Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

My two cents, I don’t hate any MCU movie, they are entertaining, but I think the MCU is ridiculously overrated. These movies are getting 80’s and 90’s Rotten Tomatoes Scores, they are not that good. These movies will never become classics. I call the MCU the new Disco, very popular at a point in time, but twenty years later no one can figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Was "I am Iron Man" supposed to have the same effect as a well-delivered "I'm Batman?"

(FIY, not sure citing Christian Bale is the best example, given that he had a pretty bad Batman voice. Kevin Conroy, Will Arnett, or Michael Keaton would be a better example.)

Good way to look at things.
    Bale's delivery was bad in TDK, no one is arguing that.I didn't cite it as it is not part of the best of I'm Batman.

I'm Iron man was great in Iron Man 1 only.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Bale's delivery was bad in TDK, no one is arguing that.I didn't cite it as it is not part of the best of I'm Batman.

I'm Iron man was great in Iron Man 1 only.
    Sorry, still don't see why it didn't work in Endgame.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Obviously, not everyone will like everything, that's fair enough. But let's not pretend that our individual opinions are representative of audiences at large or critics for that matter. Even on these boards, we have just about 5-6 posters (some that keep coming back with different usernames) constantly dumping on everything Marvel. All the talk of "brainwashed masses" simply reeks of sour grapes because their favorite characters aren't achieving the same success witnessed in the MCU (not to mention is very insulting).

It's ok to love DC or XCU movies or something but again, we shouldn't present our opinion fact. Arguing about how iconic certain lines in movies are pretty pointless because there's no way to quantify the impact of said line. I'm Batman is iconic, so is I'm Iron Man, the end.

That being said, what the MCU has done has never been done before. Building an entire universe where everything is connected and getting fans to get so invested in this that they come back to watch each movie to see the next chapter is no small feat. There's a reason why other studios are scrambling (and failing) to get their shared universes off the ground. It's not just about bringing Batman and Superman together or The Mummy or some other monster together, it's about telling stories that fans can get invested in to keep them coming. All the talk of "Marvel movies being forgettable" is bunk simply because we've seen audiences keep coming back (in greater numbers going off the box office figures) to the franchise and their characters. Not to mention that Marvel is the first studio to have a $150 million+ movie with black actors that touched upon social issues that most major blockbusters might see as being "too controversial" and get a best picture nomination in the process (which for some reason drove some people into existential crisis).

The impact of the MCU is unprecedented. The first two main Avengers movies grossed over a billion and the last two grossed over 2 billion (second might end up being the biggest ever), we are literally watching history unfolding before our eyes. As for the OP, a lot of people don't like the MCU for a variety of reasons and that's all good. Nothing is universally loved or hated for that matter.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-12-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Lots of people hate the MCU. Quite a few CBR posters can't stand Marvel films and will remind you all the time the weakness of films randomly. Some posters hate the DCEU and XCU and Sony movies. But the anti-MCU HATE the films with a fervor. They have quite a passion for hating the film line. I admire their dedication in keeping the hate alive by watching every single MCU movie and critiquing all the weaknesses each film has. If a person can't stand an actor/actress or director they should pass. Same goes with the MCU especially with how worked up they get by reading their reviews.
    Quoted for truth.

I've long said it on these boards that one shouldn't watch what they don't enjoy.

I watched one Twilight movie and that was it for me despite their popularity. Why should i subject my self to such severe punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I've long said it on these boards that one shouldn't watch what they don't enjoy
    How are you supposed to know you don't enjoy a movie if you haven't watched it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Because you've established as an individual that you don't like the style of film making i.e humor, cinematography, the characters, vfx, e.t.c. Marvel's movies are chock full of these things, so why subject yourself to something that simply isn't going to work for you?

I watched one Twilight movie and I knew this wasn't for me. I watched the first three Transformers movies and I zoned out.

Ultimate Member

Because you've established as an individual that you don't like the style of film making i.e humor, cinematography, the characters, vfx, e.t.c. Marvel's movies are chock full of these things, so why subject yourself to something that simply isn't going to work for you?

I watched one Twilight movie and I knew this wasn't for me. I watched the first three Transformers movies and I zoned out.

BANNED

I knew the Star Wars franchise wasn't for me after watching just one of them (I don't even remember which one).

::shrug::

The funny thing about this "muh opinions" (in a very generic sense) game is this: I think you like shitty movies, and you think I like shitty movies. We never really "win".
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 07-12-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I like them for the most part. I def think the Russos are waaayy overated though. I kinda hate that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Obviously, not everyone will like everything, that's fair enough. But let's not pretend that our individual opinions are representative of audiences at large or critics for that matter. Even on these boards, we have just about 5-6 posters (some that keep coming back with different usernames) constantly dumping on everything Marvel. All the talk of "brainwashed masses" simply reeks of sour grapes because their favorite characters aren't achieving the same success witnessed in the MCU (not to mention is very insulting).

It's ok to love DC or XCU movies or something but again, we shouldn't present our opinion fact. Arguing about how iconic certain lines in movies are pretty pointless because there's no way to quantify the impact of said line. I'm Batman is iconic, so is I'm Iron Man, the end.

That being said, what the MCU has done has never been done before. Building an entire universe where everything is connected and getting fans to get so invested in this that they come back to watch each movie to see the next chapter is no small feat. There's a reason why other studios are scrambling (and failing) to get their shared universes off the ground. It's not just about bringing Batman and Superman together or The Mummy or some other monster together, it's about telling stories that fans can get invested in to keep them coming. All the talk of "Marvel movies being forgettable" is bunk simply because we've seen audiences keep coming back (in greater numbers going off the box office figures) to the franchise and their characters. Not to mention that Marvel is the first studio to have a $150 million+ movie with black actors that touched upon social issues that most major blockbusters might see as being "too controversial" and get a best picture nomination in the process (which for some reason drove some people into existential crisis).

The impact of the MCU is unprecedented. The first two main Avengers movies grossed over a billion and the last two grossed over 2 billion (second might end up being the biggest ever), we are literally watching history unfolding before our eyes. As for the OP, a lot of people don't like the MCU for a variety of reasons and that's all good. Nothing is universally loved or hated for that matter.

The closest analog to what Marvel is dong now is what Universal did with Monsters in the 30's or what Toei did with Kaiju films and Godzilla in the 60's.

Or maybe...Shaw Bros in the late 60's to the 70's. While the Shaw Bros movies didn't all have their own internal continuity but they do have a
    standard quality level in their genre.

You have to look hard to find a BAD Shaw Bros. movie (assuming you like Martial Arts filcks, that is)

I think Marvel does also.

Even the worst Marvel film is watchable.

Unlike say, the last Fantastic Four movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    My two cents, I don’t hate any MCU movie, they are entertaining, but I think the MCU is ridiculously overrated. These movies are getting 80’s and 90’s Rotten Tomatoes Scores, they are not that good. These movies will never become classics. I call the MCU the new Disco, very popular at a point in time, but twenty years later no one can figure out why.
    The MCU itself is over ten years old. It's a bit too late to call it a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The MCU itself is over ten years old. It's a bit too late to call it a fad.
    Disco lasted for more than a decade and the Western film genre even longer. We all know there are cycles to these things. In fact the age of the MCU actually proves my point the MCU has failed to produce a substantial legacy. The Dark Knight is the same age as the MCU and is still memed about today, its still a film people watch and talk about to this day. The MCU has really only been able to obtain the same cultural impact that TDK has very recently, with Infinity War and Black Panther and that is a decade after the TDK and we still don't know the lasting power of these films.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The MCU films are basically this generation's Star Wars. No. I don't hate them. Some aren't quite as good as others but on the whole I think they're fantastic.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Even the worst Marvel film is watchable.
    Even if that is true, a mediocre film is nearly indistinguishable from bad film in terms of how people consume it. If you think a film is bad you aren't going to watch it again, if you think a film is mediocre you aren't going to watch it again either. This is why I said most of these movies are only going to be rewatched if someone is undergoing an MCU marathon.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut