Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    We don't know exactly how many times "My creative freedom was limited" really meant "My ideas sucked, and I was the only one that liked them".

"Creative freedom" isn't inherently a good or bad thing, as far as quality is concerned.
    This is true but those four directors have all talked about how great Marvel Studios and Feige are about letting them make the movie they want. Whedon,Wright,and Jenksin issues were back when there was committee and Perlmutter. But that doesn't fit the narrative that Disney is crushing creativity and Marvel was better before Disney bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You know what, you're absolutely right.

Here was I thinking I was finally getting through. Wonder how you didn't know the 90s did magneto's origins. You think the cartoons would loose something that important? uncle ben was in the 90s too.

We don't know exactly how many times "My creative freedom was limited" really meant "My ideas sucked, and I was the only one that liked them".

"Creative freedom" isn't inherently a good or bad thing, as far as quality is concerned.
    Any Marvel movie that had creative freedom problems has always turned out to be in the lower batch of the worst to best marvel movies list As Disney has gotten bigger and bigger their creative freedom has shrunk
    I don't agree with this. quality most times is associated with one person or a team. the quality of marvel decreasing everytime they have another processed factory formulaic movie. the more things are more of the same, the more it looses quality look no further than spiderverse and FFH.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-12-2019 at 10:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't agree with this. quality most times is associated with one person or a team. the quality of marvel decreasing everytime they have another processed factory formulaic movie. the more things are more of the same, the more it looses quality look no further than spiderverse and FFH.
    Here you go again, admitting that you have an opinion about something (so that it can't be "attacked"), but then acting like that opinion is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    This is true but those four directors have all talked about how great Marvel Studios and Feige are about letting them make the movie they want. Whedon,Wright,and Jenksin issues were back when there was committee and Perlmutter. But that doesn't fit the narrative that Disney is crushing creativity and Marvel was better before Disney bought them.
    Oh, I wasn't trying to disagree with anything you had said, just offering a perspective.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 08-12-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Spider-verse had 3 directors, 5 producers, and 2 writers while Far From Home had 1 director, 2 producers, and 2 writers.

Here was I thinking I was finally getting through.
    I don't think either of us were getting through to each other at all.

Wonder how you didn't know the 90s did magneto's origins. You think the cartoons would loose something that important? uncle ben was in the 90s too.
    Confession time; I've never actually watched the '90s X-Men cartoon. Seen a few clips and no thank you to badly-aged animation and over the top voice acting. I mean this was the era of the '90s Batman cartoon, for crying out loud. (In all fairness, I love the even worse animated and voice acted Star Trek cartoon, so I'm not sure I was ever in the target audience for a series not focusing on the X-Men characters I'm primarily a fan of, so make of that what you will.)

What happened here was I had an apparently fake memory of that cartoon altering Magneto's origins and made the mistake of not double-checking before posting. This's what I get for doing that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think either of us were getting through to each other at all.

Confession time; I've never actually watched the '90s X-Men cartoon. Seen a few clips and no thank you to badly-aged animation and over the top voice acting. I mean this was the era of the '90s Batman cartoon, for crying out loud. (In all fairness, I love the even worse animated and voice acted Star Trek cartoon, so I'm not sure I was ever in the target audience for a series not focusing on the X-Men characters I'm primarily a fan of, so make of that what you will.)

What happened here was I had an apparently fake memory of that cartoon altering Magneto's origins and made the mistake of not double-checking before posting. This's what I get for doing that.
    Yea they have his origin in the cartoon. I think Xavier reveals it in a flashback. But it's just kinda his family all died in WW2 by those people. So that's why he is the way he is. They dont dwell on it and it a cartoon so it's super toned down and sanatized. Havent rewatched it in a long time so iono they might have gone deeper in later episodes but I dont recall. But from what i remember his origins isnt played up at all and instead of Nazi they say "Those people" or some crap. But this is esrly in the show I know Magneto has some episodes where he helps them against Aposcylpse and him and Xavier get stuck in the savage land. So maybe they explore it more in later seasons to make him more likable. The show was amazing to me at the time. But watching it now its redicousl how often Wolverine cries in that show. Like he cant go 3 episodes without breaking down crying lol
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.

BANNED

Yes, that was your point (unless you somehow phenomenally failed to communicate your actual point). That directors should allow to see their visions through, and the MCU would be better for it.

So you're assuming that all directors have good visions, all the time.

Because out of all the 15+ directors that the MCU has gone through, all of them had perfect visions for their respective films, and the man was just puttin' them down, right? And none of them had a shitty idea(s) that was shot down, right?
    That’s not my point. My point is the MCU would be better off if it wasn’t so predictable and sterile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    That’s not my point. My point is the MCU would be better off if it wasn’t so predictable and sterile.
    So you failed to say what you meant to say, as I suspected. “Directors with visions” can crank out predictable stuff too, y’know.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 08-13-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Here's the issue:

1. Predictable and sterile are subjective qualities. You are talking about your own personal taste as if it is a standard everyone agrees with.
    2. You stated that Disney executives are actively restricting directors with no support. I get the impression that you're making up a narrative to match your own feelings, then presenting that as fact.
    3. You are ignoring the fact that Perlmutter and the Creative Committee were the cause of much of the friction and that they were removed from the process since at least 2016.
    4. Several directors have publicly stated that they had large amounts of creative freedom.
    5. Your entire argument was based on your ignorance. People pointed that out. Now you're saying that your post on Alan Horn was not the point of your argument.
    6. When your entire argument is based on statements that are easily disproved, no one will be persuaded.

Hate? Strong word. Not interested in most of it? Pretty much. Tried watching some of the newer Marvel films, just could not get into them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Here's the issue:

1. Predictable and sterile are subjective qualities. You are talking about your own personal taste as if it is a standard everyone agrees with.
    2. You stated that Disney executives are actively restricting directors with no support. I get the impression that you're making up a narrative to match your own feelings, then presenting that as fact.
    3. You are ignoring the fact that Perlmutter and the Creative Committee were the cause of much of the friction and that they were removed from the process since at least 2016.
    4. Several directors have publicly stated that they had large amounts of creative freedom.
    5. Your entire argument was based on your ignorance. People pointed that out. Now you're saying that your post on Alan Horn was not the point of your argument.
    6. When your entire argument is based on statements that are easily disproved, no one will be persuaded.
    I disagree with almost all of your points. The one thing I agree on is sterile is subjective.

This is the “Does Anyone Hate MCU Films?” Thread. As anybody can see I have many reasons to hate MCU films.
    But my main pet peeve is how Disney has turned the MCU into a cash grab. It’s all about box office and not about good storytelling anymore. The pre-Disney MCU was excellent with good stories and great character development. Now it’s all about let’s play it safe to get a billion dollars box office.
    My last MCU is FFH, even I was expecting better than what I actually saw. That movie helped me decide, no more MCU films. I have gotten feed up with the MCU, I crave for a deep and great story, some that the MCU hasn’t done for a long time.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Hate is a strong word. They're just movies. A few were very good, some were decent, and some are bad. I feel that the MCU is way too formulaic with their storytelling and their characterization, but they make a ton of money so they're not about to change it up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Hate is a strong word. They're just movies. A few were very good, some were decent, and some are bad. I feel that the MCU is way too formulaic with their storytelling and their characterization, but they make a ton of money so they're not about to change it up.
    You are absolute right on everything and the word “hate” is too strong. A better word is “dislike”.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Spider-verse had 3 directors, 5 producers, and 2 writers while Far From Home had 1 director, 2 producers, and 2 writers.
    That is a team of individuals coming together to create something beautiful that they can call their own. FFH is tick boxing a Disney well in placed structure formula that has been used since Iron Man 2.

This thread is just a toxic dumping ground for XCU and DCU fans unhappy that their franchises were poorly managed.