Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Web Lurker, I don't know why you keep feeding him as if anything you say will change his mind or coming from a place of intellectual honesty. You must be very bored at work lol

BANNED

Some fans wants to talk about box office as a measurement of quality. Box office number has never been a good measure of quality.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a big fan of the DCEU either, but it’s on a higher box office pace after seven movies than the MCU was after seven movies. It’s hilarious how some say DCEU isn’t successful.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Some fans wants to talk about box office as a measurement of quality. Box office number has never been a good measure of quality.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a big fan of the DCEU either, but it’s on a higher box office pace after seven movies than the MCU was after seven movies. It’s hilarious how some say DCEU isn’t successful.
    Sucess can be measured by more than just box office. Box office is obviously VERY VERY important... but the critical reception and audience reception factor into that as well. It's why marvel movies are viewed as more sucessful than a lot of their peers. All of the MCU movies have been commercially and critically sucessful. Not all of them are billion dollar box office smashed of course, but none of them are bombs either. And that's a pretty good accomplishment considering there have been like 2 dozen MCU movies. Fox, Sony, and WB struggle to pull that off with 2-3 straight movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sucess can be measured by more than just box office. Box office is obviously VERY VERY important... but the critical reception and audience reception factor into that as well. It's why marvel movies are viewed as more sucessful than a lot of their peers. All of the MCU movies have been commercially and critically sucessful. Not all of them are billion dollar box office smashed of course, but none of them are bombs either. And that's a pretty good accomplishment considering there have been like 2 dozen MCU movies. Fox, Sony, and WB struggle to pull that off with 2-3 straight movies.
    Critical reception has shown not to be good measurement of quality either, especially when it comes to sci-fi movies. And the DCEU has no problem with audience reception.

Critical reception has shown not to be good measurement of quality either, especially when it comes to sci-fi movies. And the DCEU has no problem with audience reception.
    Plenty of DCEU movies had audience reception problems. That's a big part of their problem. They made money up to a point, but still received a backlash from the audience. And eventually that backlash effected their bottom line, as Justice League ended up a flop due to how much money the studio lost even if it did okay at the box office.

I'll agree critical reception isn't always a good measurement of quality. But that combined with box office sucess is as close to objectively defining a movie a sucess as you're going to get. If you can be both critically and commerciallu sucessful, you're good.

The Box office is all relative so stop making false equivalencies. Justice League lost money that has yet to happen to Marvel movie after 22 films. And yes Marvel movies made less but your talking about comparing the first movies ever of Ironman, Cap, and Thor. To Superman, Batman vs Superman, and Justice league... or actually Wonder Woman came first I think. Regardless if you dont think the DCEU movies had a reception problem I dont even know what to tell you.. I dont recall the General audience having an issue with MoS it was just Comic fans crying about the tone and killing. But BvS and Justice League got dragged through the mud. Making fun of BvS was part of pop culture from TV shows to comedians. Suicide Squad might have gotten the worst if it.

Wonder Woman,Aquman, shazam were all recieved well.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Web Lurker, I don't know why you keep feeding him as if anything you say will change his mind or coming from a place of intellectual honesty. You must be very bored at work lol
    He is hardly feeding me. If anything I am helping him see what Marvel has been hiding. Read all my posts and tell me if you don't truly see sense in it. Read why I said despite age of ultron's better rt score and larger bank account, it is not as good as Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence. A movie with similar concept. If you think that is trolling that you need to stop feeding, , then I am even more worried and disappointed with millennials.

BANNED

Quality of a movie is subjective, but the fact still remains that DCEU is on a higher box office pace than the MCU

Quality of a movie is subjective, but the fact still remains that DCEU is on a higher box office pace than the MCU
    If you want to make judgements based on box office... depending on how you look at the numbers, the MCU can look pretty darn good compared to the DCEU. 5 out of the last 6 marvel movies have earned over a billion dollars. So as nice as it is to say DCEU is on a higher box office pace, right now MCU is blowing DCEU out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Talk about deflection. You didn’t even answer my question(s). Does the Aquaman movie have a strike against it? And is it not a nuanced movie? And is it an unintelligent movie?

Or does your criteria only apply when you want it to?

Careful. That last question is tricky.
    I just said I did though. I still like the film and its certainly better than any MCU film, but I've never jumped up and down exited the film made a billion dollars because I know much of it was the Chinese audience and that reflects poorly on any film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Morbid curiosity demands I ask, but where does Hong Kong get considered in this? Is it's fanbase untrustworthy because it's part of china, or does it's box office mean more because of it's protests against China?
    The Hong Kong film market isn't really that much different than any other English market. My point is two fold:
    > The fact that the MCU can thrive in a market with is stepped in anti-democratic thought means that there is nothing in these films that challenge this viewpoint or worse, could be viewed as even supporting this ideology.
    > That because the Chinese market is thoroughly censored anything that can slip through is likely so bland and mind numbing that its going to be generic no matter what. This is actually a fairly mainstream criticism of the MCU and Disney movies broadly.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    He is hardly feeding me. If anything I am helping him see what Marvel has been hiding. Read all my posts and tell me if you don't truly see sense in it. Read why I said despite age of ultron's better rt score and larger bank account, it is not as good as Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence. A movie with similar concept. If you think that is trolling that you need to stop feeding, , then I am even more worried and disappointed with millennials.
    I hope this is satire at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If you want to make judgements based on box office... depending on how you look at the numbers, the MCU can look pretty darn good compared to the DCEU. 5 out of the last 6 marvel movies have earned over a billion dollars. So as nice as it is to say DCEU is on a higher box office pace, right now MCU is blowing DCEU out of the water.
    Of course the MCU is blowing the DCEU out of the water. 23 movies to only 7 for the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I think you doctor is more disappointed you stopped taking your medication to be frank. In every thread I've seen you in you peddle bullshit and conspiracy theories. Give it a rest. You hate the MCU, fine. Go do anything else and leave people be.

BANNED

I thought this is the “Doe Anyone Hates MCU Films” Thread
    Last edited by luprki; 08-23-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So once again Rotten Tomatoes is a quick easy way to see a collective opinion of a movie. But How do you tell if a movie is good?
    Uh, no, it reflects the collective opinion of critics who submit to Rotten Tomatoes. I've always found it telling that MCU apologists practically venerate RT, but not Metacritic solely on the fact that MCU films usually score somewhere in the 60-70 range on that platform. These aren't failing numbers, but they are much less impressive than the usual 80-90 threshold MCU movies usually reach on RT. FYI, I am aware Mttacritic and RT measure different things, though largely the end goal is the same; to recommend films.

1. How much money did the movie make?
    Nope, the box office is not an indicator of quality,

2. How well did a review with critics?
    You should only trust critics you personally follow and trust and not critics broadly.

3. How well did it do in the awards?
    If that is your standard, then pretty much every superhero movie with exception to Dark Knight and Black Panther is garbage. Also this falls into my criticism above as you are just sort of blindly following the opinions of people you don't know.

4. How well did it do when people go back reexamine things how does place among other movies whose quality has been determined over time.
    It is pretty difficult to have a broad knowledge of cinema and not see the MCU as being mediocre and I'm not talking about watching high art stuff or Citizen Cane. If you watch films like Jaws, Star Wars and Alien the competency demonstrated in these films is just not present in the MCU.

We have actually measuring sticks but some people won't talk about them. I wonder why?
    Well, you listed a couple of things that have been discussed before and rejected.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut