Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    On a related note. "I am Iron Man" is now iconic twice over.
    It's kind of undercut by immediately going into the referent.

Iconic scenes and images are referents in other works and in the popular consciousness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, that's what "lasting" is. To my mind at least. That you will want to pull these movies out from time to time, ten, fifteen, twenty years from now.

There are plenty of movies I've seen over the past couple of decades that I truly enjoyed that I would right now have to be reminded I saw.

And I don't want to say Netflix doesn't count. It's sort of its own relatively new category. It's not quite just stopping to watch something because it's on FX on a Sunday afternoon (I watched all five original Planet of the Apes movies in a row that way once. I would never decide to do that), but it's also not necessarily getting an itch to see something either.
    Netflix absolutely should count as rewatch, if you're putting it on with Netflix I'm not sure why that would be different.

I have watched GOTG 1 about a dozen times since I saw it in the theater. I can't see that movie ever getting old. Ditto Civil War, Winter Soldier, Infinity War/Endgame. Homecoming is close to that territory for me as well and I could see FFH the same. So, for me, it will be lasting. Maybe when Disney streaming comes out we'll find out if you're right,

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Y'know...I'm reading stuff like this about about both Marvel and DC movies and I gotta ask, as comic fans, do you folks not realize how good you have it right now?

I mean to be blunt a lot of you sound outright spoiled.
    I'm a movie fan too. If they pared back on these so we got one a year, but they were all classics, I'd take that over what we have now.

Frankly, MCU is a bit of an obligation these days. It's like we're adults now, but have gotten trapped back in our childhood dilemma of having to keep up with what our friends are enjoying, entertainment-wise. Can't see Spider-Man if you haven't seen Endgame, but that's still in the theater. And have to watch Infinity War before you watch that. Now you're three movies back and everyone else has to wait until you're not around to discuss any of them.

Frankly, it's started to feel like homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Netflix absolutely should count as rewatch, if you're putting it on with Netflix I'm not sure why that would be different.
    I was putting it in a middle category. Just stopping because something is on FX, as an example, it passive. It's less a choice to watch the movie again than it is a choice that this is good enough to pass the time now.

Netflix, you do choose to watch more or less, but how many of those are, "wanna watch something" followed by fifteen minutes of scrolling before you finally go ,"screw it, let's watch Guardians 2 again"?

BANNED

I was putting it in a middle category. Just stopping because something is on FX, as an example, it passive. It's less a choice to watch the movie again than it is a choice that this is good enough to pass the time now.

Netflix, you do choose to watch more or less, but how many of those are, "wanna watch something" followed by fifteen minutes of scrolling before you finally go ,"screw it, let's watch Guardians 2 again"?
    Is that different than someone flipping through their DVD/BD book?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Is that different than someone flipping through their DVD/BD book?
    Streaming selections dwarf most people's owned media collections.

As I said, it's sort of its own, relatively new, category. I don't know how to consider it. It's low effort, but not stopping-on-a=broadcast level.

Think the question of rewatching is getting taken more specifically than I intended.

I'd wager that more people decide to put Superman: the Movie on each year, even if they have to borrow it, buy it, rent it, get it back from their friend who never returns stuff, than decide to put on most of the MCU movies.

The Marvel movies are no doubt overrated and get way too much love than they deserve with the exceptions of the Fox and Sony Marvel movies as if Dark Phoenix was any indication. I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth, the dumb humor would get way too much, they don't faithfully follow the source materials like changing a character's race/gender/age, and the storylines would end up being a convoluted mess as there would be way too much going on. It's basically dumb fun for the general movie audiences who don't read much comics. Also, I'm still not comfortable with the whole Disney thing as I still think it's a strange marriage. After all the phases are all said and done, then what? Reboots for both the FF and the X-Men? I think they already had their day in the sun and should move on to a new franchise whatever that may be. Just shows it's not for everybody and if you feel you can't follow these movies if they're not gonna be mostly faithful, it's not worth the time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I sure as hell have no love for those awful Thor movies, that's for sure.

Humor should be a sword, not a boulder moved around aimlessly by a drunk cave man.
    My man! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The obvious answer to the title question is: Yes. Someone hates them. There are plenty of people who hate them. You could ask the reverse question: Is there anyone who loves them? Yes. Plenty of people. It's ironic that I finally watched Spiderman: Homecoming just before I read this because spoilers:
    The Vulture has real motives for what he does to the point that I am not entirely sure I consider him the villain and think he may be right that Stark, like any rich guy, doesn't even think about the fact that he's destroying other people's livelihoods by just taking over and I wish that had been explored more or that he had been confronted with it. There was also the fact that Spiderman comes across like, well, Spiderman. Where Iron-Man, Batman and now even Superman in the movies kill people and IM and BM seem to do it without even a thought or a questioning of it, Spider-Man saves his villain even at the risk of exposure. And, again, is Adrian Toomes really even the villain?
    end of spoilers

I sincerely hope that what I said in spoilers does become a new/ old direction for the Marvel heroes on the big screen. But they have their popcorn elements and their more meaningful elements and, yes, I know, the jokes. But they seem to work for most people and temper the drama just right a lot of the time. Not in Ragnarok obviously but most of the time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Of course there are people who hate the MCU that's a silly question to ask. Just on this forum I can think of two posters off the top of my head who literaly hate every MCU movie ever but continue to watch them and them comment how it's another awful MCU movie when a new one comes out.

Another thing I find silly is the constant talking point of people who passionately hate the MCU that the masses who love them are wrong. We are brainwashed and just think they are good movie but it's a trick. Marketing and some magic Marvel formula twist are brains and make us think the movies are soemthing more then they are. Instead of just accepting the truth that for whatever reason these movie arent for you. You can complain the comedy is objectively bad when way more people will argue its not. The CGI is awful but way more people think its great(Yes I've seen some bad CGI in the MCU but the good outways the bad by alot compared to some other big franchises. Just saw Far From Home and it was beautiful looking move), that they are unfaithful adaptions but one of the biggest praises about the MCU is how they capture the essence of they're characters for these adaption. I can keep going but the point is Yes people hate it. Probaly way more people then you think. Which is fine they arent for you they're are plenty other movies out there too watch. But most of the complaints about these movie are presented as objective truths and the masses would disagree.

I really dont see how this thread can be beneficial to any real conversation just change the title to People who hate the MCU. And then let people who dislike the MCU voice theyrr opinion about stuff with like minded members without people ganging up on them. But I'm pretty sure they'res a Reddit somewhere for that exact thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always find it odd when fans of Marvel movies complain about the CGI in movies from other studios. I don't usually notice CGI (and it's kind of the low hanging fruit of movie criticism), but the CGI is the thing in Marvel movies that's the most perplexing to me. It looks like the movie has cut to an animation sequence or a video game. And I wonder if that's intentional. Like maybe it's become part of the aesthetic which would explain why Marvel fans don't notice it anymore.
    I do notice the CGI are perplexed in Marvel movies. it's done on intention. I will not personally favor that style if I was a director. I always wanted Avengers to have a night battle, after Endgame I wish they had stuck to day time. the night battle in Endgame felt like an animation sequence, that doesn't help the maturity argument of MCU.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-10-2019 at 04:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Y'know...I'm reading stuff like this about about both Marvel and DC movies and I gotta ask, as comic fans, do you folks not realize how good you have it right now?

I mean to be blunt a lot of you sound outright spoiled.
    That cracked me up, and you are damn right. I had to see Spider-Man the Tv Show or Dr. Strange TV Movie and so on...and i did know despite my young age that it was bad...had tears in my eyes when i saw the first trailer of Tobey Magguires Spider-Man

Streaming selections dwarf most people's owned media collections.

As I said, it's sort of its own, relatively new, category. I don't know how to consider it. It's low effort, but not stopping-on-a=broadcast level.

Think the question of rewatching is getting taken more specifically than I intended.

I'd wager that more people decide to put Superman: the Movie on each year, even if they have to borrow it, buy it, rent it, get it back from their friend who never returns stuff, than decide to put on most of the MCU movies.
    I feel this is impossibly hard to qualify, especially given the nature of ongoing story structure in MCU. We even see this when new Marvel Movies come out that the previous film (whether if it's still in theaters or netflix) sees a spike in numbers.

It might oh this movie is so great I have to re-see it, it might be 'oh there was a cameo here that I need a refresher on or it might be', or 'I liked that character in x movie, but didn't see his/her y movie I'll check it out.' but it does happen.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Of course there are people who hate the MCU that's a silly question to ask.
    On this forum it may seem like a silly question, but given how Marvel movies are received when they come out and how they do at the box office, one could think that they're universally loved. The various movie fan/critic sites on youtube that I watch all seem to love the MCU unabashedly--they couldn't be more pro-Marvel/Disney if they were being paid to be. In a world where everyone loves the Marvel movies, someone who doesn't is likely to question their own response and wonder if they should be loving them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On this forum it may seem like a silly question, but given how Marvel movies are received when they come out and how they do at the box office, one could think that they're universally loved
    They are appreciated for what they are, Hollywood pop-corn movies. That's what people are expecting from them, nothing more really, and that's what Disney delivers. (in a very efficient manner, commercially speaking)

I don't think it really says a hell lot about how much the Marvel and Disney brands are "loved" but it does say something about the good reputation Disney has built to itself when it comes to action movies, each new movie surfing on the success of the previous one.