Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    By that point, Batman could’ve said “Merry Christmas” and it would’ve been intimidating
    He said ''nice coat'' after. It was not intimidating.

How about Peter saying ''who am I, Am Spiderman''.

Not as intimidating as Batman, but very emotional and reassuring of his destiny as Spiderman.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-11-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    He said ''nice coat'' after. It was not intimidating.
    He said "I'm Batman" to a guy while in his face after taking out all of his men. He literally could of said anything at that point and dude would've been equally context. Nice Coat was said under very different circumstances to some random person he hadn't spent the last several minutes playing mind games with.
    How about Peter saying ''who am I, Am Spiderman''.

Not as intimidating as Batman, but very emotional and reassuring of his destiny as Spiderman.
    I don't see how that's any different from Tony Stark's I am Iron Man monologue at the end of Iron Man 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    He said "I'm Batman" to a guy while in his face after taking out all of his men. He literally could of said anything at that point and dude would've been equally context. Nice Coat was said under very different circumstances to some random person he hadn't spent the last several minutes playing mind games with.

I don't see how that's any different from Tony Stark's I am Iron Man monologue at the end of Iron Man 3.
    RDJ quips a lot. Its annoying.

''I'm Spiderman'' was part of a serious personal montage Peter was saying in his mind about his life.

Whatever life holds in store for me...
    I will never forget these words,
    "With great power
    comes great responsibility. "
    This is my gift.
    My curse.
    Who am I?
    I'm Spiderman.

Well I hate First Avengers and Iron Man 3, the only major fails of the franchises so far imO.

Extraordinary Member

I am Iron Man is cheesy. I think its RDJ voice or how he delivers the line. it does not bring up fear or awe like I am Batman. Speaking of how immature MCU can be, I didn't like the final exchange between Iron Man and Thanos in Endgame, along with the exchange of the first meeting between Spiderman and Captain Marvel. I was sitting in cinemas thinking what kind of juvenile writing is this. I am Batman strikes fear in people.

Whether you like it is immaterial to the point. It is iconic and set the tone for the entire MCU. The very idea of a superhero publicly outing himself instead of living a double life was unheard of in 2008. People remember it, which is why it was brought back 11 years later for RDJ's final scene.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Whether you like it is immaterial to the point. It is iconic and set the tone for the entire MCU. The very idea of a superhero publicly outing himself instead of living a double life was unheard of in 2008. People remember it, which is why it was brought back 11 years later for RDJ's final scene.
    While this is kinda true, you have to realize Iron Man was relatively unknown to the public. A lot of people thought he was based on the Black Sabbath song. Many people watched that film thinking the reveal was just some thing that is true of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    While this is kinda true, you have to realize Iron Man was relatively unknown to the public. A lot of people thought he was based on the Black Sabbath song. Many people watched that film thinking the reveal was just some thing that is true of the character.
    Iron Man starts playing as soon as he says it too.

I think one's definition of 'iconic' has to be pretty broad for that scene to qualify. 'Puny god' fits the bill much more. (And that ****'s pure Whedon.)

Astonishing Member

Lots of people hate the MCU. Quite a few CBR posters can't stand Marvel films and will remind you all the time the weakness of films randomly. Some posters hate the DCEU and XCU and Sony movies. But the anti-MCU HATE the films with a fervor. They have quite a passion for hating the film line. I admire their dedication in keeping the hate alive by watching every single MCU movie and critiquing all the weaknesses each film has. If a person can't stand an actor/actress or director they should pass. Same goes with the MCU especially with how worked up they get by reading their reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I admire their dedication in keeping the hate alive by watching every single MCU movie and critiquing all the weaknesses each film has. If a person can't stand an actor/actress or director they should pass. Same goes with the MCU especially with how worked up they get by reading their reviews.
    When something dominates popular culture to the degree that the Marvel movies currently do, people get dragged to see them, or made to sit through them (they picked last time, right?)

I never understand why people without young kids get mad about some kids stuff that gets big, but the MCU is unavoidable unless you retreat from pop culture altogether.

Hell, I've gotten the "what's wrong with you? why do you hate Marvel" pushback for being insufficiently excited about a movie, or when I haven't gone to see a Marvel movie within a week of its release.
    Last edited by Tuck; 07-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Never watched one episode of The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or The Big Bang Theory. I don't need others to tell me what's popular and what I should like. If I'm interested I will watch it.

I am Iron Man is cheesy. I think its RDJ voice or how he delivers the line. it does not bring up fear or awe like I am Batman. Speaking of how immature MCU can be, I didn't like the final exchange between Iron Man and Thanos in Endgame, along with the exchange of the first meeting between Spiderman and Captain Marvel. I was sitting in cinemas thinking what kind of juvenile writing is this. I am Batman strikes fear in people.
    Was "I am Iron Man" supposed to have the same effect as a well-delivered "I'm Batman?"

(FIY, not sure citing Christian Bale is the best example, given that he had a pretty bad Batman voice. Kevin Conroy, Will Arnett, or Michael Keaton would be a better example.)

Never watched one episode of The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or The Big Bang Theory. I don't need others to tell me what's popular and what I should like. If I'm interested I will watch it.
    Good way to look at things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Iron Man starts playing as soon as he says it too.

I think one's definition of 'iconic' has to be pretty broad for that scene to qualify. 'Puny god' fits the bill much more. (And that ****'s pure Whedon.)
    Famous, oft-repeated, well remembered in pop-culture and by the masses, influential. And the fact that Iron Man as a character was relatively unknown only amplified the effect. After the 2008 movie came out Iron man went from a B-lister to a household name, and that was the moment that defined his character for most people who watched the movie. It doesn't matter how much any person doesn't like Robert Downey Jr., his acting, or his delivery. It's a major moment in the MCU, in superhero movies in general, and in American pop culture. Then they brought it back in Endgame in what is already being called iconic by pretty much every news outlet.

Iconic has nothing to do with quipiness, seriousness, or how it made you yourself feel, which is where most of the arguments against 'I am Iron Man' seem to be coming from. It has to do with overall impact on the masses and pop culture. When one moment defines a globally beloved character and a multi-billion dollar franchise, when people pint to that moment over a decade later as what set the stage for over 20 movies that followed, that moment is iconic.

So, whoever you're with has to watch what you want, like it or not?

People compromise on their viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Famous, oft-repeated, well remembered in pop-culture and by the masses, influential. And the fact that Iron Man as a character was relatively unknown only amplified the effect. After the 2008 movie came out Iron man went from a B-lister to a household name, and that was the moment that defined his character for most people who watched the movie.
    I have never gotten that impression once in eleven years. Hulk cutting off Loki in the middle of a villain speech is something that burned into people's memories.

It was a good movie, with an extra boost from it defying expectations. Iron Man didn't become a huge success because of the last line in the movie.

It's not "I'm Batman." That line was aped, parodied, homaged thousands of times before the 90s even started.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    So, whoever you're with has to watch what you want, like it or not?

People compromise on their viewing.
    Lots of couples I know don't watch the same thing as their spouse. The majority have more than one TV.

If you have kids I understand taking them to see MCU movies you hate. But you can always ask your partner to take them instead.

If your group of friends have to watch the MCU movie you can always pass unless you feel the peer pressure.

From what I sense I guess there are a lot of Anti-MCU posters with partners or kids or friends that enjoy watching these movies.

But some people just get a rush on hating whatever's popular.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Lots of couples I know don't watch the same thing as their spouse. The majority have more than one TV.

If you have kids I understand taking them to see MCU movies you hate. But you can always ask your partner to take them instead.

If your group of friends have to watch the MCU movie you can always pass unless you feel the peer pressure.

From what I sense I guess there are a lot of Anti-MCU posters with partners or kids or friends that enjoy watching these movies.

But some people just get a rush on hating whatever's popular.
    I'm imagining the proverbial "you" just sitting in a dark room, with the blinds closed, whispering "nobody can make me watch anything".

I'm kidding, of course- but seriously let someone else chose where ya go for once! Friends are important.