Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superman #13

Default Superman #13

Preview

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is the rare preview where can't fully resist, so I glance without reading. I finally have a day off to get these and also read Lois
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

So Bendis dialogue tics with weird grammar and lack of a reveal aside, I quite liked this flashback. It's an enhanced version of the classic origin that feels more natural than the nature of this retcon would have you think. We're also getting the best Peterson has done on the series yet. We've drifted quite a bit away from where I thought we were heading with Jor El, and that's more interesting. Though it would also be cool if Jor really was smug and manipulative enough to justify how they all treat him. I can't say that Clark's "guilty until proven innocent" stance isn't intentionally working toward a specific resolution. Speaking of mood and intention, I didn't get why Lara was basically smiling the whole issue but I really dig the infusion of humor in the tense conversations.

Lex doesn't make sense unless you follow Snyder but oh well. I'm fine with things that seems random but offer more if you really want.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

The REAL SHOCKING TRUTH about krypton... Is that you will have to wait until next issue.

I am way past ready for this arc to end. It's not that I didn't like the issue but we are up to 13 issues of circling round the same question with no answer and little in between.
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 07-10-2019 at 05:11 AM.

This was basically a fill in issue, which I agree is getting very old at this point. spoilers:
    There was really nothing in the way of revelations for Jor El or The Circle here other than he's not apparently part of the inner group and seemed to be just their science officer or something, though a couple of things seem to detract from the Rogol Zaar is an El theory. Jor El doesn't react when he's mentioned really, not in the sense you'd think that he would if it was his son or nephew and over in Supergirl - Gandelo mentions Zaar is part of a "mongrel race" which implies at some point there were more than one of his kind. Other than that, this was kind of a placeholder.

Although the timing of this was odd, since it doesn't place it before or after Zaar goes to the Circle in Man of Steel really. Presumably, the Green Lantern that scanned the core would have found the device Zaar had since the Guardian wasn't in on the destruction and went to Zaar to find out if he was behind it. You'd think it would have to have happened after that, since Jor El was aware Krypton was unstable. I'm thinking that the whole thing is going to end up somewhere along the lines of Krypton was unstable and going to explode anyways and Zaar may have at best, sped up the process.

The Lois/Luthor thing also wasn't very relavatory. It's a gift that he trusts "only her" with. Which is itself interesting. Of course, we have no idea what it is. I'm thinking it's some sort of information or secrets he'd amassed. Like Luthor's gift is that he's going be the ultimate confidential source or something. No indication it was a cosmic rest for her or her family like some theorized. At least not yet.
    end of spoilers

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This was basically a fill in issue, which I agree is getting very old at this point. spoilers:
    There was really nothing in the way of revelations for Jor El or The Circle here other than he's not apparently part of the inner group and seemed to be just their science officer or something, though a couple of things seem to detract from the Rogol Zaar is an El theory. Jor El doesn't react when he's mentioned really, not in the sense you'd think that he would if it was his son or nephew and over in Supergirl - Gandelo mentions Zaar is part of a "mongrel race" which implies at some point there were more than one of his kind. Other than that, this was kind of a placeholder.

Although the timing of this was odd, since it doesn't place it before or after Zaar goes to the Circle in Man of Steel really. Presumably, the Green Lantern that scanned the core would have found the device Zaar had since the Guardian wasn't in on the destruction and went to Zaar to find out if he was behind it. You'd think it would have to have happened after that, since Jor El was aware Krypton was unstable. I'm thinking that the whole thing is going to end up somewhere along the lines of Krypton was unstable and going to explode anyways and Zaar may have at best, sped up the process.

The Lois/Luthor thing also wasn't very relavatory. It's a gift that he trusts "only her" with. Which is itself interesting. Of course, we have no idea what it is. I'm thinking it's some sort of information or secrets he'd amassed. Like Luthor's gift is that he's going be the ultimate confidential source or something. No indication it was a cosmic rest for her or her family like some theorized. At least not yet.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    With respect to the Lois gift thing--and I've yet to read the issue-- but I kind of like the idea that he actually isn't trying to use her to harm Superman because on some level, he's still human enough to want to do it himself. Hate the idea of Lex becoming half alien, but what can you do.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

So Space Judiasm is a thing in the DCU. Can we reasonably declare that an apotheosis for Bendis's career?
    Buh-bye

Yeah nothing really happened other than learning that Jor-El was a member of the Circle at one point. It was an alright issue, but next issue really needs to wrap everything up and it looks like we’re going to get a typical Bendis ending where everything just... ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    spoilers:
    With respect to the Lois gift thing--and I've yet to read the issue-- but I kind of like the idea that he actually isn't trying to use her to harm Superman because on some level, he's still human enough to want to do it himself. Hate the idea of Lex becoming half alien, but what can you do.
    end of spoilers
    Lex’s hatred for aliens has always been a bit of a smokescreen. He’s worked with Brainiac and Sinestro after all, so he’s not “that” xenophobic. And Lex has always craved power over all else, during 52 the moment Lex learns he can get powers he immediately amps himself up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    So Space Judiasm is a thing in the DCU. Can we reasonably declare that an apotheosis for Bendis's career?
    I was amused by that myself.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think there's a distinct difference between getting powers and splicing alien DNA and no longer being human. I just don't see Lex doing that in any stretch. I wouldn't say he's a xenophobe at all, actually. I think his hatred of Superman is from how he invalidates Lex.

When he ceases to be human is when he admits that he wasn't good enough before. It's not a tool, or some augmentation to his core, but a flat out upgrade over Lex Luthor. I just can't see his ego sustaining that. I could be off base, but there are some pills Luthor can't swallow and "you have a limit because you're human" is top of the list in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I could see it being spoilers:
    information that may indirectly hurt Superman in some fashion. Something akin to telling the world the heroes were responsible for breaking the multiverse (but I thought he already did that in the Year of the Villain story? I'm still kinda at a loss as to where this is going. You know it's not going to be a real heal turn for Lois, Rucka's book and Bendis' general direction with her doesn't work with Lois turning towards Doom here. But Luthor muddying up the water a bit could make some sense.

But I think the more likely thing is it being some sort of info dump from Luthor that's like the ultimate scoop for Lois. Maybe like his manifesto and the information on how humans and martians were separate. But again, I think all that got dumped in YotV.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

least interesting issue yet imo, excited for the teasing to end and we can move on

Mighty Member

I feel like he's trying to make the backstory of Krypton into an allegory for Jewish plight as well. He did talk a lot about the jewish origins of the character back when he got the job, so it seems that is very much on his mind as he writes this.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

It's a profoundly weird thing, if that wasn't supposed to be an earth skyfather. As an addition to the Krypton mythos it's hilarious and a definitive bullet point in summarizing the writing of Bendis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah nothing really happened other than learning that Jor-El was a member of the Circle at one point. It was an alright issue, but next issue really needs to wrap everything up and it looks like we’re going to get a typical Bendis ending where everything just... ends.

Lex’s hatred for aliens has always been a bit of a smokescreen. He’s worked with Brainiac and Sinestro after all, so he’s not “that” xenophobic. And Lex has always craved power over all else, during 52 the moment Lex learns he can get powers he immediately amps himself up.

I was amused by that myself.
    Yeah it occurs to me that Lex doesn't hate Superman because of the Super ... he hates him because he's a better Man than Lex.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com