Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Age Sandman (Wesley Dodds) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "Golden Age Sandman Appreciation Thread", which can be read here:

From the original version of this thread (started in September of 2015):
    Figured there should be an "appreciation thread" for Wes Dodds.

Whether you were introduced to him as the Golden Age character The Sandman through reprints of old stories or his appearances back in those annual JLA / JSA team-ups

or if you first read about him in the Vertigo series Sandman Mystery Theatre

this is the thread to discuss a classic character DC needs to bring back!

The Golden Age Sandman never had an "origin story" back during the Golden Age, so in Secret Origins #7 (October 1986), Roy Thomas wrote one for Wes Dodds.

And, yes, the Lee Travis in those pages was the same guy who had taken the identity of The Crimson Avenger.

An appearance in The Spectre #55 (July 1997):

My favorite JSAer. He looks so damn cool in that suit. I hope he returns after Doomsday Clock with all the other golden age members.

One of my fave JSAers also, alongside Dr. Fate, Dr. Mid-Nite and original costume Atom.

I really need to get back and re-read (and finish) Sandman Mystery Theatre. One of the best titles DC ever put out.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    One of my fave JSAers also, alongside Dr. Fate, Dr. Mid-Nite and original costume Atom.

I really need to get back and re-read (and finish) Sandman Mystery Theatre. One of the best titles DC ever put out.
    I was/am a big fan of Wesley too, particularly in SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE (which I picked up after exposure to Wes in JSA) but has any more of that series been collected in trade? I have one trade but I can't remember if they've done more.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I was/am a big fan of Wesley too, particularly in SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE (which I picked up after exposure to Wes in JSA) but has any more of that series been collected in trade? I have one trade but I can't remember if they've done more.
    The most recent effort (in 2016) from DC produced two volumes, collecting issues #1-24 and the Annual. A third volume (collecting material from isses #25-36) was solicited for June 2017, and is even still listed on the dccomics.com website at last check, but as far as I'm aware it was never published.

Prior to that, there were eight volumes published in 2003-2010 and those collected up to issue #52.

from Sandman Mystery Theatre #1 (April 1993):

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Hardcover reprints of the Simon and Kirby SANDMAN stories.

SandmanSimonKirby.jpg

BANNED

WooHoo !!! an appreciation thread for my boy Wesley. I really like this character, Sandman Mystery Theather was amazing. He's so cool. Who would guess a hat, a treanch coat, a suit and an old school gas mask combination would be so cool.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cover to Adventure Comics #51.

AdventureComics51.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    from Sandman Mystery Theatre #1 (April 1993):

His gas gun looks cool here. Big with a gas line connection. Much more realistic than when he has just a little one.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of my favorite DC books of all time, with one of my favorite aesthetics! I hope it gets adapted into a DC Universe series or something, which of course it almost certainly won't, Wes being a character with far too low of a profile, tragically.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

One of my favorite characters, and SMT is one of my favorite series of all time - hopefully we get it collected, someday...

"Sandman Mystery Theater" was one of the most unique, visionary works to have ever come from DC. And for such a long run, too. It's up there with Robinson/Harris's "Starman" to me, but doesn't get the lauds it should. Between this and the Pieter Cross "Dr Mid-Nite," Matt Wagner should have done a lot more work for DC. ("Trinity" was okay, but doesn't compare)