Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Concepts in fantasy you dislike
    The main characters in a fantasy work is almost always like the
    friends i went to Florida with on Spring Break..... Errrrbody is white and straight. ..
    Last edited by BroHomo; 07-10-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The main characters in a fantasy work is almost always like the
    friends i went to Florida with on Spring Break..... Errrrbody is white and straight. ..
    Not sure if that is a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    Not sure if that is a concept.
    It's probably as much of a concept as "Faith Willing Things Into Existence..."

Think about how long it took to get Lestat and Louis, and they are still pretty darn white.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-11-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

I feel there is a tendency these days to consider fantasy where the majority of the characters are white as something negative. Either way, that is not what this thread is about. If anyone feel the need to bring up ethnic representations in fantasy, they should start their own thread about the topic.

Extraordinary Member

Is that really such a hard concept to understand tho? Giving something power by believing in it. Even on a mundane level the concept is simple. Even celebrities have power over ppl that worship them. Doesn't seem like something that needs a whole lot of explaining imo.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-11-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't get why henchmen stick around with villains who routinely kill their own men on a whim.
    Agreed with this, I mean I get it when it's done maybe once in the series after something big. But the villains that casually murder their underlings/henchmen almost never makes sense to me.

*rare exceptions to guys like Frieza, who had no problems with casual genocide. So it was more like slavery with benefits rather than employment.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Subversion for the sake of subversion, particularly for stories archetypes and beats that are subverted so often that at this point playing it straight would be the subversion.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Is that really such a hard concept to understand tho? Giving something power by believing in it. Even on a mundane level the concept is simple. Even celebrities have power over ppl that worship them. Doesn't seem like something that needs a whole lot of explaining imo.
    We are not talking about charisma and celebrity worshipping here, but real power of the kind that only exist in fiction. Given a proper explanation or not, I'm not fond of it, which was kind of the point here.