Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My pull list is already tiny. Especially DC related.
    I am interested in LoSH and will give it a chance and I'm there when DC pulls it's head out of it's arse and gives us the JSA again too.
    But for now, it's just Flash Green Lantern and Aquaman.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    That's what I said...and I did.

I am down to a ridiculously small number of title...and it's getting smaller once the mini/maxi series ends.
    I’m down to one DC title myself. Nothing else that’s been solicited interests me. Not at all interested in what Snyder’s doing. Couldn’t care less about The Batman Who Laughs or YOTV.

I will post the same post I posted in the same thread from the Marvel Forum than was posted by the same member of this Forum (with an small edit to fit the thread):

DC can do with the characters whatever they want. If they want, they could turn Batman gay and marrying him with Joker, because depiste being created by Kane and Fingee, they have the property of the characters to do it. They are the legitime owners of the characters. They can do it. Simple.
    As a reader, as a consumer, as a fan you have several options:

If you like the change, you can keep buying ad reading comics and share your hobbie wth other persons who think alike,sending a signal to the publisher than tells them they are right.
    If you don't like the change, well, you can drop the book, hoping to return later when thing go back to previous status quo; you can continued buying the book depiste don't like the changes because you simple can't stop buying decause you simply do it from habit and express you disconformity talking with others or for internet,but don't expect things return soon to a previous status; You can give up comics or just superhero comics and developt other hobbies; You can read other characters you enjoy more. Or re-read the old comics you enjoyed in your time. Maybe DC is doing the right thing with the changes and you dislike them because they are not your characters (they never were yours, either) or simply they are driving the bussiness down. Not your problem. Your comics will not dissapear. And there are many options in life.

True, you can express your disconformity with the authors in DC, but you must keep in mind:

1. You must keep your manners. In the age of internet basic cortesy has been lost. And cortesy it is relevant, specially if you act irrationally, either in internet or ptp. Screaming louder don't distort the universe to fit your perceptions.
    2. The author are neither the owners of the characters, they give a proposal (or asked by) approved editors, (many times a book can be either helped or killed by a good or bad editor) so you should think than if it had not been him, it would have been another.
    3. Everything goes back, cyclically. Eventually everything goes back, because you must change thing to keep them the same. Mostly.

So no, nobody should "call out" Marvel. They can do whatever they want. You can express you dislike about what Marvel does, politely. If you do that, then nobody either could call you to shut up and don't express your feelings about that. But keep in mind, always, politely.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I actually wanted Black Manta to die at one point, but I won't say the exact point because I am going to get mad if I do so.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

I let my wallet do the talking. I am pulling one title and will not be pulling another title until September when the JSA will make an appearance. No sense in sending anything they will not listen.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait someone tell me about the waffle incident. I never heard about that one.

The only Steph fan protest I know was at the beginning of New 52 when she asked why there are no women creators aside from Gail Simone.
    Here's a link and upon refreshing my memory they sent them waffles in the mail. They didn't chuck waffles at anyone. My mistake.

https://www.cbr.com/stephanie-brown-...mail-campaign/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I will post the same post I posted in the same thread from the Marvel Forum than was posted by the same member of this Forum (with an small edit to fit the thread):

DC can do with the characters whatever they want. If they want, they could turn Batman gay and marrying him with Joker, because depiste being created by Kane and Fingee, they have the property of the characters to do it. They are the legitime owners of the characters. They can do it. Simple.
    As a reader, as a consumer, as a fan you have several options:

If you like the change, you can keep buying ad reading comics and share your hobbie wth other persons who think alike,sending a signal to the publisher than tells them they are right.
    If you don't like the change, well, you can drop the book, hoping to return later when thing go back to previous status quo; you can continued buying the book depiste don't like the changes because you simple can't stop buying decause you simply do it from habit and express you disconformity talking with others or for internet,but don't expect things return soon to a previous status; You can give up comics or just superhero comics and developt other hobbies; You can read other characters you enjoy more. Or re-read the old comics you enjoyed in your time. Maybe DC is doing the right thing with the changes and you dislike them because they are not your characters (they never were yours, either) or simply they are driving the bussiness down. Not your problem. Your comics will not dissapear. And there are many options in life.

True, you can express your disconformity with the authors in DC, but you must keep in mind:

1. You must keep your manners. In the age of internet basic cortesy has been lost. And cortesy it is relevant, specially if you act irrationally, either in internet or ptp. Screaming louder don't distort the universe to fit your perceptions.
    2. The author are neither the owners of the characters, they give a proposal (or asked by) approved editors, (many times a book can be either helped or killed by a good or bad editor) so you should think than if it had not been him, it would have been another.
    3. Everything goes back, cyclically. Eventually everything goes back, because you must change thing to keep them the same. Mostly.

So no, nobody should "call out" Marvel. They can do whatever they want. You can express you dislike about what Marvel does, politely. If you do that, then nobody either could call you to shut up and don't express your feelings about that. But keep in mind, always, politely.
    I second every word.

Fan entitlement is used as an excuse for poor behaviour, abuse and just overall negativity about the product. Even the title of this thread implies a level of character ownership that fans expect, nay demand! And this isn't even anything new, it's just more prevalent with message boards and social media.

I'm not saying every change, every story should be applauded as the greatest thing since Shakespeare. There will be some you like, some you don't.

All DC are trying to do is tell new(ish), compelling stories with familiar characters. And they are trying to do this with WB breathing down their necks, cherry picking characters for the comics to push and promote due to ventures in other media. They do this while trying to appease the 30+ year old man who refuses to accept change and firmly believes in one consistent narrative/continuity and while also appealing to the 10 year old buying her first comic book. All the while battling diminishing sales of the traditional weekly comic book, balancing digital and collected releases and trying to road map the next 3-5 years.

DC doesn't need to be called out for a well written, beautifully illustrated, best selling story just because a few fans don't like what it did to their favourite character.

This is not meant as an endorsement of Heroes in Crisis, but a warning about taking entitled fandom too far. It's fun to bitch and kvetch and moan about things you don't like (we all do it), just don't take it too far and don't let it poison you against your hobby.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It is a shame to see so many fans disillusioned with DC, and down to just a few comics a month. I've been there myself (around 2008 to the New 52 in 2011), it's pretty heartbreaking. Spider-man, my main Marvel book, was also bad during this time, so I was almost comic free.

Luckily, collections of older comics are becoming more prevalent and if you're into digital comics, there are decades worth of books to read. And I don't mean, like, what DC has released over decades, I mean material it would take you decades to even read!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

All that public shaming is not going to do anything if people keep buying the books.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Fan entitlement is used as an excuse for poor behaviour, abuse and just overall negativity about the product. Even the title of this thread implies a level of character ownership that fans expect, nay demand! And this isn't even anything new, it's just more prevalent with message boards and social media.
    It's rather more complex than that.

One factor is that DC is a business that can and should be called out for shitty business practices, just like any other business. Gail Simone did nothing wrong with calling out DC and Marvel for the practice of fridging, and Batgirl (Kyrax2) at SDCC in 2011 did nothing wrong in calling out DC for their shitty record with female creators in New 52.

Sure, DC has the legal right to do whatever they want with their characters, but as every artist they have a creative obligation to present the best stories they can. And as a reader I have the right to say that shitty stories are shitty stories.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given what happened to Wally West it makes me wonder if anyone called out DC Comics for their actions in PUBLIC, via Comic cons or something like that ?

I mean Forums and Twitter is one thing, but a PUBLIC SHAMING is another. Right ?

As fans of DC comics: What do you think of this ?
    IMO, a public shaming over a fictional character is a million times worse than anything DC or any CB company has ever done. Again, just my opinion.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Didn't the Marvel version of this thread, posted by the exact same poster, get shut down by Conn Seanery?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Didn't the Marvel version of this thread, posted by the exact same poster, get shut down by Conn Seanery?
    Yep. I hadn't known about it. Now I know what needs to be done regarding this one...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?