Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Has ANYONE CALLED OUT Marvel Comics for their actions with fan characters ?

Given what happened to She-Hulk in recent years in the comics it makes me wonder if anyone called out Marvel Comics for their actions in PUBLIC, via Comic cons or something like that ?

I mean Forums and Twitter is one thing, but a PUBLIC SHAMING is another. Right ?

As fans of Marvel comics: What do you think of this ?

what would be the point? #firstworldproblems

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given what happened to She-Hulk in recent years in the comics it makes me wonder if anyone called out Marvel Comics for their actions in PUBLIC, via Comic cons or something like that ?

I mean Forums and Twitter is one thing, but a PUBLIC SHAMING is another. Right ?

People DO confront some creators at conventions.

But one needs to be careful with such things, lest you end up in jail.

In the past year(?) I have been finding that many people have been saying stuff for the last 4-5 years( Maybe more) that has been going on in comics. However, it usually ends with them being called hateful names.

I think actual discussion should be had with creators at the big two. It's clear that sales have been dropping to severe lows and their are heading towards the cusp of no return. Just based on the numbers if both companies have about 2-3 years left to regain or actually bring in a new audience or they will be at the point of spiral they wont come out of . Maybe the fans can help by giving solid suggestions and criticism's. Many of the current creators don't have actual experience in the medium anyway. Not sure why someone who has working knowledge of the medium due to being invested in it for multiple years can't help someone who has no experience at all.

People will jump at this post to deny it but just keep a mental memory of my "I told ya so".
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

What happened to She Hulk? Her Embiggening?
    And is the question simply asking if people who don't like the direction being written have voiced their opinion to creators?

YES.
    Often.
    Too often with unnecessary vigor, even.
    EveryONE is not going to enjoy EveryTHING. That is life. Have a sandwich.
    Last edited by Fokken; 07-09-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Wait, so are we talking about their oftentimes poor treatment towards creators or just that the books aren't to your taste?

Astonishing Member

As we saw with comicsgate, the far right do tend to get delusional with them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    As we saw with comicsgate, the far right do tend to get delusional with them.
    Oh, you mean the people who were mad that Secret Empire reminded us that Nazis suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    And is the question simply asking if people who don't like the direction being written have voiced their opinion to creators?

YES.
    Often.
    What Fokken said. No matter what they do, some fans are gonna be pissed. I mean which fans are they supposed to choose to cater to, exactly? The fans are not a monolith who all share the same wants. Choose Bob over here, and you piss off Dianne over there, and cater to Dianne you piss off Joe. I mean i guess you can argue that some things are more widely disliked than others, sure, but still, the fans aren't steering the ship, Marvel is not under any obligation to make catering to fan desires their primary concern, even if that was possible.

Some of them would probably get off on a fan acting out---and continue the unwanted behavior! For example!e, they knew how much fans wanted Jean Grey back---and they made us wait virtually 14 years for Phoenix to resurrect.

Best not to engage.

Fantastic Member

It's their characters not the fans, so I take issue with the term fan characters.

I get that the books wouldn't exist without readers but that doesn't mean they should have ANY input. That way leads to Clone Sagas and the sort.

Back in the Jemas days, Marvel relished the public controversy. They would even stir up fake controversy to get headlines. It was fun at the time to see unfold and he kne exactly how fans would react.

But yeah, here's the cold reality. It's retailers who hold the power. Fans can drop books, complain, etc. As long as retailers order books, Marvel gets paid.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

YES.
    Often.
    Agreed 100%.

Not everyone is going to enjoy everything.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    It's their characters not the fans, so I take issue with the term fan characters.

I get that the books wouldn't exist without readers but that doesn't mean they should have ANY input. That way leads to Clone Sagas and the sort.

Back in the Jemas days, Marvel relished the public controversy. They would even stir up fake controversy to get headlines. It was fun at the time to see unfold and he kne exactly how fans would react.

But yeah, here's the cold reality. It's retailers who hold the power. Fans can drop books, complain, etc. As long as retailers order books, Marvel gets paid.
    Agreed again.

As much people complained about Bendis Avengers or Aaron's Thor, both runs have been successes.

Ultimately, Marvel simply responds to the green.

It sounds pretty dumb.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

This annoys me because there are still so many issues within the comic book industry. Poor pay, poor working relationships, fewer opportunities for PoC and women, plus just the unstable sales model and Marvel's frequen ocershipping.

But no, let's complain about She-Hulk.