Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is honestly what made me appreciate BND Norman more.

While pettiness can be entertaining, it shouldn't be a character's sole defining feature.
    I think it can be, since being petty was Otto's whole thing (He basically wanted to nuke New York because of a pissing contest with Owl that one time), but Otto is a character who can use his brains in varied, smart ways (Master Planner being a popular example) and was still tough to fight, and while for a long time he was Spidey's biggest enemy, he didn't show up that much, so it didn't get old fast, but if a character is meant to be a bigger deal and show up more, then yeah, gotta have more than that to make them more varied, to have a point for them to show up so much, something modern Norman certainly doesn't lack, 'cause while I find him to be overrated, but he's certainly a flexible character.

Oh, Electro was also very petty, although he was more of a semi recurring villain, not really a major threat, so it also worked for him well enough.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-10-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Kingsley should be a Marvel Universe villain.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hobgoblin is vastly overrated.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    He's honestly not that well known.

Roderick Kingsley almost never appears in adaptations of Spider-Man as the Hobgoblin. Most of the time, it's just someone else filling the role.

When was the last time Kingsley did something, really? I remember back when he fought Phil Urich, his Axis stuff. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    When was the last time Kingsley did something, really? I remember back when he fought Phil Urich, his Axis stuff. That's about it.
    He harassed Jessica in her previous ongoing, also was part of some half assed Sinister Six in Miles' comic before Bendis left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He harassed Jessica in her previous ongoing, also was part of some half assed Sinister Six in Miles' comic before Bendis left.
    I still maintain that was the Macendale clone in Miles' arc. It doesn't make any sense that that was Kingsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still maintain that was the Macendale clone in Miles' arc. It doesn't make any sense that that was Kingsley.
    Yeah he was saying something about working there to "get his rep back", that sounds nothing like Kingsley, specially since not that long before he has an empire of selling C/D listers names lol.

But hey, classic Bendis and his terrible characterizations, guess if you want to headcanon and say it was a Macendale clone, well, other characters were calling him Kingsley, so he'd have to be impersonating him, at least.

Also, Macendale has a clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah he was saying something about working there to "get his rep back", that sounds nothing like Kingsley, specially since not that long before he has an empire of selling C/D listers names lol.

But hey, classic Bendis and his terrible characterizations, guess if you want to headcanon and say it was a Macendale clone, well, other characters were calling him Kingsley, so he'd have to be impersonating him, at least.

Also, Macendale has a clone?
    Clone Conspiracy?, maybe he survived that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Clone Conspiracy?, maybe he survived that.
    Oh right, that, somehow forgot about it lol.

Spectacular Member

I've always liked Hobgoblin as a villain. The real problem was the fact that they messed up his storyline so badly that it's incredibly confusing. You have like 5 or 6 suspects and then you discover the truth in a mini-series (Hobgoblin Lives, great one).

My first Spider-Man fandom began when Hobgoblin was the primary villain, and I thought he was awesome. He wa just right combination of silly and scary, seemed more intimidating than Green Goblin (who was always talked about but firmly dead at the time) and there was mystery about him, who is it really? Seems like someone Peter knows? They have planned this out so well!

Then came the Ned Leeds reveal and I was like WHAT? Then Macendale become Hobgoblin and he was just lame, then came the demonic Hobgoblin from Inferno and then I just totally lost interest altogether, don't know what's been up with him and don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Vastly. And fairly. In the comics world.

But still - I wouldn't mind seeing him show up as a live action villain in a Spider-Man movie. Lord knows the Green Goblin is very played out at this point, thanks to the ASM movies - they basically made the Green Goblin as confusing as Hobby is in the comics.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

But still - I wouldn't mind seeing him show up as a live action villain in a Spider-Man movie. Lord knows the Green Goblin is very played out at this point, thanks to the ASM movies - they basically made the Green Goblin as confusing as Hobby is in the comics.
    Question on that. Can Hobgoblin handle a movie by himself or do you need the Green Goblin as well? I may be confusing with the Spider-man animated series, but didn't Hobgoblin come about because Green Goblin was no longer around and someone stole his tech? And I know we have Hobgoblin / Green Goblin battles.

I'm asking cause I'm generally curious and not trying to troll or anything.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

It would be hilarious if the movies do what the cartoons did and have the Hobgoblin show up first .