Thread: Superman #13

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Superman #13

Preview

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is the rare preview where can't fully resist, so I glance without reading. I finally have a day off to get these and also read Lois
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

So Bendis dialogue tics with weird grammar and lack of a reveal aside, I quite liked this flashback. It's an enhanced version of the classic origin that feels more natural than the nature of this retcon would have you think. We're also getting the best Peterson has done on the series yet. We've drifted quite a bit away from where I thought we were heading with Jor El, and that's more interesting. Though it would also be cool if Jor really was smug and manipulative enough to justify how they all treat him. I can't say that Clark's "guilty until proven innocent" stance isn't intentionally working toward a specific resolution. Speaking of mood and intention, I didn't get why Lara was basically smiling the whole issue but I really dig the infusion of humor in the tense conversations.

Lex doesn't make sense unless you follow Snyder but oh well. I'm fine with things that seems random but offer more if you really want.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

The REAL SHOCKING TRUTH about krypton... Is that you will have to wait until next issue.

I am way past ready for this arc to end. It's not that I didn't like the issue but we are up to 13 issues of circling round the same question with no answer and little in between.
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 07-10-2019 at 05:11 AM.

This was basically a fill in issue, which I agree is getting very old at this point. spoilers:
    There was really nothing in the way of revelations for Jor El or The Circle here other than he's not apparently part of the inner group and seemed to be just their science officer or something, though a couple of things seem to detract from the Rogol Zaar is an El theory. Jor El doesn't react when he's mentioned really, not in the sense you'd think that he would if it was his son or nephew and over in Supergirl - Gandelo mentions Zaar is part of a "mongrel race" which implies at some point there were more than one of his kind. Other than that, this was kind of a placeholder.

Although the timing of this was odd, since it doesn't place it before or after Zaar goes to the Circle in Man of Steel really. Presumably, the Green Lantern that scanned the core would have found the device Zaar had since the Guardian wasn't in on the destruction and went to Zaar to find out if he was behind it. You'd think it would have to have happened after that, since Jor El was aware Krypton was unstable. I'm thinking that the whole thing is going to end up somewhere along the lines of Krypton was unstable and going to explode anyways and Zaar may have at best, sped up the process.

The Lois/Luthor thing also wasn't very relavatory. It's a gift that he trusts "only her" with. Which is itself interesting. Of course, we have no idea what it is. I'm thinking it's some sort of information or secrets he'd amassed. Like Luthor's gift is that he's going be the ultimate confidential source or something. No indication it was a cosmic rest for her or her family like some theorized. At least not yet.
    end of spoilers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    The REAL SHOCKING TRUTH about krypton... Is that you will have to wait until next issue.

I am way past ready for this arc to end. It's not that I didn't like the issue but we are up to 13 issues of circling round the same question with no answer and little in between.
    I really agree with you. I read the issue last night after the Rugby League State of Origin and wondered if I’d missed something. This arc has been way too long.

I’m living Ivan Reis’ art work though.