Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sorry, still don't see why it didn't work in Endgame.
    Are we allowed to spoil Endgame on this thread? To be vague, it didn't work because of what thanos said to him first. the exchange was cliche. the captain marvel and peter exchange was worse though.It was Disney-writing at the worst. Disney portrays spiderman as a child in need. Raimi took a mature approach with a teen spiderman.

The Spiderman as we knew him is more like a DC character ever since Tom Holland became Spiderman. Pixar Spiderman is unrealistic.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-than-a-Marvel

Disney needs to stop remoulding Spiderman into something he is not. It will only stair more hate to those who already hate their movies.

Disco lasted for more than a decade and the Western film genre even longer. We all know there are cycles to these things. In fact the age of the MCU actually proves my point the MCU has failed to produce a substantial legacy. The Dark Knight is the same age as the MCU and is still memed about today, its still a film people watch and talk about to this day. The MCU has really only been able to obtain the same cultural impact that TDK has very recently, with Infinity War and Black Panther and that is a decade after the TDK and we still don't know the lasting power of these films.

Marvel studios is what obtains the impact. Most of all their individual movies is what cannot maintain any impact. It is easier to dismiss every mcu movie than to dimiss every batman movie since Batman as a film series are different from the other. There is no ''disney formula'' for Batman. TDK does not need to be tied to any batman series to be a standout or be remembered.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.

BANNED

Black Panther will be the only MCU movie that memorable

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That being said, what the MCU has done has never been done before. Building an entire universe where everything is connected and getting fans to get so invested in this that they come back to watch each movie to see the next chapter is no small feat.
    I would point out that Star Trek did that long before the MCU was invented and not only did it with stronger cohesion between the film and TV installments, but is still doing it with no real end in sight. Granted, Star Trek is a TV franchise first and foremost and the MCU is arguably more mainstream now with more consistent success and more interconnected storytelling, so even money on which did it better. I will agree that the MCU has popularized it, but I think there's a case to be made that they refined and perfected an already existing idea that was very successfully utilized by others before.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Are we allowed to spoil Endgame on this thread? To be vague, it didn't work because of what thanos said to him first. the exchange was cliche.
    Funny, I found the context to be the reason that it did work (kind of like how "I'm Batman" only works when set up right, the way).

the captain marvel and peter exchange was worse though. It was Disney-writing at the worst.
    Can't say I see where you're coming from there.

Disney portrays spiderman as a child in need.
    It's pretty consistent with how the big league heroes treated teen Spidey in the old ASM and Ultimate issues; the kid's a street-level hero still learning the ropes. Besides, it would make sense in context that he'd not be the most powerful character on the battlefield, given that he's still very inexperienced, not a solider, and does have enemies here who outclass him.

Raimi took a mature approach with a teen spiderman.

Different story, different focus, and not even a comparable situation (unlike, say civilian moments from Homecoming).

The Spiderman as we knew him is more like a DC character ever since Tom Holland became Spiderman.
    I don't see it. In fact, Holland seems a lot more Marvel then most of the other MCU characters (except maybe Ant-Man; that cast take the cake on that).

Pixar Spiderman is unrealistic.
    That's what the character has always been, judging by the source material.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-than-a-Marvel

Disney needs to stop remoulding Spiderman into something he is not. It will only stair more hate to those who already hate their movies.
    From my experience, Tom Holland is very well-liked as the character and the latest movie has been getting very good word of mouth in my neck of the woods. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the series is going to be fine on its current trajectory.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny, I found the context to be the reason that it did work (kind of like how "I'm Batman" only works when set up right, the way). .
    Different taste for everyone. I personally don't like the cheesy dialogue of MCU movies.

It's pretty consistent with how the big league heroes treated teen Spidey in the old ASM and Ultimate issues; the kid's a street-level hero still learning the ropes. Besides, it would make sense in context that he'd not be the most powerful character on the battlefield, given that he's still very inexperienced, not a solider, and does have enemies here who outclass him.
    It's not consistent at all. Batman has no super powers but gods in DC still fear, respect and treat him as an equal. that is the same with spiderman in marvel. MCU clearly does not understand spiderman.

When Spiderman is in the big leagues, he comes off as very cynical in the comics, mocking the other heroes for not understanding that ''with great power comes great responsibility''. A theme MCU has never addressed in their movies as they spend more time trying to make him IronMan than Spiderman.

That's what the character has always been, judging by the source material.
    No. The source material does not make peter look like a pixar character. if he is so much like a Pixar character, why didn't the raimi movies and his animations portray him as such?

From my experience, Tom Holland is very well-liked as the character and the latest movie has
    We must be experiencing things differently.Garfield seem to be getting the second spot for best spiderman after Tobey. Most people's problem with Holland is that he is more Iron boy than Spiderman.

been getting very good word of mouth in my neck of the woods.
    We are not in the Aristotle era anymore of the Raimi films, I doubt any MCU movie would ever get good word of mouth back then. word of mouth is meaningless for movies today.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the series is going to be fine on its current trajectory.

sony is set to take Spiderman back if FFH does not make over a billion. I think it would but I do think Sony at some point will remove him from the MCU.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Black Panther will be the only MCU movie that memorable
    What about the Captain America movies?

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    What about the Captain America movies?
    I think important is better to use than memorable. MCU has only 3 important films

Iron Man 1

The Avengers

The Winter Solider.

Black Panther can make the list but not for the same reasons as the other 3.

Iron Man 1 was the first movie in the MCU

The Avengers was the first time we saw a well executed crossover film about comics.

The Winter Solider is the most mature moment in MCU.

I think important is better to use than memorable. MCU has only 3 important films

Iron Man 1

The Avengers

The Winter Solider.

Black Panther can make the list but not for the same reasons as the other 3.

Iron Man 1 was the first movie in the MCU

The Avengers was the first time we saw a well executed crossover film about comics.

The Winter Solider is the most mature moment in MCU.
    Winter Soldier also doesn't overuse humor - the biggest LOL moment was Stan Lee's cameo, and that is right before the third act really gets underway, so it's the perfect moment (IMO) to use a joke to reset the mood before everything goes boom.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Another problem with the MCU it is hard to distinguish between the movies, they are all the same. They all have the same tone and they all have become comedies. It would be nice to have some as comedies and some as straight serious dramas. It would’ve been nice if they was a heavy romance. The MCU though most popular franchise, it’s also the most childish in tone. Lots of MCU fans put down the X-men franchise, they did good and bad things, but at least that franchise took chances.

Extraordinary Member

Another problem with the MCU it is hard to distinguish between the movies, they are all the same. They all have the same tone and they all have become comedies. It would be nice to have some as comedies and some as straight serious dramas. It would’ve been nice if they was a heavy romance. The MCU though most popular franchise, it’s also the most childish in tone. Lots of MCU fans put down the X-men franchise, they did good and bad things, but at least that franchise took chances.
    Disagree that the tone is all the same. The tones vary Ragnarok was very different from BP etc.

Astonishing Member

Lots of MCU fans put down the X-men franchise, they did good and bad things, but at least that franchise took chances.
    More like lots of X-Men fans of the core characters(Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty, basically anyone not Wolverine, Xavier, Mystique, Magneto) put down the Fox universe which I don't blame them at all.

Niffleheim

MCU movies are engineered not to be hated and these comes from a person who dislikes or is indifferent to almost all of the characters that have been in all their movies.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.

BANNED

All the other present major franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, XMen, DCEU, Jurassic World etc..) all has an important underlying message. The MCU has no message, it’s a dumb down franchise, but maybe that’s why it’s so popular.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-14-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    More like lots of X-Men fans of the core characters(Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty, basically anyone not Wolverine, Xavier, Mystique, Magneto) put down the Fox universe which I don't blame them at all.
    This, the X-Men took zero chances when it comes to moving the camera off of the favorites - even a fan favorite character like Quicksilver was unable to move the camera away from the waangst-fest between Xavier and Magneto long enough to show any depth.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Different taste for everyone. I personally don't like the cheesy dialogue of MCU movies.
    You do you.

It's not consistent at all. Batman has no super powers but gods in DC still fear, respect and treat him as an equal.
    What does Batman got to do with anything? Completely different character.

that is the same with spiderman in marvel. MCU clearly does not understand spiderman.
    Funny, I remember how when Spidey first met the Avengers, they were extremely mistrustful of him, much like a lot of the established heroes at the time; here's this guy who wanders around in a creepy costume (we know better, but think "in-universe") who lurks and slinks around and beats people up while mocking them. On top of all that, the newspapers report him to be a bad guy. The MCU, while kinder to him, is pretty much in line that he still hasn't earned his stripes and kudos from the big leaguers yet.

Besides, you do need to forget about 616; the MCU Spidey movies are mostly based on the Ultimate comics, where the superhero community actually does regard him as an annoyance, Iron Man being a noted exception.

When Spiderman is in the big leagues, he comes off as very cynical in the comics, mocking the other heroes for not understanding that ''with great power comes great responsibility''. A theme MCU has never addressed in their movies as they spend more time trying to make him IronMan than Spiderman.
    Of course, Spidey was only in the big leagues for a two and a fraction of a film. The rest of the movies have done a lot with him doing superhero stuff which infringes on his personal life and all that, you know, Spidey 101.

No. The source material does not make peter look like a pixar character. if he is so much like a Pixar character, why didn't the raimi movies and his animations portray him as such?
    They did.

We must be experiencing things differently.Garfield seem to be getting the second spot for best spiderman after Tobey. Most people's problem with Holland is that he is more Iron boy than Spiderman.
    Weird, my understanding was that Maguire was considered a good Peter Parker but not as funny as Spider-Man should be (although early comics Spidey wasn't constantly cracking jokes either and always has shut up when things get serious). Garfield was a good funny Spider-Man but a weak Peter Parker. Holland was the best of both worlds, even if not as iconic as Maguire. Heck, from my experience, even people who thought the MCU Spidey movies were weak generally thought Holland's performance was one of the good parts.

We are not in the Aristotle era anymore of the Raimi films, I doubt any MCU movie would ever get good word of mouth back then. word of mouth is meaningless for movies today.
    Kinda hard to prove both. Heck, the Raimi movies have more in common with the MCU then the old X-Men, Nolan Batman movies, first few DCEU, and other "serious" versions of the superhero genre.

sony is set to take Spiderman back if FFH does not make over a billion.
    Where's that written?

I think it would but I do think Sony at some point will remove him from the MCU.
    Maybe, but that depends on what their future plans are and how profitable a deal extension would be.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

The MCU doesn’t push the envelope, which is why these movies won’t be that memorable.