Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Event Leviathan #2 Preview

Preview

The Detectives”! EVENT LEVIATHAN, the new miniseries by the award-winning team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev, continues! As the mystery of Leviathan continues to rock the very foundations of the DC Universe, the world’s greatest detectives gather for the first time anywhere to solve the mystery before it’s too late! Lois Lane leads Batman, Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Manhunter, the Question and a couple of genuine guest sleuths in the search for who Leviathan is and how their plans have already unfolded. This issue also guest-stars Red Hood, Batgirl and more!

Spectacular Member

at this point an time i just need to know who made the board?

Bendis needs more practise with these characters. They don't sound like themselves.

I'm finding it difficult to muster up enthusiasm for this event so much i even forgot it was a thing.
    Is this an important event that's going to have lasting consequences or is it inconsequential? Asking so I can decide whether to pick it up.

However it's good to see Jason take up a starring role in a DCU wide event again.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-08-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Is Jason still wearing a mask under his mask?

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    He's extra like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Bendis needs more practise with these characters. They don't sound like themselves.
    That's the way Bendis writes. One of the reasons I don't like his writing a lot is that he doesn't write distinctive voices that well so often. Another one, that he repeats information every few panels. Here he does twice, speaking about the circumstances with the agencies being under siege by Leviathan, and with Barbara's and Oliver's whereabouts.

I cannot blame him, writing takes time and he's writing like five books at the same time, right? But eh, still, it reads, I don't know, plain, I guess.

(But I wasn't going to read this even. But here I am, reading it. Or glancing throughout it. Geez)

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    He wears a domino mask, but also a mask in his mouth. They don't overlap, so... I guess it doesn't really count? (not that he wouldn't, for the dramatics)

Astonishing Member

I thought this was a Superman event. Did Bendis secretly want to write Batman and got turned down by the editors or something?

Who wants to bet that if Bendis wrote Dick he would write him exactly like he's writing Jason in this preview?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I thought this was a Superman event. Did Bendis secretly want to write Batman and got turned down by the editors or something?
    Maybe the idea is that it spun out of the Superman books but is now a DCU event, which necessitates plenty of Batman .

So, whose the guy pretending to be Jason? Because that sounds nothing like him. And considering what's been happening in his own series...

This is what irks me a lot about Bendis; he may be able to write one character well, but the others sound nothing like themselves, let alone act like themselves.

Well Leviathan is considered a batvillain group same way Court of Owls and LOA are. But my understanding is that it takes place primarily in Metropolis. So I’d say it’s equally a Bat and Super affair.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, whose the guy pretending to be Jason? Because that sounds nothing like him. And considering what's been happening in his own series...

This is what irks me a lot about Bendis; he may be able to write one character well, but the others sound nothing like themselves, let alone act like themselves.
    It's his twin brother Rason Rodd.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Huh? I know it’s sort of boilerplate Bendis criticism to say he doesn’t do a lot to differentiate voice, but Jason’s default speech pattern is pretty much Bendis-speak anyway, so even if all Bendis can ever manage is ‘snarky smart boy who quips to hide his pain’ Jason still gets to be that stopped clock that’s right twice a day.

What piece of dialogue do you find particularly galling?

I would bet a large sum of money Bendis is the Bat-writer after Batman hits #100 and rolls over into a relaunched #1. He then takes over 'Tec as well, or they launch a third ongoing for Bendis to play with and 'Tec becomes... something else.

It's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Huh? I know it’s sort of boilerplate Bendis criticism to say he doesn’t do a lot to differentiate voice, but Jason’s default speech pattern is pretty much Bendis-speak anyway, so even if all Bendis can ever manage is ‘snarky smart boy who quips to hide his pain’ Jason still gets to be that stopped clock that’s right twice a day.

What piece of dialogue do you find particularly galling?
    His entire dynamic with Bruce sounds off here. He honestly sounds more like Dick then Jason.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    His entire dynamic with Bruce sounds off here. He honestly sounds more like Dick then Jason.
    It’s a two page, mainly factual exchange of information wherein he still gets in two ‘I am suspicious of your motives’ jabs. Jason’s supposed to be a professional detective and that’s attributed to him here, is all. He will never evolve as a character if every time he appears on the page with Batman he has to yell, ‘go eat a crowbar and die, old man.’ Within 30 seconds. He has to be able to do more.