Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't think calling out anyone or public shaming is necessary, but letting the higher-ups know in a polite and respectful way that the route Jason Aaron is going with She-Hulk isn't exactly well-received would be nice. But then I'm sure Marvel is aware that fans aren't happy with it anyway, and they probably just don't care.

Marvel Comics painted my wife green so she could beat me up in divorce court.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Stop reading the comic and that will send a message. Eventually, it will all blow over anyway, even changes you feel are interesting and productive, like Infamous Iron Man.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Wait, what's the big controversy surrounding She-Hulk? I'm so out of the loop.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This annoys me because there are still so many issues within the comic book industry. Poor pay, poor working relationships, fewer opportunities for PoC and women, plus just the unstable sales model and Marvel's frequen ocershipping.

But no, let's complain about She-Hulk.
    If you right good stories you will get more money. It's quite simple money model. Produce Quality work, reep benefits until the company is no longer in business. Risk=Reward.

Comics is a freelance job, not an executive position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Stop reading the comic and that will send a message. Eventually, it will all blow over anyway, even changes you feel are interesting and productive, like Infamous Iron Man.
    This no longer works. I bet anyone in this thread can name at least 6-8 books who had "relaunched"(aka cancellations) 3-5 times before, if not more, before the company stopped producing the title.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

If you don't like the books, don't buy them. Don't encourage people to harass writers and artists.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    If you right good stories you will get more money. It's quite simple money model. Produce Quality work, reep benefits until the company is no longer in business. Risk=Reward.

This no longer works. I bet anyone in this thread can name at least 6-8 books who had "relaunched"(aka cancellations) 3-5 times before, if not more, before the company stopped producing the title.
    Also comic companies aren't going to know that someone stopped buying their book due to quality reasons. There are other factors why people stop buying comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given what happened to She-Hulk in recent years in the comics it makes me wonder if anyone called out Marvel Comics for their actions in PUBLIC, via Comic cons or something like that ?

I mean Forums and Twitter is one thing, but a PUBLIC SHAMING is another. Right ?

As fans of Marvel comics: What do you think of this ?
    Fill me in please... Exactly what happened to She-Hulk?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Fill me in please... Exactly what happened to She-Hulk?
    She's no longer depicted as a sexy bombshell, doesnt break the 4th wall, and isn't "funny"

Basically, people don't like change I guess.

At least they're trying something instead of retreading old ground. She's never been a best selling book so these things happen. Inevitably resulting in a return to "the classics" so fans should settle in for the long haul.

Change is good, look at what's going on with Ewing's Hulk for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    If you don't like the books, don't buy them. Don't encourage people to harass writers and artists.
    Talking to a creator and harassing are two different things.

Not only that but when it's made clear that a "creator" does not care about the fans or the characters they are writing, people have a right to let them know they are unhappy. These characters where here long before any creator today were and sitting back watching "creators" destroy an opportunity for characters to be here long after there gone is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Also comic companies aren't going to know that someone stopped buying their book due to quality reasons. There are other factors why people stop buying comics
    When shop's order less of an item, or when Marvel ships more of an item than the shops have ordered the company knows.

Shop owners have a false sense of actually having power. The big companies make the books that bring people into their stores. The Big companies dictate what is made and has the ability to disrupt any individual business on a whim. Without real consequence. The shop owners can't even return items like they could in the past.

So yeah individual shop owners have some power most of it laying if they will keep their shop open or not.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Wait, what's the big controversy surrounding She-Hulk? I'm so out of the loop.
    Jason Aaron has stripped her of her unique character and is now writing her like the Hulk with ****; but who cares if he's reductively transformed a derivative character into the original (You know, the one thing you're not supposed to do to a derivative character if you want people to stay interested in them.), stripped her of of her facilities making smart like Ox, and not make words good; since her body type no longer conforms to conventional standards of attractiveness... that's clearly all that matters.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-09-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    She's no longer depicted as a sexy bombshell, doesnt break the 4th wall, and isn't "funny"

Basically, people don't like change I guess.

At least they're trying something instead of retreading old ground. She's never been a best selling book so these things happen. Inevitably resulting in a return to "the classics" so fans should settle in for the long haul.

Change is good, look at what's going on with Ewing's Hulk for example.
    Okay, no.

This isn't an evolution for the character of She-Hulk. It's a reduction. It's reverting her back to her Savage She-Hulk days (when she wasn't popular BTW), and even further to the point where she's unrecognizable as a character.

They would never do something like this to a male character. Imagine taking Deadpool and reducing him to a dark, brooding edgelord. Fans would riot. But because She-Hulk is a woman in a man's playing field, it's just fine to take her and reduce the feminist aspects in favor of what very few people would call "growth."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

No one is owed anything.

Comics are a product, if you do not like them stop buying them.

Things like this make comic fans look like a bunch of basement dwelling trolls.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

which is why I used the word "eventually" in my post. And there are probably factors we're not knowlegeable on like what percentage is product sold in a store vs digital sales from comixology, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Jason Aaron has stripped her of her unique character and is now writing her like the Hulk with ****; but who cares if he's reductively transformed a derivative character into the original (You know, the one thing you're not supposed to do to a derivative character if you want people to stay interested in them.), stripped her of of her facilities making smart like Ox, and not make words good; since her body type no longer conforms to conventional standards of attractiveness... that's clearly all that matters.
    I see what you did there. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Okay, no.

This isn't an evolution for the character of She-Hulk. It's a reduction. It's reverting her back to her Savage She-Hulk days (when she wasn't popular BTW), and even further to the point where she's unrecognizable as a character.

They would never do something like this to a male character. Imagine taking Deadpool and reducing him to a dark, brooding edgelord. Fans would riot. But because She-Hulk is a woman in a man's playing field, it's just fine to take her and reduce the feminist aspects in favor of what very few people would call "growth."
    I agree with what you are saying in this overall post. She is unrecognizable and the change hasn't really helped her character development at all.

But this isn't really a gender/sex issue. This is the same batch of creators that turned Captain America into a Nazi, turned Hawkeye into Homer Simpson, and Made Thor an Unworthy Drunkered , among a long list other things. If anything She-Hulk to Hulk is another stupid idea in a host of stupid ideas.