Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Maybe he lost relevancy due to becoming too old for the side-kick role and the Marvel universe being invaded by a bunch of kid/teen heroes.
    Rick was (IIRC) a Kirby creation. Kirby had a long history of working teen boys into his casts, I suppose he bought Finger and Kane's theory that it gave the intended audience of the time a POV character to identify with.

Lee, on the other hand, claimed to have hated the kid sidekick idea. Once Kirby was gone, there was really no future for Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Maybe he lost relevancy due to becoming too old for the side-kick role and the Marvel universe being invaded by a bunch of kid/teen heroes.
    Someone hasn't been keeping up with the Immortal Hulk.

I guess that's the thing. Rick got his start in Incredible Hulk #1 and if nothing else he'll always pop up there again sooner or later.

He's too bound up in Hulk Lore to ever disappear.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wish Marvel characters had more by way of supporting casts! I'd like to see more everyday people in Marvel stories, since that was a lot of the appeal their books had in the first place.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wish Marvel characters had more by way of supporting casts! I'd like to see more everyday people in Marvel stories, since that was a lot of the appeal their books had in the first place.
    We agree. I've not been a fan of this shrinking of the MU (and the DCU for that matter) into places where the superheroes live in bubbles consisting only of themselves and people just like them.

He has had his moments. While he is a counter to Snapper Carr in a lot of ways there are a number of differences. Rick has been a Side kick to Hulk Cap and Rom. He was been around the avengers in a number of adventures and had his most recent career as a techie/hacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Poor jarvis could use a little help at the very least

Jarvis is critical.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Unlike most sidekicks Rick provided an important narrative role in the early issues of the Hulk. Someone had to know Bruce Banner's secret and someone had to be the go between, the guy in to giant interact with both personalities.

Enter Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Jarvis is critical.
    Jarvis is the man, how he gets done day in and out is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Unlike most sidekicks Rick provided an important narrative role in the early issues of the Hulk. Someone had to know Bruce Banner's secret and someone had to be the go between, the guy in to giant interact with both personalities.

Enter Rick.
    Yeah, same was true for the 90's Hulk cartoon.

I always viewed Rick as being pretty essential to the Marvel Universe as kind of representing the average person (who just so happened to reflect the majority of the readers at the time) who saw gods and monsters being created around them. There's a "Life Story of Rick Jones" book that hasn't been made yet that could be done like MARVELS, only with Rick actually up close and in the mix vs. watching from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    He turns up from time to time, but not really in his original role (i.e. he was a teacher at Happy Harbor High in S1 of Young Justice, he was a reporter in the Timm-verse toons). As far as I can tell, he's almost more of an Easter Egg these days than a character.
    Thanks for the update.

Rick Jones : Marvel Comics :: Sam Fury : MCU

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Whatever happened to Snapper Carr. He was at the JLA inaugural launching, but did he have legs and make into the modern age?

Myself, I think Snapper Carr was more important, because he was the trend setter, and Rick Jones was a copy of him when Rick transferred from Hulk to the Avengers. It was obviously Marvel copying DC putting some kid in with their premier super hero team.

But, like anything Marvel that copied the DC trend, Marvel did it better. I never heard from Snapper Carr again, but Rick Jones acted like an Avenger. That may be exaggerating Ricks achievements, but by the end, Rick was one of those ordinary humans who got to experience being a Superman, (albeit similar to Shazam).
    Tom Peyer wrote a great Hourman series that very much tried to copy the (short lived...) success of the Rick Jones/Captain Marvel series with Snapper as the slacker superhero mentor.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!