Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    It was a Manga and TV series first, but yeah this one is pretty well known. Especially to obviously anyone in Japan, and any kid who grew up in the late 60's early 70s, who watched it on American TV.

Also pretty good breakdown here
    Gives a good History, gets to Disney's blatant obfuscation and how their cover up falls apart, yet also show it's not just all black and white, as there was allot more going on creatively then just "copy that". Which should also be recognized.

^^^Hey, that’s great stuff, thanks!
    That’s one toon that completely flew under my radar as a kid, so this has all been pretty interesting...

Now that's a fun rabbit hole to go down.
    Look out Jaxxon!

Star Hoppers (Marvel/Lucas' first expanded U tale), was a reworking of Magnificent Seven as a western in space, which in turn was a Western reworking of Seven Samurai.
    And then there was Battle Beyond the Stars!

Serji-X Arrogantus was Eli Wallach's Calvera redesigned as comic artist Sergio Arragones.

Further Galaxy Quest was a reworking of Magnificent Seven if they were actors mistaken for real Space heroes, which was somewhat a reworking of Three Amigos which is what if Magnificent Seven where three actors mistaken for three real Caballeros.
    And then A Bugs Life, which is the same story if they were all bugs...
    The pilot ep. of THE A-TEAM was essentially ‘the magnificent five’ (counting Amy Amanda Allen), right down to them protecting a Mexican village.
    They were of course, exactly as advertised, a group of badass Mercs. I do believe they altruistically waived their fee at the end though, it’s been years since I watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon

In the 1950s, Flash became an astronaut who travelled to other planets besides Mongo.[1] The long story of the Skorpi War takes Flash to other star systems, using starships that are faster than light.

In addition to Ming and his allies, Flash and his friends also fought several other villains, including Azura, the Witch Queen; Brukka, chieftain of the giants of Frigia;[1][9] the fascistic Red Sword organisation on Earth; and Brazor, the tyrannical usurper of Tropica.[1][10] After Raymond's tenure, later writers created new enemies for Flash to combat. Austin Briggs created Kang the Cruel, Ming's callous son.[1] Prince Polon, who had the power to shrink or enlarge living creatures, the unscrupulous Queen Rubia, and Pyron the Comet Master were among the antagonists introduced during Mac Raboy's run.[10] The Skorpi, a race of alien shape shifters who desired to conquer the galaxy, were recurring villains in both the Mac Raboy and Dan Barry stories.[1] The Skorpi space-fighter ace Baron Dak-Tula became a periodic nemesis of Flash in the late 1970s stories.

kang the conqueror and the skrull derived from FG?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Lev Gleason Publications had a character from Daredevil Comics named Nightro (August, 1941), who, despite being called "the streamlined Robin Hood," was surely based more on Dr. Mid-Nite (April, 1941).

Last edited by Electricmastro; 01-20-2020 at 12:15 AM.

Just watched the Hunger Games. And all I could think was man Battle Royale did this so much better.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Just watched the Hunger Games. And all I could think was .....
    ... The Running Man (with teens) ?
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-20-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Just watched the Hunger Games. And all I could think was man Battle Royale did this so much better.
    I don't think Collins swiped. She's given interviews about how she was channel-surfing, and jumped from a cheesy reality tv show to a news scene of combat from (I think) Syria. The contrast disturbed her and set the hunger games direction.

Should we go down the music rabbit-hole...

the Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony sample or full swipe?

Not that the Stones didn't "sample" what came before

That the Verve rather than just straight swiped the whole thing, claimed they just took a sample ..LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnRw8bXVbPI
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-06-2020 at 07:15 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

... The Running Man (with teens) ?
    Kind of a merger between The Running Man and The Long Walk.

As for the topic of this thread, practically everything we have seen or heard in our lives is derivative of something or another. How could it not be at this time and place? The presentation, though, can make it still new and interesting for us to appreciate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The trope and visual of the Iron-Mask is to conventional wide spread and goes quite a bit further back, historically and in fiction (sci-fi and fantasy) , to pretend it had to have stemmed from Doom.

Can.cover - https://i.imgur.com/EOgUgTw.jpg

Kirby himself had already used it elsewhere - https://i.imgur.com/ucvCFYk.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-24-2020 at 06:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

The trope and visual of the Iron-Mask is to conventional wide spread and goes quite a bit further back, historically and in fiction, to pretend it had to have stemmed from Doom.

It's not solely about the iron mask, it's with a hooded cloak and the fact he's a mad scientist with a campy demeanour. All of that is classic Dr. Doom.

Tom strong was ment to be a doc savage nod but with the butler got to close to the real comic and had to pay the doc savage owners "licence rights!" for the comic!

Marvel got sued for this comic by Harvey comics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Marvel also did a comic about a happy little ghost that wants to be friends.

[IMG][/IMG]

Captain America? Marvel stole that idea from Pep Comics' Shield. Even Captain America's original shield has the same triangular shape as the chest emblem of the Shield.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Captain America? Marvel stole that idea from Pep Comics' Shield. Even Captain America's original shield has the same triangular shape as the chest emblem of the Shield.
    Simon said they had to change Cap's shield because of the ruckus Pep's publishers kicked up. Ironic how they forced Timely to change a rival's gimmick to something that became iconic.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    ...As for the topic of this thread, practically everything we have seen or heard in our lives is derivative of something or another. How could it not be at this time and place? The presentation, though, can make it still new and interesting for us to appreciate.
    Absolutely! Nonetheless, doing the geneolgy is fun.