Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Question on that. Can Hobgoblin handle a movie by himself or do you need the Green Goblin as well? I may be confusing with the Spider-man animated series, but didn't Hobgoblin come about because Green Goblin was no longer around and someone stole his tech? And I know we have Hobgoblin / Green Goblin battles.

I'm asking cause I'm generally curious and not trying to troll or anything.
    Yeah, Kingsley found Norman's stuff, stole it, and tried to become a better Goblin than him, 90's cartoon had Hobgoblin coming first.

And I mean, with proper execution, sure, Kingsley could hold a movie, problem is that there's the question, why use Hobgoblin when Green Goblin has a more personal connection with Peter and is the more well known one?

It's not like a Venom or Carnage situation, because while they're both symbiotes, they're different characters, so if you want the guy with a dumbass moral code where he thinks he's the good guy somehow, or at least sees himself as in the right, then you go for Venom, if you want an insane fucker who probably has an erection whenever he kills someone, then you go for Carnage.

Hobgoblin and Green Goblin just don't have such separations, the thing that separated them the most was Kingsley being the more pragmatic of the two, which now Norman has.

If a movie were to bother with Kingsley, then they'd have to do something like what was done with Vulture in Homecoming, just change his personality and be something else, or I dunno, flanderize his pragmatism to a new level since Hobgoblin wasn't that pragmatic to begin with, just more pragmatic than other villains.

Another thing I guess is having the angle of the mystery, even then that's not Hobgoblin exclusive, since Spectacular has it, but with Hobgoblin, considering that Kingsley used two people to take his place while he did something else, this could be done with him, and maybe not even make it be Kingsley to be the Hobgoblin, but maybe be the guy who basically controlled him or somethin'.

So basically, by default, Norman has more flexible stories to tell with his post resurrection characterization, leaving little room for Kingsley to be worth bothering, it's like making a movie that has a villain who hunts Spidey, and having to choose between Kraven and Morlum, since Kraven is the more well known one, and there's a bit more going on with his character when compared to Morlum's "I'm hungry", yeah, little reason to bother with Morlum, even then, at least Morlum is way stronger, while Kraven has to strategize more, so even this example isn't as bad as comparing Green Goblin with Hobgoblin lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would be hilarious if the movies do what the cartoons did and have the Hobgoblin show up first .
    "Hey, you're not the Hobgoblin!"

Just funny that 90's Spidey could have a sentence like that about Green Goblin, only continuity for it too lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-12-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    "Hey, you're not the Hobgoblin!"

Just funny that 90's Spidey could have a sentence like that about Green Goblin, only continuity for it too lol.
    Hobgoblin also showed up in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon first. Norman even wears the suit.

Funnily enough, despite using the Hobgoblin, they reference both iconic Green Goblin deaths in the show.

Well at least they didn't have Jack O'Lantern be first!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well at least they didn't have Jack O'Lantern be first!
    Now there's an idea for the next cartoon

"Hey, you're not the Jack O'Lantern!"

Mighty Member

It would be hilarious if the movies do what the cartoons did and have the Hobgoblin show up first .
    It seems that the only way for Hobgoblin to appear in adaptive media is to show up first... Heck the only time it was going to be done right was Spectacular (I'm still bitter about that show's cancellation by the way), and I'm really curious to see how their differences would have been played in the show had it continued. Sure the main thing is that the mystery has more players involved (as with Gobby it was always linked to the Osborn household), but I'm wondering how their mannerisms and approaches would have been different.

Venom and Carnage are different enough personality wise (and they probably use their powers different too...Venom also does Spider-Man things while I don't think I've ever seen Carnage web sling), that they both can appear and they can do it in the correct order...

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    It seems that the only way for Hobgoblin to appear in adaptive media is to show up first... Heck the only time it was going to be done right was Spectacular (I'm still bitter about that show's cancellation by the way), and I'm really curious to see how their differences would have been played in the show had it continued. Sure the main thing is that the mystery has more players involved (as with Gobby it was always linked to the Osborn household), but I'm wondering how their mannerisms and approaches would have been different.

Venom and Carnage are different enough personality wise (and they probably use their powers different too...Venom also does Spider-Man things while I don't think I've ever seen Carnage web sling), that they both can appear and they can do it in the correct order...
    I was wondering how they would handle his voice. It would've been tough to top Mark Hamill.

I guess they could've had Steve Blum do Hobby too, like he did in Shattered Dimensions. I don't know if they ever go into it but Kingsley probably used the same voice changer Osborn did.

Mighty Member

I was wondering how they would handle his voice. It would've been tough to top Mark Hamill.

I guess they could've had Steve Blum do Hobby too, like he did in Shattered Dimensions. I don't know if they ever go into it but Kingsley probably used the same voice changer Osborn did.
    ...You know what...they sure don't go into detail on the voice changer. Kingsley DEFINITELY uses one as Hobgoblin lives shows... We always assume that Norman is disguising his voice without technology, but it is said that Blum's Green Goblin is a voice changer in the mask. If they did use Blum again, I suppose the voice direction wouldn't be as manic?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Question on that. Can Hobgoblin handle a movie by himself or do you need the Green Goblin as well? I may be confusing with the Spider-man animated series, but didn't Hobgoblin come about because Green Goblin was no longer around and someone stole his tech? And I know we have Hobgoblin / Green Goblin battles.

I'm asking cause I'm generally curious and not trying to troll or anything.
    In the comics, Hobgoblin shows up after Norman dies and some goon tells Kingsley that he found one of his old lairs.

In the 90s cartoon, Norman is one of Kingpin's underlings and Fisk has him (and Smythe?) work on certain projects to kill Spider-Man one of which results in Hobgoblin. Norman becomes Green Goblin later when he tries to improve the Goblin formula in his lab and it blows up and the gaseous formula somehow turns the spare Hobgoblin outfits in his lab to the Green and purple colours.
    "Cable was right!"