Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Not gonna lie. The first thought that popped into my head after reading the title of this thread was, "Hmm... I wonder how many threads online exist for "Does anyone hate DCEU films?"
    The people who hate the DCEU share their opinions pretty much any opportunity they can. For several years you couldn't go into a DCEU thread without someone claiming on a daily basis they needed to perform a reboot and that these films were garbage. One of the reasons why I am so jaded towards the MCU and its fans is because of how they behaved.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

There is not a difference between a DCEU fan and a MCU fan, they are both equally annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The people who hate the DCEU share their opinions pretty much any opportunity they can. For several years you couldn't go into a DCEU thread without someone claiming on a daily basis they needed to perform a reboot and that these films were garbage. One of the reasons why I am so jaded towards the MCU and its fans is because of how they behaved.
    DCEU like MCU gets hate. my experience with the DCEU is there is an openness to the flaws of the DCEU. There is no openness to the flaws of the MCU, Holland's Spiderman is a good case, instead of some to just admit that MCU is not handling him as well as they should they are trying to convince me MCU is handling him well because Spiderman has always been like a Pixar character.

Its not a biggie in the DCEU to admit Snyder never handled Superman well or Batman doesn't kill. People get less hate when they are willing to admit their flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Course, it was post-Disney that the MCU cracked the code for writing good villains.

It was the post disney movies that MCU stood no chance of writing good villains, plus the slippery slope of too much humor and lighthearted stories that ruins many of their villains.

Course, I would contend that he did have some of his best moments in that movie, in regards to the Avengers films.
    It will be a no contender for me, as much as I can believe Spiderman is a Pixar character.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    There is not a difference between a DCEU fan and a MCU fan, they are both equally annoying.
    People can have whatever opinions they want, but at the same time, I have a strong suspicion that of the two franchises, I'd wager that DCEU gets more complaints than MCU. Not sure how exactly I'd explain that, but that's the feeling I have.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The humor has become almost unbearable for me. It's fine for Ant Man or GotG, but when Cap is cracking jokes about his ass...count me out.

I hate how they constantly undercut genuine emotion with a joke, totally kills the flicks. Sometimes you need to let a moment sit for a bit so that the landing can stick.

Thor lost his entire race of people, and his ancestral home, in a flick that is basically a farce. I couldn't believe Thor 3 when I tried to watch it. Couldn't even get through it. It was just so very bad. Yet it's really popular, so maybe I'm just not the audience.

The Winter Solider worked really well because they were allowed to take the material seriously and tell a story grounded in real world tensions and politics, maybe you just can't do that kind of thing with giant purple CGI Man.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-20-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The humor has become almost unbearable for me. It's fine for Ant Man or GotG, but when Cap is cracking jokes about his ass...count me out.

I hate how they constantly undercut genuine emotion with a joke, totally kills the flicks. Sometimes you need to let a moment sit for a bit so that the landing can stick.

Thor lost his entire race of people, and his ancestral home, in a flick that is basically a farce. I couldn't believe Thor 3 when I tried to watch it. Couldn't even get through it. It was just so very bad. Yet it's really popular, so maybe I'm just not the audience.
    I think the humor is balanced out well enough. I suppose some people miss the more "Shakespearean" tone Thor had before Ragnarok though.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think the humor is balanced out well enough. I suppose some people miss the more "Shakespearean" tone Thor had before Ragnarok though.
    I must. The first Thor was decent. I liked the world building.

Astonishing Member

IRL it seems almost everyone likes to crack jokes. Even on the web everyone is quipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Cap was worse in Ultron. The last act of Ultron was unbearable. Really bad in humor and visuals.

Another big complain in the MCU that I wish Marvel would consider changing.

Thor 3 is the perfect example of how unbelievably immature Marvel stories can be when they don't need to. Its the reason fat thor was not all that upsetting though still wrong for the character.

The Winter Solider worked really well because they were allowed to take the material seriously and tell a story grounded in real world tensions and politics,
    Winter Solider is their most important movie for this very reason

We missed the Shakespearean tone since that was true to the character. Marvel never needed to go down the slope of Ant Man or GOTG, What they needed was no constraints to tell a good thor story. the sad thing is both the directors of Thor 1 and Thor 2 had the talent and experience to do that, Marvel just never gave them the genuine chance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I wonder which reasons we're allowed to openly express dislike of DCEU fans for...

Not reading all these pages, but my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I don't know; I'm probably just some ignorant rube who doesn't appreciate fine art.
    No, I think you're just expecting fine art where you shouldn't be.

I dont disagree with your complaints; the villains are (usually) very lackluster, the comedy does sometimes undervalue the drama, and the uniformity of the production process does lend a kind of sameness to all the films (though given the shared continuity I consider that something of a good thing).

But these films aren't trying to be anything other than big, loud, bombastic summer blockbusters. They're not trying to have a deep exploration of the human condition or tell a story that'll make you think. You're supposed to just turn your mind off, enjoy the visual spectacle and laugh at the quippy one-liners. So for what they are, the MCU films do their job fairly well.

And as for the villains.....these actors only do so many films, and most of the time Marvel wants to use different villains for each movie, so there's no real need to keep them alive. The MCU is a long-running narrative like the comics yes, but unlike the comics the individual characters are only going to be around for so long so you're only going to get so much mileage out of their rogues galleries.

If that's not what you look for in movies, it makes sense that you're not a fan of the MCU. Its actually not what I look for in movies most of the time either, but I adjust my expectations for Marvel because I know what they're offering and it has worked really, really well for them and they're not going to change.

Maybe the Disney+ shows will be more to your liking. I'm sure they'll still have many of the problems you mention, but the extra air time might allow for some deeper character work, the humor might be more spread out and placed in more appropriate places, and I suspect at least a few of the villains will last beyond the finale. We know Zemo is coming back for Falcon-Winter Soldier, so there's one bad guy who survived his first movie, and Wandavision is tying into Dr. Strange 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if Nightmare turns out to have a role in the show, and survive the experience long enough to be in Strange. And Loki, as you said, is one of the few exceptions to your villain complaints so you've got that too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

So you're basically saying "I can't be bothered to read all that, but everyone read mine."

People can have whatever opinions they want, but at the same time, I have a strong suspicion that of the two franchises, I'd wager that DCEU gets more complaints than MCU. Not sure how exactly I'd explain that, but that's the feeling I have.
    The DCEU gets more complaints but they tend to be what I can only call Fluff complaints. In other words, the complaint is that the DCEU is not fluff and hence not "fun". Not to say that the MCU is all fluff or to deny that some of the humor is good but the MCU has learned that, at least in our current culture and in superhero movies, that's what most people want is fluff. Thor Ragnarok is a perfect example. Most people who made it a hit don't care what the story was or how inappropriate the humor was to the story. It could have been about anything as long as there was action and endless standup comedy routines. At that, TR really gets more criticism than it deserves since it was designed to be a comedy despite the content of the story. What is far more annoying is the Buffyesque need to undercut every bit of drama with one-liners that don't even remotely fit the situation.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was an example. I have nothing against Tom Holland but he's Iron-Spider, not Spider-Man. I loved the Vulture, a rare villain with real motives who isn't just the cut and dried bad guy. Yes, Spider-Man makes wisecracks. But here, Peter Parker makes wisecracks and half the movie comes across as "Wait for it. Here it comes for the hundredth time. The wisecrack as if they have no confidence in selling these stories except by pandering to the audience need for fluff.

I even say this as someone who generally likes the MCU movies and maybe just tries to ignore the fluff except for the occasional really good remark. It is unfortunate that the DCEU has thrown in the towel and realized they are never going to compete unless they give in and do the same thing. And now you've got people who go on about how "Good" they DCEU has started to get and how they finally "get it" and realize what people really want when DC has in fact realized that people don't get it and don't care.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

No, I think you're just expecting fine art where you shouldn't be.

I dont disagree with your complaints; the villains are (usually) very lackluster, the comedy does sometimes undervalue the drama, and the uniformity of the production process does lend a kind of sameness to all the films (though given the shared continuity I consider that something of a good thing).

But these films aren't trying to be anything other than big, loud, bombastic summer blockbusters. They're not trying to have a deep exploration of the human condition or tell a story that'll make you think. You're supposed to just turn your mind off, enjoy the visual spectacle and laugh at the quippy one-liners. So for what they are, the MCU films do their job fairly well.

And as for the villains.....these actors only do so many films, and most of the time Marvel wants to use different villains for each movie, so there's no real need to keep them alive. The MCU is a long-running narrative like the comics yes, but unlike the comics the individual characters are only going to be around for so long so you're only going to get so much mileage out of their rogues galleries.

If that's not what you look for in movies, it makes sense that you're not a fan of the MCU. Its actually not what I look for in movies most of the time either, but I adjust my expectations for Marvel because I know what they're offering and it has worked really, really well for them and they're not going to change.

Maybe the Disney+ shows will be more to your liking. I'm sure they'll still have many of the problems you mention, but the extra air time might allow for some deeper character work, the humor might be more spread out and placed in more appropriate places, and I suspect at least a few of the villains will last beyond the finale. We know Zemo is coming back for Falcon-Winter Soldier, so there's one bad guy who survived his first movie, and Wandavision is tying into Dr. Strange 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if Nightmare turns out to have a role in the show, and survive the experience long enough to be in Strange. And Loki, as you said, is one of the few exceptions to your villain complaints so you've got that too.
    The bolded are not exactly compelling defenses of the MCU. The Netflix stuff is far better. I get that it's far easier and more fun to watch something that is essentially mindless entertainment. So I don't entirely blame them for moving more and more towards something that has proven to work with most audiences. I think it's more that I despise trying to rationalize that these movies are better than they really are and that better movies are bad because they are not mindless entertainment.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

The MCU is just a dumb franchise with zero backbone, but that’s what makes it popular too.