolian nomad, I refuse to call them Huns, are from up north of China. I get conscription is present, but it's still a weird creative choice regardless since having Mulan live in Northern China give a bigger sense of urgency.
    Are the Huns in this? Thought I heard the bad guy was some random witch.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Are the Huns in this? Thought I heard the bad guy was some random witch.
    I thought the Gokturks were going to be the antagonists based on earlier reports.

are people speaking English or Mandarin in the movie?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    are people speaking English or Mandarin in the movie?
    ...They spoke English in the trailer so I'm assuming that's what they speak in the movie

I thought the Gokturks were going to be the antagonists based on earlier reports.
    That might be the army but from I've heard the main villian is a Witch

Edit: googled it and all I found was something about a witch forming an alliance with Boris Khan played by Jason Scott Lee(Rapa Nui made him famous in the polynesian culture....and Lilo and stitch lol) so who knows but that rumor would suggest Huns but if they are trying to be more accurate Gokturks would make more sense.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-14-2019 at 08:56 PM.

New Poster.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mushu.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    New Poster.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Not bad.

[QUOTE=Gaastra;4700390]Mushu.

Sorry, but I do not like it at all.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I can't wait to see Mete Khan, he's my favorite.