Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The problem with Thor Ragnorock isn't that it has too much humor, it's that it put the death of Odin and the destruction of Asgard in a Mel Brooks parody, and it completely failed to find any balance killing the emotional scenes. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies managed to make the emotional moments hit home despite their humor. The opening scene of Guardians 1 and Yondu's death in Guardians 2 always get me, whereas when Odin died all I could think was 'why the heck don't I care?'
    The ironic thing is that Mel Brooks did a movie with the title, "Life Sucks". It was a comedy but there were some serious scenes. One of them was a scene where a homeless man dies on the street. Brooks said he tried a dozen different ways to film the scene as a comedy and then he realized that you cannot do that as comedy but it just plain is not funny. So, for the first time, he realized he was going to have to do a movie where some of it was done as pure drama because some things just aren't funny and trying to do them as comedy will only make the audience feel bile in their throats.

Now, obviously, there's a difference between a homeless man dying on the street which touches on reality and the deaths of a race of gods which is total fiction. But, for me, Thor Ragnarok was just wasted potential. It succeeded at being what it was trying to be which was the very epitome of what the MCU has become which is basically have fun for two hours if you can keep from sighing at the need to turn everything into a joke to keep the audience coming back.

Mind you, I do understand the counter argument which I've heard many times in real life that people work hard all day, have to concentrate on their jobs and so on and they want fun entertainment, not to be lectured to or "taught a life lesson", etc. They want to forget their problems and laugh, not be reminded of all that's bad in the world.

And I do get that. I just think the MCU is pushing it too far and, worse, doing it because they have little confidence in selling the product any other way. I remember Bill Bixby once said that the 1960s Batman was the epitome of the campy comedy style but he suggested we ask ourselves why they did it that way instead of as a serious drama. His conclusion was that the people making the show thought the only way an adult audience would accept it was as campy comedy and they essentially made fun of the idea.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Okay I over spoke, every MCU movie is not the same, but for the most part they are the same, only about three or four are different.
    I also think the earlier stuff, Phase One, RDJ notwithstanding, played the comedy card less but it has become more generic by the numbers as time has gone on with rare and welcome exceptions.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Okay, if you didn't find Thanos a threat, I don't know what to tell you. However, I will take a well-rounded villain over one who's flatter, but more "threatening" any day; the former holds up better over time.
    Thanos was alright in IW. I am just burned out at the trope of a big villain alien wants to take over the world. its the most cliche villain trope in comics. In Endgame he was just there.

It made sense in context and was more then just a joke.
    I have seen other films make a much much much better decision, Does it make sense in the context of MCU movies because MCU movies have to be immature?

Funny thing about the MCU, they always tie the two together.
    Not for IW. IW is one of the worst story driven MCU movies.its one cgi mega battle after the next, tied in by a cliche alien invasion story. The reason ''many'' long time fans, who are now in their 30s, 40s or 50s are more drawn to Netflix marvel or grounded movies is because they forgo those type of alien invasion cliche tropes.

I do like that one better, too, but they are different movies.
    Because Winter Solider got to be a more grounded world.

You really don't get Pixar at all, do you? And, as far as the MCU Spidey movies, I have to say that there's no common ground to be found.
    I get Pixar more than you think I do. I am not trying to make Pixar characters into something they are not. I enjoyed them for what they are. I still don't understand why you are trying to make spiderman one.It reeks more of Disney not getting him. Should I also expect arguments mutants are like pixar characters?

This is the Spiderman I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I also think the earlier stuff, Phase One, RDJ notwithstanding, played the comedy card less but it has become more generic by the numbers as time has gone on with rare and welcome exceptions.
    Everytime RDJ played the comedy card, I was seeing RDJ and not Tony Stark. Call me crazy, I have watched many RDJ interviews, he acts just like Iron Man right down to the quips. its almost surreal.

BANNED

Pre-Disney MCU was very good. After Disney took control, the franchise became cookie cutter with too much bad CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    You know the answer to that though. It's probably best to quit this thread, let the haters hate and have their opinion. The rest of us don't have to apologize what we and hundreds of millions of others enjoy.
    Oh I know thats why I didnt reply directly to anyone. Just thought maybe there was something announced i didnt hear but clearly not. Anyway yea there are a few people who I actively avoid responding too because there just isnt a point and most of them are active here. I legit thought maybe there was some news about Antman getting cancelled I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Thanos was alright in IW. I am just burned out at the trope of a big villain alien wants to take over the world. its the most cliche villain trope in comics. In Endgame he was just there.

I have seen other films make a much much much better decision, Does it make sense in the context of MCU movies because MCU movies have to be immature?

Not for IW. IW is one of the worst story driven MCU movies.its one cgi mega battle after the next, tied in by a cliche alien invasion story. The reason ''many'' long time fans, who are now in their 30s, 40s or 50s are more drawn to Netflix marvel or grounded movies is because they forgo those type of alien invasion cliche tropes.

Because Winter Solider got to be a more grounded world.

I get Pixar more than you think I do. I am not trying to make Pixar characters into something they are not. I enjoyed them for what they are. I still don't understand why you are trying to make spiderman one.It reeks more of Disney not getting him. Should I also expect arguments mutants are like pixar characters?

This is the Spiderman I grew up with.

Thanos doesn't want to take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Thanos doesn't want to take over the world.
    Take over the world
    Destroy half the world
    Reshape the world
    Remake the world

It's the same alien invasion trope. The time travel plot device is worse, predicting the final act is an understatement even for the usual juvenile Disney script. Endgame is called a fan service send off movie because Avengers 1 already did everything apart from time travel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Pre-Disney MCU was very good. After Disney took control, the franchise became cookie cutter with too much bad CGI.
    Watch Justice League, that's bad CGI. I don't see bad CGI in Marvel Movies

Take over the world
    Destroy half the world
    Reshape the world
    Remake the world

It's the same alien invasion trope. The time travel plot device is worse, predicting the final act is an understatement even for the usual juvenile Disney script. Endgame is called a fan service send off movie because Avengers 1 already did everything apart from time travel.
    Care to remind me a film where an alien wants to destroy haf the universe because he thinks it's overpopulated?

Care to also remind an alien ivasion where they are only after one specific thing and don't really care about taking over humanity?

BANNED

Edit: Nvm, the point I was responding to was even sillier than I thought...
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 07-25-2019 at 06:25 AM.

BANNED

Take over the world
    Destroy half the world
    Reshape the world
    Remake the world

The villains in Avatar wanted to take over the world...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Watch Justice League, that's bad CGI. I don't see bad CGI in Marvel Movies
    Eh...there's been some spotty CGI in some MCU movies...most notably in Black Panther (which I read is because they got footage too close to release date).

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Care to remind me a film where an alien wants to destroy haf the universe because he thinks it's overpopulated?
    The Alien wants to destroy half the universe. it's still destroying the world.

Care to also remind an alien ivasion where they are only after one specific thing and don't really care about taking over humanity?
    Loki was after the Tesseract in Avengers 1.

The ''one specific thing'' as you call it , is not relevant to what builds up to a cliche final act or the end of humanity still getting destroyed. Thanos snapped humanity.

Can you remind me of any Avengers movie where the villain did not call his minions to fight the heroes and they have this massive large cgi battle in the end. Maybe Endgame's biggest downfall with time travel cliches.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the reason Winter Solider is so beloved out of all the MCU movies even on this ''I hate MCU thread.''

This guy summed it up best

The Winter Solider worked really well because they were allowed to take the material seriously and tell a story grounded in real world tensions and politics, maybe you just can't do that kind of thing with giant purple CGI Man.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...U-films/page11

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    The villains in Avatar wanted to take over the world....
    Avatar's plot was bad, maybe worse than Endgame since I think cliche romance stories is worse than cliche time travel stories. Have you watched the time traveler's wife. its such a beautiful crafted movie. it has everything Avatar and Endgame doesn't. Great romance and good time travel plot device, I dont want to spoil it, if you have not seen it but believe me when I say you would appreciate how time as a character is so important at the very end of time travel movies unlike the 2nd arc one off in Endgame. I think Avatar and Endgame deserve eachother. Give me T2 over them anyday.

BANNED

Avatar's plot was bad, maybe worse than Endgame since I think cliche romance stories is worse than cliche time travel stories. Have you watched the time traveler's wife. its such a beautiful crafted movie. it has everything Avatar and Endgame doesn't. Great romance and good time travel plot device, I dont want to spoil it, if you have not seen it but believe me when I say you would appreciate how time as a character is so important at the very end of time travel movies unlike the 2nd arc one off in Endgame. I think Avatar and Endgame deserve eachother. Give me T2 over them anyday.
    T2 had villains wanting to take over the world.