Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I don't think it's Disney who are responsible for Marvel's drift into comedy, I think that the success of Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy prompted Feige and co. to embrace a more light-hearted approach to their movies. Disney were responsible for Once Upon A Time, which was pretty dark at times.

I honestly don't want them to handle the X Men like that, but there's little anyone can do because they seem to take a particular delight in deliberately antagonizing fans - in short, the more you plead 'don't do it' the more they are likely to go ahead.
    That saying some fans can be pretty ridiculous, the trolling of Rian Johnson over The Last Jedi comes to mind. But Johnson had a real love for Star Wars and genuinely wanted to make a good movie. Feige seems to be only concerned in making movies that the general public like, instead of trying to make films that appeal to both fans and non fans. You can't win them all, of course, but you can avoid breaking fan's hearts. And in some ways that seems to actually be the plan.

The only solution is to stop watching them.
    As far as the bolded goes, that's a bit unfair. They are not doing it to antagonize fans. They are doing it because most fans are responding more positively the more they do it, not with words but with ticket sales. Any of us can say what we want and claim- maybe even really believe- that most fans share our opinion. But ticket sales tell the story. I say that as someone who really wished they would tone down the comedy and who rates Thor Ragnarok as the worst MCU movie. I have no problem if they do something as comedy that should be comedy and no problem with throwing in a few appropriate jokes but it's a joke a minute now and even DC has jumped on the bandwagon *because it works".
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I don’t care about that, I’m not getting any money out of either.
    I’m talking about what’s on the big scene, that’s the only thing I care about. The box office number is irrelevant to me. Disco was once popular and made a lot of money too, now that music is frowned upon.
    That is a really silly argument.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I don't think it's Disney who are responsible for Marvel's drift into comedy, I think that the success of Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy prompted Feige and co. to embrace a more light-hearted approach to their movies. Disney were responsible for Once Upon A Time, which was pretty dark at times.

The only solution is to stop watching them.
    Disney is responsible for the comedy. One of the major problems with Marvel is that Disney is using marvel films to tell Disney stories. GOTG and Ragnarok are so far off from the comics, its difficult to understand how Marvel got away with it.

I honestly don't want them to handle the X Men like that, but there's little anyone can do because they seem to take a particular delight in deliberately antagonizing fans - in short, the more you plead 'don't do it' the more they are likely to go ahead.
    80-20 chance they will do X-Men like that. The post guy of this thread put it best, MCU sells factory processed movies that are the same.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-06-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yes, the X-Men should be shelved, because a Kevin Feige lead X-Men will be a disaster
    I'd suggest that Feige's success, using properties that (at the time) were far less bankable than the X-Men, disputes your assertion.
    I don’t care about that, I’m not getting any money out of either.
    I’m talking about what’s on the big scene, that’s the only thing I care about. The box office number is irrelevant to me. Disco was once popular and made a lot of money too, now that music is frowned upon.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the big scene?" Could you more clearly define it, and what you mean by disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The Disco argument is pretty obvious. He could have said 8-track players or Beta machines. The argument is that anything someone doesn't like is going to go the way of the dinosaur- although that's a bad comparison because they lasted millions of years. But it's also a meaningless argument because it's just an unsubstantiated claim about something someone doesn't like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the big scene?" Could you more clearly define it, and what you mean by disaster?
    I meant “big screen”, sorry.
    The disaster would be a MCU formula X-Men. The X-Men isn’t just about mutants, it’s about acceptance and prejudice. I don’t see how that can work with the MCU formula. The MCU is about good vs evil, X-Men go’s beyond that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post

I see you are still trolling, is that all you can say?
    Last edited by luprki; 08-05-2019 at 12:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The Disco argument is pretty obvious. He could have said 8-track players or Beta machines. The argument is that anything someone doesn't like is going to go the way of the dinosaur- although that's a bad comparison because they lasted millions of years. But it's also a meaningless argument because it's just an unsubstantiated claim about something someone doesn't like.
    I disagree, but I accepted your explanation.

I see you are still trolling, because you can’t explain why you disagree
    I'm not picking sides, but I also don't think the disco analogy works. For one thing, even the genre isn't nearly as strong as it once was, it was the precursor to house, techno, and EDM, all of which are still going strong, and a lot of disco aesthetics get revived one way or another. If its frowned upon, its legacy and evolution are painting a different story.

Far From Home kind of has a parallel too -- Iron Man may be gone but his influence was everywhere and what his successor strives to be before he realizes he has to be his own hero. Thor: Ragnarok ended with Asgard not being a place, but being a people wherever they may land, which was followed up in Endgame.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.

I meant “big screen”, sorry.
    The disaster would be a MCU formula X-Men. The X-Men isn’t just about mutants, it’s about acceptance and prejudice. I don’t see how that can work with the MCU formula. The MCU is about good vs evil, X-Men go’s beyond that.
    Exactly.

Same problem with Spider-Man. The story of Peter Parker at heart is the story of a kid wracked with guilt over what happened to his uncle while helping his elderly aunt struggle to pay the bills largely by selling photos to a cheapskate and dealing with his super identity being a wanted criminal almost exclusively to not evidence but to the unsubstantiated claims of said cheapskate who has control of the propaganda machine. It's also a coming of age story. Granted it goes on until he's well-off and married to a super model but that's how it starts.

MCU Spider-Man is the story of Tony Stark's sidekick wearing an iron-spider suit of armor, merest implication of Uncle Ben in one scene of Ultron, a much younger Aunt May, no real financial problems because Stark would likely bail him out if it got that bad and no Jameson. It's so compromised that, except for a few elements, it's not the Spider-Man story at all.

That doesn't make it bad but it's just watering down the Spider-Man elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly.

Same problem with Spider-Man. The story of Peter Parker at heart is the story of a kid wracked with guilt over what happened to his uncle while helping his elderly aunt struggle to pay the bills largely by selling photos to a cheapskate and dealing with his super identity being a wanted criminal almost exclusively to not evidence but to the unsubstantiated claims of said cheapskate who has control of the propaganda machine. It's also a coming of age story. Granted it goes on until he's well-off and married to a super model but that's how it starts.

MCU Spider-Man is the story of Tony Stark's sidekick wearing an iron-spider suit of armor, merest implication of Uncle Ben in one scene of Ultron, a much younger Aunt May, no real financial problems because Stark would likely bail him out if it got that bad and no Jameson. It's so compromised that, except for a few elements, it's not the Spider-Man story at all.

That doesn't make it bad but it's just watering down the Spider-Man elements.
    The disappointing and logical outcome of Holland's Spiderman always trapped in the shadows of the Tobey Maguire. Holland's Spiderman is telling MCU formulaic stories mixed with Disney television stories. Maguire's Spiderman lives in an alternate universe at this point.

Uncle Ben does not have to die 3 times on screen but if we have seen flashbacks to The Wayne's death 4 or 5 times in Batman films, MCU can figure something out for Uncle Ben that makes him important. MCU doesn't care about Spiderman as his own character , what they care about is stroking how everything is very connected. Strangely it feels as if the world of MCU is shrinking more than it is expanding the more they contunue to force unnecessary connections like Spiderman villains having stronger ties to Tony Stark.

The SpidermanPS4 all cut scenes game play feels like a richer movie about Spiderman than Homecoming and FFH combined.

It makes you appreciate how big the marvel universe is since this game is just about Spiderman and he is part of a much larger Marvel universe that does not need to be mentioned in the game.

BANNED

It seems in the MCU, universe and connection is more important than the superheroes’ background and personal story. Except for Bruce, Tony, Steve and Thor (all pre-Disney) we know hardly nothing about the others. The only thing we know about Peter Parker is he has a best friend and has a crush on Michelle. The MCU has no interest in the heroes as a person
    Last edited by luprki; 08-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Ant-Man 3 wasn't announced during SDCC, even though sequels to Dr. Strange, Thor, Captain Marvel and Black Panther were. Its not definitive proof the franchise is cancelled, but big corporations rarely come out and say projects are dead.

Exactly
    Lol a movie that was never in production or even announced can’t be considered cancelled. Come on! Let’s wait at least the 7 years the “cancelled” Man of Steel 2 has had before saying there won’t be an Ant-Man 3.

And the hypothetical “meh” reaction to an Ant-Man 3 announcement means nothing. It’s the tenth biggest box office/popular vehicle out of eleven that Marvel has had, so what is that indicative of anything? If WB announcing a Justice League 2 the internet will also be met with a collective groan. That’s much more telling of where these two franchises are at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Disney is responsible for the comedy.
    No, that has been a factor back in the Paramount days. Heck, Robert Downey, Jr. was ad libing comedy from the very beginning.

One of the major problems with Marvel is that Disney is using marvel films to tell Disney stories.
    What do you mean by "Disney" story?

GOTG and Ragnarok are so far off from the comics, its difficulty to understand how Marvel got away with it.
    Probably because a good chunk of the general audience don't read comics and only know the characters from the movies. Besides, good craftsmanship tends to overcome this sort of thing.

80-20 chance they will do X-Men like that. The post guy of this thread put it best, MCU sells factory processed movies that are the same.
    Not the same; a lot of different genres and styles within the brand. May not be as experimental as say, Rogue One or Last Jedi, but still.

It seems in the MCU, universe and connection is more important than the superheroes’ background and personal story. Except for Bruce, Tony, Steve and Thor (all pre-Disney) we know hardly nothing about the others. The only thing we know about Peter Parker is he has a best friend and has a crush on Michelle. The MCU has no interest in the heroes as a person
    You forgot the Guardians of the Galaxy; all of them have their origins either explored or alluded to and they inform the characters in the present. Pretty good character work at that, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm not picking sides, but I also don't think the disco analogy works. For one thing, even the genre isn't nearly as strong as it once was, it was the precursor to house, techno, and EDM, all of which are still going strong, and a lot of disco aesthetics get revived one way or another. If its frowned upon, its legacy and evolution are painting a different story.

Far From Home kind of has a parallel too -- Iron Man may be gone but his influence was everywhere and what his successor strives to be before he realizes he has to be his own hero. Thor: Ragnarok ended with Asgard not being a place, but being a people wherever they may land, which was followed up in Endgame.
    What he said. All things eventually experience a fade in popularity, I honestly can't think of a single thing that has maintained it's popularity height forever. That's a rather silly criticism.

What the box office indicates is that a lot of people not only enjoy the current product, but continue to enjoy it and turn out for the movies even as ticket sales across hollywood diminish. It's not the end-all, be-all, but it's a pretty damn good indication of how it is reverberating positively with the public.

And for the record Luprki, you don't appear willing to have an actual back and forth. It isn't trolling, you've just made it abundantly clear you aren't looking for a discussion but a soap box.