Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

If it is such a great system, why has it lost so much impact? RT is used now to mock movies than judge it with integrity. What measure do critics even judge superhero movies right now, it used to be on Aristotle post batman and robin, that dropped with the coming of superhero crossovers. I think someone here said its about how much fun the movie is with no filmmaking precedent. That is not a criticism to take to heart. Please tell me how Black Panther is a better than Greenbook because of the RT system.

The frustration of Ironboy Spiderman , The factory sterilized MCU formulaic movies has cut through the heart of the matter. No amount of supposed box office and critical success is making up for that. The RT system is more ridiculous than before now that people are trying to make it a little bit relevant again, it makes less sense than it ever did.
    What you are talking about? Primarily RT is just a quick reference to tell if a movie is good or bad. That what is it was before that is what is now.

Black Panther is a superhero movie, Green Book is a drama. Black Panther is a better superhero movie than Green Book is at being a drama. It never occurs you to the movies are judged on different scales and humans are complex enough to judge movies for what they are trying to do. Black Panther has higher enjoyability rate at what it is trying to than Green Book at what it is trying to do. Being the best scary movie has a whole different requirement scale than being the best sport fighting movie. Comedy can have a horrible plot but make you laugh the whole time that is a good comedy movie. A drama can have excellent acting, solid story structure, and great cinematography and be boring as grass growing and fail to entertain the audience. You can be a better technical movie but fail to entertain the audience. All-time great movies do both but good movies can do just one between technical mastery and being entertaining and called a good movie.

Rotten tomatoes is just fine as a tool, It provides all the relevant info needed for judging a movie. If you want to take a deep look look at top critic for a movie and then you click on review and read a bunch of knowledgable people opinions to form a solid opinion. You have an audience score a quick feel of what the audience thinks, You have an overall score a quick feel for what critic and bloggers think. RT is a pass-fail system which is just designed to get a consensus basically how watchable is a movie. The score is not an overall comparison between movies on technical merit. If you talking about one thing on RT you don't understand how to use it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-21-2019 at 07:59 AM.

I'd like to know what measurement Beadle is using to determine if a film is "good" or not? Box office sales aren't it and neither are critical reviews. So what's left?

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I don't "hate" them, but I have never been excited about them. And I won't lie: my one problem with the MCU from day one has been their horrible track record as far as female representation and POC representation. Obviously, it has gotten better in the last three years, but it still all about the white man saving the day (look how Tony Stark saved the day at the end of Endgame, Black Widow and Gamora ended up dead, and the whole endeavor was a big ode to the power of the hetero white male superhero). PLus, I never cared for Tiny Stark or Robert Downey Jr, which from day one the MCU was built around. Save your arguments; I have heard it all. At this point, I give zero effs about the MCU and nothing short of a total reboot that fully centered a woman or a superhero of color as the Tony Stark of said reboot would make me pay to see another MCU film.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I don't "hate" them, but I have never been excited about them. And I won't lie: my one problem with the MCU from day one has been their horrible track record as far as female representation and POC representation. Obviously, it has gotten better in the last three years, but it still all about the white man saving the day (look how Tony Stark saved the day at the end of Endgame, Black Widow and Gamora ended up dead, and the whole endeavor was a big ode to the power of the hetero white male superhero). PLus, I never cared for Tiny Stark or Robert Downey Jr, which from day one the MCU was built around. Save your arguments; I have heard it all. At this point, I give zero effs about the MCU and nothing short of a total reboot that fully centered a woman or a superhero of color as the Tony Stark of said reboot would make me pay to see another MCU film.
    Then you should be VERY happy with what they've announced for Phase 4.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I'd like to know what measurement Beadle is using to determine if a film is "good" or not? Box office sales aren't it and neither are critical reviews. So what's left?
    His own opinion and preferences. Is that not good enough for you?

BANNED

So what's left?
    Whether or not it was made by Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, or (apparently) Sam Raimi.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    When and what chatacters ? People complained we got too much Tony Stark in Ironman 3. One of the criticisms about the MCU is that they are the heroes story and so villians get the shaft sometimes.
    You are right about Tony, I’ll give you that, he and T’Calla are the only ones who was more person than superhero persona. But that’s it.
    As far as the villains, the MCU can do a better job.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-21-2019 at 09:27 AM.

BANNED

Everybody has their own opinion. And as we have seen, box office and critical reviews doesn’t always equal the quality of a film

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Everybody has their own opinion. And as we have seen, box office and critical reviews doesn’t always equal the quality of a film
    That's my point. It's an OPINION, which is subjective just like "quality" is. Beadle is coming off as though his thoughts are objective facts.

BANNED

That's my point. It's an OPINION, which is subjective just like "quality" is. Beadle is coming off as though his thoughts are objective facts.
    Don’t see that

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Don’t see that
    That does not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What you are talking about? Primarily RT is just a quick reference to tell if a movie is good or bad. That what is it was before that is what is now.

Black Panther is a superhero movie, Green Book is a drama. Black Panther is a better superhero movie than Green Book is at being a drama. It never occurs you to the movies are judged on different scales and humans are complex enough to judge movies for what they are trying to do. Black Panther has higher enjoyability rate at what it is trying to than Green Book at what it is trying to do. Being the best scary movie has a whole different requirement scale than being the best sport fighting movie. Comedy can have a horrible plot but make you laugh the whole time that is a good comedy movie. A drama can have excellent acting, solid story structure, and great cinematography and be boring as grass growing and fail to entertain the audience. You can be a better technical movie but fail to entertain the audience. All-time great movies do both but good movies can do just one between technical mastery and being entertaining and called a good movie.

Rotten tomatoes is just fine as a tool, It provides all the relevant info needed for judging a movie. If you want to take a deep look look at top critic for a movie and then you click on review and read a bunch of knowledgable people opinions to form a solid opinion. You have an audience score a quick feel of what the audience thinks, You have an overall score a quick feel for what critic and bloggers think. RT is a pass-fail system which is just designed to get a consensus basically how watchable is a movie. The score is not an overall comparison between movies on technical merit. If you talking about one thing on RT you don't understand how to use it.
    RT has never been a quick reference to tell if a movie is good or bad.

Superhero movies can be dramas, it is wildly accepted that dramas was a good progressive step for superhero movies after the failure of batman and robin, the superhero movies films that came later used drama as a means to tell superhero movies. what measure does black panther have, the story is cliche, the cgi is bad, the characters are paint by numbers. I could sum this up for most MCU movies but what is my measurement of doing so? Obviously something better than what Disney like to dish out with the juvenile approach to superhero movies.

Comedy can have a horrible plot but make you laugh the whole time that is a good comedy movie. A drama can have excellent acting, solid story structure, and great cinematography and be boring as grass growing and fail to entertain the audience. You can be a better technical movie but fail to entertain the audience. All-time great movies do both but good movies can do just one between technical mastery and being entertaining and called a good movie.
    Comedies find it hard to get decent reviews from critics. Because it makes you laugh does not mean critics will give it a decent review. so why are many superhero movies right now getting decent reviews because they are fun and makes us laugh?

The pass or the fail mark of film criticsms is to break down the movies categories and discuss it. acting, directing, producing, visuals effects, editing, sound mixing, cinematography, art direction, score, make up. anyone who can talk deeply about any of this categories of a movie in question is a person that knows what good film criticism is about. it is not about looking at rt scores that tells you nothing about a movie.

I would give you another good case argument. Deadpool 84%, Batman Begins 84%, GOTG 2 84%. All movies are from Fox, WB and MCU, to keep it neutral. Now despite any personal taste about how you feel about the films, Deadpool and Batman Begins represented seminal moments for both their series. Batman begins was batman coming back to his full glory, the introduction of nolan to a more mainstream audience, DC adapting a pure grounded take of Batman after Burton's Gothic semi noir take on the character.

Deadpool represented the rise of more risk taking films, a landmark moment for r rated movies and a unique unusual entry for xmen movies. Both movies changed their series forever. There is a good chance they are more important to their series than TDK and Logan. GOTG 2 is a throw away mcu movie, not among the best entries, not to mention one of the most immature disney movies with marvel's name, its hardly a fan favorite even among mcu fans, So how can it get the same rt score as Batman Begins and Deadpool? what measurement does GOTG 2 have to earn the same rt score as Deadpool and Batman Begins that are very important to their films.

I dont understand how to use it because I only use things that make sense and things that have real credibility. if you believe in rt they way I think you do, you must believe Thor 3 is better than Winter Solider. I can't find any credible evidence of this anywhere. Thor 3 did not do its homework based on the comics and genre, Winter Solider did a lot of its homework, so how is it that a movie that did no homework get a better RT score to another movie that did its homework? How can it have a better pass mark on RT when Thor 3 failed its homework miserably. If you think RT is that important, why does no one bring it up anymore except to make fun of it. MCU seem to be the only series that still get the same hate as any other series even with decent rt scores. what does that tell you about MCU and RT?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-21-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capNthor View Post
    Look at the internet’s reaction to the (actual) cancellation of Spider-Man 3! A giant meh! You were right a week ago, fans don’t care about these things. The ho-hum response from the interwebs also proves your recent theory that the Tom Holland version doesn’t resonate with fans anywhere near the Raimi films! I mean just look at the rage when they cancellled Raimi’s Spider-Man 4 compared to this tepid response.
    Nice try, but you are comparing a film franchise that most people were fine to see finished during a time when social media was in its infancy to one that is incomplete and during the golden age of social media outrage. The funny thing is, I came here to post that this news has broad to light that a lot of people do not like Tom Holland's Spiderman (just check the actually thread devoted to the topic). Moreover many are more concerned that sony are just going to screw up an okay thing.

That being said, the thrust of this outrage has really nothing to do with Spiderman. When I commented here that Ant-man franchise looks like it was cancelled, several posters were visibly upset, not because they were fans of Ant-Man, but because if Ant-Man 3 was cancelled that means their beloved MCU failed and they couldn't abide by that. In a similar sense MCU fans are upset because, essentially, they had a toy taken away from them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Nice try, but you are comparing a film franchise that most people were fine to see finished during a time when social media was in its infancy to one that is incomplete and during the golden age of social media outrage. The funny thing is, I came here to post that this news has broad to light that a lot of people do not like Tom Holland's Spiderman (just check the actually thread devoted to the topic). Moreover many are more concerned that sony are just going to screw up an okay thing.

That being said, the thrust of this outrage has really nothing to do with Spiderman. When I commented here that Ant-man franchise looks like it was cancelled, several posters were visibly upset, not because they were fans of Ant-Man, but because if Ant-Man 3 was cancelled that means their beloved MCU failed and they couldn't abide by that. In a similar sense MCU fans are upset because, essentially, they had a toy taken away from them.
    Ant-Man 2 is a better superhero movie than Batman Begins, Batman 89, X-Men 2, Kick Ass and Deadpool because of the higher RT score.lol . that is the only criteria it has to meet. How is this a conversation I am getting sucked into, even I should know better.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-21-2019 at 11:19 AM.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Then you should be VERY happy with what they've announced for Phase 4.
    Did they announce that Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Shang Chi are going to be the Tony Stark, Thor, and Captain America of their new phase? Cuz I could totally get behind that. Otherwise, no thanks.