Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Has ANYONE CALLED OUT DC Comics for their actions with Fan favorite characters

Given what happened to Wally West it makes me wonder if anyone called out DC Comics for their actions in PUBLIC, via Comic cons or something like that ?

I mean Forums and Twitter is one thing, but a PUBLIC SHAMING is another. Right ?

As fans of DC comics: What do you think of this ?

"Fans" have been buying into grim, shock and awe, character-assassination events since the 90's (physical/mental/literal) and telling DC it's what they want.
    It's never "a problem" until it's their favorite character's turn. Then they cry ...
    It's what stores still buy multiples of, so it's what they've built their brand on since.
    While it's still what sells to this gen. of readers, and they continue to buy it, they will continue to do it.
    As to public shaming?
    You'll get your well deserved smug; It's what you asked for, and stock answer; ...at least everyone is talking about the character.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-09-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Isn't it more like a vicious cycle where fans have been "lulled" into ?

At one point, big hero-shattering events were seen as the most important because what happened there impacted so much, so people bought more of those. Then, DC saw it and kept pushing such events, and fans kept buying mostly those because of how "impactful" they were ? And the cycle kept going, until it was empties of any sense or substance ?

Public Shaming? Aside from petitions, giving ones opinion and voting with your wallet i don't think there's much more fans can do. I recall some incident involving waffles, Steph brown fans and creators. That I think was over the line. No one deserves to have baked goods chucked at them for doing their job just as no one deserves to death threats. DC doesn't owe anyone a comic.

"Fans" have been buying into grim, shock and awe, character-assassination events since the 90's (physical/mental/literal) and telling DC it's what they want.
    It's never "a problem" until it's their favorite character's turn. Then they cry ...
    'Tis true. And they don't even deserve the quotation marks, IMO. They are actual fans - they just aren't fans of every character. And like you said, many are fine with it when someone else's character gets character-assassinated (or actually assassinated) for a big, dramatic story. Many (not all) will think those are great stories - until one of their characters gets the wrong end of the stick.

Then, of course, there are the number that buy those issues simply for gorgeous art (big event issues often have good art) or to find out what's happening or because they heard so much about it (and people, including myself, are more likely to talk about what we don't like than what we do). Either way, it's $$$ in DC's pocket.

I'd love fewer events all in all, but DC isn't going to do that as long as they are the ones that sell best. I'd also like fewer deaths and resurrections and fewer comics that crossover so you have to buy several titles for the full story. Don't think any of those are going to happen, though.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-09-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

It's what stores still buy multiples of, so it's what they've built their brand on since.
    While it's still what sells to this gen. of readers, and they continue to buy it, they will continue to do it.
    As to public shaming?
    You'll get your well deserved smug; It's what you asked for, and stock answer; ...at least everyone is talking about the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Isn't it more like a vicious cycle where fans have been "lulled" into ?

At one point, big hero-shattering events were seen as the most important because what happened there impacted so much, so people bought more of those. Then, DC saw it and kept pushing such events, and fans kept buying mostly those because of how "impactful" they were ? And the cycle kept going, until it was empties of any sense or substance ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    'Tis true. And they don't even deserve the quotation marks, IMO. They are actual fans - they just aren't fans of every character. And like you said, many are fine with it when someone else's character gets character-assassinated (or actually assassinated) for a big, dramatic story. Many (not all) will think those are great stories - until one of their characters gets the wrong end of the stick.

Then, of course, there are the number that buy those issues simply for gorgeous art (big event issues often have good art) or to find out what's happening or because they heard so much about it (and people, including myself, are more likely to talk about what we don't like than what we do). Either way, it's $$$ in DC's pocket.

I'd love fewer events all in all, but DC isn't going to do that as long as they are the ones that sell best. I'd also like fewer deaths and resurrections and fewer comics that crossover so you have to buy several titles for the full story. Don't think any of those are going to happen, though.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.

Any way you look at this, we have done this to ourselves.

If we didn't buy those comics, DC wouldn't publish those comics.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Public Shaming? Aside from petitions, giving ones opinion and voting with your wallet i don't think there's much more fans can do. I recall some incident involving waffles, Steph brown fans and creators. That I think was over the line. No one deserves to have baked goods chucked at them for doing their job just as no one deserves to death threats. DC doesn't owe anyone a comic.
    Agreed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait someone tell me about the waffle incident. I never heard about that one.

The only Steph fan protest I know was at the beginning of New 52 when she asked why there are no women creators aside from Gail Simone.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is why I only buy out of continuity and pre-Crisis stuff. If you want DC to change, you have to only financially support the things that give you what you want. Otherwise you're sending the message to DC that you approve of their behavior.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Really, the best outlet for anyone's anger over a comic book story is to express that in places like this forum. The most extreme response should be a vlog post. But calling out people, public shaming? For a story? If you find yourself doing that, it's time to have a long hard look in the mirror. That's when you've lost sense of your priorities.

Calling out people over damage to the planet, the killing of endangered species, violating civil rights--that's a legitimate justification for extreme action. But don't get yourselves in trouble with the law just because you don't like how fictional characters are treated.

Really, the best outlet for anyone's anger over a comic book story is to express that in places like this forum.
    I disagree. I do think it's appropriate to express it to the publishers - yes, they should monitor forums and such, but I think communicating with the person/entity that has upset you is appropriate.

Calling out people over damage to the planet, the killing of endangered species, violating civil rights--that's a legitimate justification for extreme action. But don't get yourselves in trouble with the law just because you don't like how fictional characters are treated.
    I was thinking of "calling out" as public statements (especially at conventions or in professionally published works/media) that express displease (and hopefully give reason/analysis for that displeasure), not anything that could get one in trouble with the law.

Certainly physical threats are never appropriate. Threats of never buying again are.

Aside from fans, Tony Isabella has always griped about how Black Lightning is treated...
    Alan Moore has criticized DC a lot.
    Not sure if that's what you're asking about, but that's what came to mind.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've "called out" DC things in the past but it's always been via letters/emails to them sometimes accompanied with me dropping my DC pull or a particular book. The first time I did so was in regard to that 1-900 stunt they pulled with Jason Todd and his death. I thought it was in very poor taste at the time so I sent them a politely worded letter and then dropped my entire DC pull at the time. Another time was regarding the cancellation of Tom King's Omega Men. That time I sent an email and again dropped my pull.

As for "public shaming" and sending writers death threats over decisions you personally don't like, that's taking thing way to far and should never be something a fan does. Fans shouldn't condone that kind of behavior in other fans either because at the end of the day its harassment. In fact fans that send death threats need to be dealt with severely with jail time in my opinion.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Well me personally I'm down to just Collecting Justice League and that's it.not a fan of what's going in Wonder Woman.Titans were just fine til they brought in the Ms Martain.Steel.Raven n Beast Boy then I stopped at that point.and Aquaman went down hill when Johns left as well.so it's not just DC.Marvel too need's to get their act together.hopefully when they bring the X Men back it'll be worth the wait.but i'm not instrested in this new LSH they have coming out.the redesigns themselves have made me loose instrest.hopeffuly the JSA will have a better affect on some of us.DC Needs something to happen ASAP or $4.00 a month is all they gone be getting from me.

I remember that Jim Lee sure got a hell lot of **** for his awkward new 52 designs.

Not sure how far it exactly has gone for poor Jimbo but boy, did that red trunk cause tears or what?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is why I only buy out of continuity and pre-Crisis stuff. If you want DC to change, you have to only financially support the things that give you what you want. Otherwise you're sending the message to DC that you approve of their behavior.
    That's what I said...and I did.

I am down to a ridiculously small number of title...and it's getting smaller once the mini/maxi series ends.