Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Your wasting your breathe. I honestly think we should just let this be a thread for People who hate the MCU to vent. I mean if they post this stuff in most threads they get 20 people jumping down they're throat. But I get it, I dont care if someone doesnt like something i like. To each thyre own but when people say things that are either they're personal unpopular opinion being presented as a objective fact. Or just flat out untrue I get defensive. So you definelt handle it better then me but I'd think as much as we'd like to deny it people who dont like the MCU kinda get bullied in other threads. So maybe just give them this one to vent. Or not I like popping in to see where the conversation is going but yea I'm not gonna respond to defend the MCU anymore In this thread.
    Exactly.

I suspect that's why most people have simply left the thread for the people that really hate the MCU.

However, there does come a point when stuff starts to veer off reality, I mean, between Endgame/Infinity War and Captain Marvel and now Spider-man: Far From Home, the MCU just established itself as the most popular franchise since Star Wars (i would argue outside of the US and Europe, the MCU is significantly more popular than Star Wars). To deny their success which is an objective fact is pretty ridiculous.

All this being said, nothing is universally loved and nothing is universally hated and folks are free to hate what they hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I suspect that's why most people have simply left the thread for the people that really hate the MCU.

However, there does come a point when stuff starts to veer off reality, I mean, between Endgame/Infinity War and Captain Marvel and now Spider-man: Far From Home, the MCU just established itself as the most popular franchise since Star Wars (i would argue outside of the US and Europe, the MCU is significantly more popular than Star Wars). To deny their success which is an objective fact is pretty ridiculous.

All this being said, nothing is universally loved and nothing is universally hated and folks are free to hate what they hate.
    Box Office is down this year with no Moviepass money to prop it up. I don't think the argument that the sameyness represented by Marvel has an effect is completely unreasonable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monyok Miclovan View Post
    Box Office is down this year with no Moviepass money to prop it up. I don't think the argument that the sameyness represented by Marvel has an effect is completely unreasonable.
    Moviepass's effect is probably more pronounced in the US than other territories. When talking about the impact of the MCU, we have to look at the global situation because of the growth of the international market.

But Disney is making a killing this year. They are literally carrying the box office this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Domestically the films are doing very well, I can pull the numbers there as well. However people want to say it these movies arethe standard for their time. Also saying very few people are seeing it is hilarious.
    Except...I never said that.

I will throw out crushing box office numbers to prove that larger audience of this time like the product and consistently like the product over solid period of time. That is only thing that matters. People are trying to tear to films to shred but people like them that is point of using box office numbers. Some people might not like them but a lot of people like them. The people who don't like them are nowhere close to the majority.
    Sure, a growth in a sequels gross does demonstrate an increased enthusiasm for the franchise, but that doesn't indicate the film has staying power. We need only look to the Iron Man trilogy, a series of films that consecutively made more money, but the later films have no legacy or fan base. In fact the third movie is considered to be a major disappointment.

You keep saying the word 'like', but ordinary people like most things. If you sit them down to watch Green Lantern they will probably like it. There is however a difference between "liking something" and "loving something" and when we look through the films franchises that survive through the decades, they are films that were more than just liked.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-16-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Again, no one here has made that claim.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Eh, I'm just tired of the Marvel films because at this point I feel they're just shallow rebrandings of the classic comic tales that I love.

I get why other people like them, but to me they have all the production values with very little of the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Sure, a growth in a sequels gross does demonstrate an increased enthusiasm for the franchise, but that doesn't indicate the film has staying power. We need only look to the Iron Man trilogy, a series of films that consecutively made more money, but the later films have no legacy or fan base. In fact the third movie is considered to be a major disappointment.
    Pretty sure bringing back RDJ time and time again was a top priority for Disney.

Pretty sure bringing back RDJ time and time again was a top priority for Disney.
    I agree, people clearly love the RDJ's character even if they don't love most of the Iron Man films.

I don't hate them, I enjoy them for what they are, but most don't really stick with me afterwards like the Dark Knight Trilogy and the Toby Maguire Spider-Man films. These MCU films are too light-hearted, and generally low-stakes for my tastes most of the time.

BANNED

I agree, I seen Far From Home just yesterday and I can barely remember it. I’m not kidding.
    I still remember a whole lot about TDK and Toby’ Spider Man.
    Far From Home is just one of many overrated MCU movie.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-17-2019 at 07:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I agree, I seen Far From Home just yesterday and I can barely remember it. I’m not kidding.
    I still remember a whole lot about TDK and Toby’ Spider Man.
    Far From Home is just one of many overrated MCU movie.
    I have no problem remembering sequences of events in MCU movies.

Here's the thing: if you didn't like it, you probably won't remember it. One is the consequence of the other. But I highly doubt the "forgetting" part comes before the "not liking it" part.

Being forgettable is OK; you didn't like the movie. Plenty of other people can remember the movies, though, so...that's not much of an argument.

Plus to "not kidding" forget a movie you saw "yesterday", IDK man...I kinda question the 1) validity of the statement or 2) how well you retain information. If you had said "seen it last month", then fair enough, I guess. But just the day before? C'mon, try harder.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 07-17-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    The MCU doesn’t push the envelope, which is why these movies won’t be that memorable.
    No superhero movies push the envelope... Not really. That's not their purpose though.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    No superhero movies push the envelope... Not really. That's not their purpose though.
    Kick Ass, Kingsman...

Kick Ass, Kingsman...
    Did those really push the envelope though? Kingsmen is a modern pastiche on James Bond and Kick Ass is just a hyper violent deconstruction of superhero comics. They're entertaining as hell, but not envelope pushing. When I speak of envelope pushing, I'm talking about films like 2001, Vertigo, 8 1/2, Network. The Lobster, Memento, Children of Men for more modern films.

I think my biggest problem with this debate (which seems to pop up every three weeks or so) is that it just tends to devolve into posturing from different camps of superhero fans and because the movies are ultimately really similar, they have to overstate their cases. These movies are popcorn blockbusters that are meant to be enjoyed for their action spectacle and fun, likable characters. Most aren't even that noteworthy compared to your classic blockbusters like Jaws, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator, etc. And I say all this as a big fan of the Marvel movies and comic book movies in general. I just don't like the posturing or people who things their tastes are better because they hate on the MCU and like the DCEU (or just plug in any comic book movies).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Plus to "not kidding" forget a movie you saw "yesterday", IDK man...I kinda question the 1) validity of the statement or 2) how well you retain information. If you had said "seen it last month", then fair enough, I guess. But just the day before? C'mon, try harder.
    You totally missed my point.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    What are you talking about, there has been many superheroes movie that pushes the envelope.
    TDK franchise, Kingsman, Logan, Deadpool, Kick-Ass, Blade, The Punisher, Spawn, Christopher Reeve’s Superman and Michael Keaton’s Batman to name a few.
    What good is a superhero movie if it doesn’t push the envelope? That why the MCU is a dumb down franchise.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.