Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Do you prefer seeing the DC heroes fighting familiar old villains or new ones?

Overall, do you prefer seeing the DC superheroes fighting their familiar old foes from years past, or would you like to see them fighting more entirely new villains?

I feel that DC doesn't create new villains with as much frequency as it did in earlier eras, opting more often to refurbish and reuse old ones. Occasionally, we get new ones, but not that often, and many of them don't stick around to become recurring villains in their own right.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Most new villains tend to be pretty lame anyways, so I prefer the classic villains.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I think it's difficult to come up with new villains with the gravitas of the classics. Just like newly created heroes they struggle to make any lasting impact.

Some of the Emotional Spectrum characters have been pretty good over the last decade (Atrocitus, Arkillo etc), but other than that they tend to fall a bit flat.

Classic baddies for me.

Astonishing Member

Healthy balance. But I tend to err on the side of new villains as they keep things from becoming cyclic or tired. I also like seeing new angles on old villains Scott Snyder just got done doing a really entertaining reinvention of the Riddler.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I feel that DC doesn't create new villains with as much frequency as it did in earlier eras, opting more often to refurbish and reuse old ones. Occasionally, we get new ones, but not that often, and many of them don't stick around to become recurring villains in their own right.
    Because of history creators don't want to create new original characters due to royalties, media rights and whatnot so they save them for their creator-owned works if they decide to work on those.
    BB

BANNED

With the New 52 I wouldn't mind seeing heroes switching villains around instead of fighting their usual villains.

Extraordinary Member

It depends; some rogues galleries are in desperate need of growth, others are in need of focusing on the players they have. For instance, adding new bad guys to Batman is a good idea because he has a strong foundation of villains to fall back on if the new ones fail. But most lower level heroes have strong potential in a few of their foes ignored for a creator's new model. For instance, Superboy has five different evil versions of himself. That's unnecessary. Consolidate some of that stuff and give him some characters to bounce off of in confrontations instead of punching bags with flat character.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I like newer enemies that don't just seem like throw-away characters. There's a fine balance to be struck. Villain's motives would become stale if heroes only fought the classic over and over again. It's best to mix it up.

Fantastic Member

I think the next crisis will blend old school with new school so we will see whole new cards

Quote Originally Posted by dantefrizzoli View Post
    I think the next crisis will blend old school with new school so we will see whole new cards
    That would be an excellent idea.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I like to see a mix of the two.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Most new villains tend to be pretty lame anyways, so I prefer the classic villains.

I feel similar. Out of every 10 villains that a hero faces, I'd like 9 of them to be familiar.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Because of history creators don't want to create new original characters due to royalties, media rights and whatnot so they save them for their creator-owned works if they decide to work on those.
    Agreed.

If I say I want a new angle on a classic villain, then I am going to see the same old eleven villains again and again. If I say I want new villains, I get lame creations that writers don't mind losing to corporate toy boxes.

Very few writers seem to be able to take third-rate villains like Johnny Warlock and Silken Spider and turn them into first rate threats! It's a shame...because it's the perfect combination of old and new. A fresh vision of an existing minor villain would be a treat.

If I must choose, I then choose usually lame new villains.

I like a mix of old and new. If I had to pick I would like to say new but as others have pointed out a number of new villains can often be lazy. So for consistencies sake I would say classic villains.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

I actually prefer to see old villains used in new ways. Don't get me wrong, I love new characters also--but it's interesting to see a good writer take a character like Sinestro, for example, and make him relevant and popular. I love the concept of the 'rogue's gallery', and it's great to see these old characters get fresh usage from time to time.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/