Default The Nemean lion vs Achilles

The Nemean lion vs Achilles

As long as he keeps his heel from being bit by the Nemean Lion's jaws, Achilles can win by sticking himself down its throat and causing it to asphyxiate.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    As long as he keeps his heel from being bit by the Nemean Lion's jaws, Achilles can win by sticking himself down its throat and causing it to asphyxiate.
    LOL. Presumably this is original source Achilles who was not invulnerable. But since he threw horses across battlefields, he could probably strangle the lion without ever breaking it's skin.
    Power with Girl is better.

Did the Nemean Lion have other stats besides toughness? I can't remember.

It probably depends on how Achilles compares to Hercules. Is Achilles strong enough to strangle the lion? Is Achilles durability/invulnerability greater than Hercules because I think the lion bit off a part of Hercules.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    It probably depends on how Achilles compares to Hercules. Is Achilles strong enough to strangle the lion? Is Achilles durability/invulnerability greater than Hercules because I think the lion bit off a part of Hercules.
    Myth Achilles durability is well beyond Hercules: Achilles was literally invulnerable to anything except his heal, and that wasn't common knowledge.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Myth Achilles durability is well beyond Hercules: Achilles was literally invulnerable to anything except his heal, and that wasn't common knowledge.
    Except he wasn't. The Iliad has no such thing. That was something the Romans added to the myth and maybe some movies. Nothing whatsoever about him being invulnerable in Homer's original source material.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Except he wasn't. The Iliad has no such thing. That was something the Romans added to the myth and maybe some movies. Nothing whatsoever about him being invulnerable in Homer's original source material.
    We differentiate between "Myth" Achilles and "Homer" Achilles generally.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    We differentiate between "Myth" Achilles and "Homer" Achilles generally.
    Personally, I think he wins either way. Being invulnerable guarantees it but he is easily strong enough to strangle the Nemean lion either way. Dude threw horses across battle fields. Maybe still not Heracles level but strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Personally, I think he wins either way. Being invulnerable guarantees it but he is easily strong enough to strangle the Nemean lion either way. Dude threw horses across battle fields. Maybe still not Heracles level but strong enough.
    If he didn't say "I say thee neigh !" when he threw the horses, he's actually garbage.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Didn't Heracles have to trap it so that he could keep it in close quarters? It seems like the lion is semi-cognizant of its vulnerability and might be at least somewhat capable of avoiding just getting caught in a wrestling match. Since its claws are capable of piercing its own hide, which Heracles couldn't do even after it was dead, getting hit by them is probably really really bad news. Heracles stunned it with his club, so blunt force can still do THAT much, but otherwise, I might favour the lion here just 'cause I don't know that I think close quarters with those claws is going to work out so well for Achilles. Given that, invincibility on Achilles' part probably is completely irrelevant here, unless he's got feats better than a determined Heracles being unable to pierce his flesh.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 07-13-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

According to historical documents and official sources...

Jump to 26:15
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.