Default Dear DC Titans idea ?

I was thinking what could be done with the Titans and came up with an old concept.i'm a big fan of the LSH and the JLA the satellite years so I though maybe we could have a large group of heroes and they would operate similar how the satellite years JLA had done in the past.so I was thinking of a new name and came up with this.

Titans
    National Guard.

Roll Call could consist of

Troia
    Bumblebee
    Omen
    Frances Kane
    Mirage
    Raven
    Starfire
    Terra
    Vixen or Onyx
    Dove
    Nightwing
    Flash=wally
    Tempest
    Cyborg
    Beast Boy
    Herald
    Jericho
    Golden Eagle
    Red Star
    Green Lantern=kyle
    Lightray
    Hawk
    Thunder=gan
    Lightning=tavis

or add new characters.so what are your thoughts ?

I don't think a mega-cast is the way to go for the Titans. Too many characters end up as crowd filler and don't develop the interpersonal relationships people want from the Titans. By that token, they should try not to change the line-up for the Titans too often.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Big casts along those lines rarely work. Most of the characters end up being little more than window dressing. There isn't the space to develop them all properly.

'How do DC 'fix' the Titans?' is certainly a valid question. I honestly have no real answer to that beyond the usual 'find a stellar creative team for it'.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I was thinking what could be done with the Titans and came up with an old concept.i'm a big fan of the LSH and the JLA the satellite years so I though maybe we could have a large group of heroes and they would operate similar how the satellite years JLA had done in the past.so I was thinking of a new name and came up with this.

Titans
    National Guard.

Roll Call could consist of

Troia
    Bumblebee
    Omen
    Frances Kane
    Mirage
    Raven
    Starfire
    Terra
    Vixen or Onyx
    Dove
    Nightwing
    Flash=wally
    Tempest
    Cyborg
    Beast Boy
    Herald
    Jericho
    Golden Eagle
    Red Star
    Green Lantern=kyle
    Lightray
    Hawk
    Thunder=gan
    Lightning=tavis

or add new characters.so what are your thoughts ?
    Those i wanted to see join Teen Titans/Titans Pre-Flashpoint included Maya, Hardline, Aura, Freak, Klarion, Spark, Shining Knight/Ystina, Kid Slick, Sapphire, Terra/Atlee, Son of the Fallen, Hardrock, Split, Empress, Hawk/Sasha Martens, Dove/Wiley Wolverman, Blackbat/Cassandra Cain, Misfit, Stargirl, Toyman/Hiro Okamura, Black Alice, Cyclone, Traci 13, Zan, Jayna, Steel/Natasha Irons, Aqualad/Jackson Hyde Danny the Street, Firestorm/Jason Rusch, Impulse/Irey West, Maxine Baker/Animal Girl, Tefé Holland/Sprout, Red Inferno, Spitfire, Scream Queen, Frostbite, Monstergirl, Jakeem Thunder, Samosa/Green Lantern, Secret, White Lotus, Lightning/Jennifer Pierce, Mary Marvel, Dust Devil, Firebird, Darkfire, Crystallex, Mon-El, Amethyst, Tim Hunter, Catgirl and Superboy/Jon Kent but i suppose he's technically Post-Flashpoint. Those that died before they had a chance to join Elongated Kid, Gehenna, Fever, Windfall and Icarus. I love large casts but its hard on writers. Justice League Unlimited was one of my favorite shows so i would love a Titans Unlimited.
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 07-09-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: adds

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don't think a mega-cast is the way to go for the Titans. Too many characters end up as crowd filler and don't develop the interpersonal relationships people want from the Titans. By that token, they should try not to change the line-up for the Titans too often.
    I agree with you for the Titans. I always felt they (from the early NTT era) were a tighter team - except Wally, they all lived in the same city, none had solo books, etc. I quit reading (backissues) shortly after line-up change.

It did work in the satellite era for the JLA, IMO, though. They either split the team in two or not use all the characters for every story. And that worked for me, for them. Can't ignore any characters, and some do have strong relationships with each other. But they aren't going to get the kind of fleshing out they would in a book with a smaller cast of characters. I think using characters that are already strongly established (even if they don't have books of their own or never have) works better there.

I always liked that name, Titans. It's a pretty cool name for a team. Personnaly i would be fine with just Raven, Wally, Beast Boy, Starfire, GL Kyle and Troy.

Well, let's say one more, cause i like odd number. Beetle? Hell, i don't even know if he's still alive.

Astonishing Member

Fixing the Titans would require a whole bunch of (necessary)retooling for a lot of the characters involved. Also NO REHASHING OLD STORYLINES, TRY NEW THINGS WITH THE CHARACTERS !!!! Setting up a roster is the easy part, have multiple Titans teams with small casts of 5-9 members. Tim already has YJ and Damian has TT(though no writer has successfully convinced me that Damian should be leading anyone). Nightwing reestablishes the Titans and Cyborg sets up the Team Titans.

Titans- Nightwing, Starfire, Donna Troy, Roy Harper, Aqualad(Garth), Raven, Wally West, Ms. Martian and Kyle Rayner

Team Titans- Cyborg, Beast Boy, Terra, Blue Beetle, Aqualad(Kaldur), Lightning

At this point I'm of the opinion there should be no Titans. It's a struggle to realistically keep bringing these characters back together, and they just failed again even with an editorial-mandated direction post-No Justice. I'm fine w/ a Nightwing solo, Cyborg's graduation to the League, Wally... uh... whatever they'll have Wally doing going forward, and so forth. I'm fine with Donna carving out a larger role in Wonder Woman and Roy eventually coming back and popping up in Green Arrow. I'm fine if they want to use Beast Boy and Raven as mentors to the latest iteration of the Teen Titans. I'm fine with Starfire bouncing around the DCU in whatever role some writer wants to use her.

I'm down for a mini/maxi-series where they all come together for a specific case/reason/threat, but an ongoing team? As the years go by, I think the ship has sailed. You can only get the band back together to fight Trigon so many times.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

With the core Titans being a power copy of Justice League that DC don't take seriously because they have a very "hero vs villains, power vs power" mindset, they shouldn't promote them as superheroes who take on the same threat as Justice League since it will only put emphasis on their "lesser copy" image

Since the main attraction seems to be the character relationship, they should put more emphasis on that and not the superhero part. If they are the YA and Friends of heroes, then sell the book with that, not the "hero vs villain" part. Kinda like how Tomasi's Superman's main attraction is the family relationship. Let the fights, villains, and powers be the B plot.

That would require DC to understand that hero comics don't have to be about epic fights though

Other than that, I like the idea of Titans being the younger superheroes mentor. The NTT has been compared and had a crossover with X-Men. Being a trainer means there will be enough supporting cast and drama material that comes hand in hand with a family book.