Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How important is Rick Jones....

My friend and I were having a debate the other day as to the importance of Rick Jones. He says that Rick Jones is no more then a hanger on and lame side kick to heroes like The Hulk and Captain America. That he was not important to the Marvel Universe as a whole. Said he was no better then Snapper Carr.

I dont feel this way. First off I hate Snapper Carr. Second Rick is very important to the Marvel Universe. He is the reason the The Hulk was created in the first place. He then formed the Teen Brigade that helped Hulk in Many adventures. I will say his time with Captain America isnt really all that important as he didnt do much other then try to become a second rate Bucky. But his time with Captain Marvel was essential. He also stopped the Skrull Kree War.

So where does Rick Jones rank in your overall view of importance in the Marvel Universe?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Rick was a key character up to Avengers Forever, after which it becomes really embarrassing how far they go to keep him relevant. He wasn't even essential to Spencer's Cap, the Whisperer could've been several other characters and it was Mark Waid who recommended Rick for it. Since he has no media relevance at all and no specific purpose in the books, I hope Ewing just lets him die again and stay that way. He used to be very important to the Avengers and died in a good Avengers story after saying the thing. That should've been it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Boisterously Confused

I think your friend didn't think this all the way through.

Snapper Carr didn't:
    • Become a major character's sidekick (let alone three character's)
    • Lead a sidekick brigade
    • Mature enough to lead a hunt against his mentor
    • Have a singing career
    • Co-exist with a superhero
    • Stop an intergalactic war with his imagination

So, no. Not a reāsonable comparison.

Rick was is very important to the Marvel Universe becoming what it is. Without his involvement the Avengers may have never fully formed. He was also interlace in quiet a few key marvel characters lives/stories. Remove him and quiet a few things in marvels time 616 timeline would fall a part.

However, if you are talking about currently? Not very important. Even though he sorta should be.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

Rick is much more important than Snapper, but his importance is almost a joke: he keeps being nearby when things happen, but he doesn't do anything, because he's not a superhero. His status as the audience surrogate has been played with in a meta way all the way back to the Kree-Skrull War, where he saved the day by the power of being an average human who has read too many comic books.

Peter David used him successfully because David is a very meta writer. In other types of stories it can be harder to use him without turning him into a superhero or a Hulk or something.

Rick Jones is more important than willie lumpkin and Millie the model combined!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    Rick Jones is more important than willie lumpkin and Millie the model combined!!!!
    Willie was played by Stan, so that kinda automatically makes him more important than most supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Rick was a key character up to Avengers Forever, after which it becomes really embarrassing how far they go to keep him relevant. He wasn't even essential to Spencer's Cap, the Whisperer could've been several other characters and it was Mark Waid who recommended Rick for it. Since he has no media relevance at all and no specific purpose in the books, I hope Ewing just lets him die again and stay that way. He used to be very important to the Avengers and died in a good Avengers story after saying the thing. That should've been it.
    I didn't even really like Rick as the Whisperer. It just didn't really feel like him.

I hope he doesn't stay dead, if only because I prefer to have him around .

Whisperer was a modern version of the Teen Brigade stuff that made him the Man in the Chair but with less whining like the Nega-Band stuff. The book wouldn't have really bled without him, though.

After his recent disgusting experience over in Immortal Hulk, Rick might need a little therapy.

It's interesting to look at Rick, Betty and Tbolt Ross on the cover of Hulk #1 from back in the day and see where they all are now in this current Hulk run.

Yeesh.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    My friend and I were having a debate the other day as to the importance of Rick Jones. He says that Rick Jones is no more then a hanger on and lame side kick to heroes like The Hulk and Captain America. That he was not important to the Marvel Universe as a whole. Said he was no better then Snapper Carr.

I dont feel this way. First off I hate Snapper Carr. Second Rick is very important to the Marvel Universe. He is the reason the The Hulk was created in the first place. He then formed the Teen Brigade that helped Hulk in Many adventures. I will say his time with Captain America isnt really all that important as he didnt do much other then try to become a second rate Bucky. But his time with Captain Marvel was essential. He also stopped the Skrull Kree War.

So where does Rick Jones rank in your overall view of importance in the Marvel Universe?
    Whatever happened to Snapper Carr. He was at the JLA inaugural launching, but did he have legs and make into the modern age?

Myself, I think Snapper Carr was more important, because he was the trend setter, and Rick Jones was a copy of him when Rick transferred from Hulk to the Avengers. It was obviously Marvel copying DC putting some kid in with their premier super hero team.

But, like anything Marvel that copied the DC trend, Marvel did it better. I never heard from Snapper Carr again, but Rick Jones acted like an Avenger. That may be exaggerating Ricks achievements, but by the end, Rick was one of those ordinary humans who got to experience being a Superman, (albeit similar to Shazam).
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Whatever happened to Snapper Carr. He was at the JLA inaugural launching, but did he have legs and make into the modern age?

Myself, I think Snapper Carr was more important, because he was the trend setter, and Rick Jones was a copy of him when Rick transferred from Hulk to the Avengers. It was obviously Marvel copying DC putting some kid in with their premier super hero team.

But, like anything Marvel that copied the DC trend, Marvel did it better. I never heard from Snapper Carr again, but Rick Jones acted like an Avenger. That may be exaggerating Ricks achievements, but by the end, Rick was one of those ordinary humans who got to experience being a Superman, (albeit similar to Shazam).
    He turns up from time to time, but not really in his original role (i.e. he was a teacher at Happy Harbor High in S1 of Young Justice, he was a reporter in the Timm-verse toons). As far as I can tell, he's almost more of an Easter Egg these days than a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Whisperer was a modern version of the Teen Brigade stuff that made him the Man in the Chair but with less whining like the Nega-Band stuff. The book wouldn't have really bled without him, though.
    He felt more like a discount hacker archetype to be honest.

It does make sense though. Of course he'd be using computers instead of ham radios nowadays.

And yeah, Rick is crucial to the origins of the Hulk and the Avengers, but has lacked relevancy recently.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And yeah, Rick is crucial to the origins of the Hulk and the Avengers, but has lacked relevancy recently.
    Maybe he lost relevancy due to becoming too old for the side-kick role and the Marvel universe being invaded by a bunch of kid/teen heroes.