Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Dude. You totally stole that...

Superhero comics have borrowed A Lot. Hell, Superman swiped from at least three sources.

So what are some of the most obvious homages?

I give you the odd coincidence between Kirby's Destroyer

images.jpg

and The Day The Earth Stood Still's Gort.

sci-fi_stats_gort_the_robot.jpg

Though Kirby was a magnet for cultural reference in his work, I doubt that Gort was the inspiration for the Destroyer. More likely the Golum or other myths.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 07-10-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

When I look at the Destroyer, I'm inclined to think suits of armor from antiquity as being more an influence than Gort.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Superhero comics have borrowed A Lot. Hell, Superman swiped from at least three sources.
    As did Batman....

Jerry Siegel: "I loved The Mark of Zorro, and I'm sure that had some influence on me." ..."When writing the script, I had Douglass Fairbanks very much in mind in the athletic stunts that he did too, so the influence of Douglass Fairbanks was not only in the art but in the visual action."

Joe Shuster - "I was a great fan of Douglas Fairbanks, and so was Jerry and I tried to use his stance, the way Douglass Fairbanks looked, ...with his hands on his hips, in Robin Hood and Mark of Zorro, in all those he had those marvelous attitude..." " [His costume] was inspired by the costume pictures that Fairbanks did: they greatly influenced us. He did The Mark of Zorro, and Robin Hood, and a marvelous one called The Black Pirate - Fairbanks would swing on ropes very much like Superman flying... the feeling of action as he was flying or jumping or leaping - a flowing cape would give it movement.

Bill Finger - "Batman was a combination of Douglas Fairbanks [who played Zorro] and Sherlock Holmes."

Bob Kane -"Zorro’s use of a mask to conceal his identity as Don Diego gave me the idea of giving Batman a secret identity…Bruce Wayne would be a man of means who put on a façade of being effete. Zorro rode a black horse called Tornado and would enter a cave and exit from a grandfather clock in the living room. The bat-cave was inspired by this cave in Zorro. I didn't want Batman to be a Superhero with superpowers…So I made Batman an ordinary human being; he is just an athlete who has the physical prowess of Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., who was my all-time favorite hero in the movies.”

More like inspired, not that it's a secret or anything since DC has even worked Zorro into his origin.
    Of course the costume is more Phantom derivative, and Kane and Finger just completely swiped a Shadow story, and just worked their "new" character into it.
    They really just took from the best of what was out there.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Edit:
    Cue someone citing it obviously predates that, yeah no kidding it was a common saying. You totally missed the point.
    In other news young man moving to the big city to become reporter also predates it, wow no kidding, so what!?.
    Guess what, Stan Lee didn't invent these things, and first apply them to Superheroes, he borrowed too, get over it LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Wikipedia:
    The origins of the phrase pre-date its use in Spider-Man, though its exact origins are unknown. In a "Plan de travail, de surveillance et de correspondance, proposé par le Comité de Salut Public aux Représentans du Peuple, députés prés des Armées de la République" of the French National Convention in 1793,[9] we can find a sentence about the representatives saying "ils doivent envisager qu'une grande responsabilité est la suite inséparable d'un grand pouvoir", which could translate by "they must contemplate that a great responsibility is inseparable byproduct from a great power." In 1817, British Member of Parliament William Lamb is recorded saying, "the possession of great power necessarily implies great responsibility."[10] In 1906, Under-Secretary of the Colonial Office Winston Churchill said, "Where there is great power there is great responsibility", even indicating that it was already a cultural maxim invoked toward government at the time.[11][12][13]
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

“From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked” (Luke 12:48)

It's not exactly a novel sentiment.

And also that one time, . .... Gilgamesh and sidekick Enkidu pursued the heroes quest.
    I mean are people just determined to totally take the fun and spirit out of the thread!?
    LOL!

Can we mention Kirby's the Pact influence on Star Wars?
    Or Jordan the young cocky pilot, new recruit into the space knights vs. the fallen to darkness champion of the weapon-of-light with the Sinister name?

without someone pointing out the obvious that every trope goes back further? No kidding LOL!

Wait I think I found George Lucas' old copies of Green Lantern LOL!

Color coded weapon of light...

Confesses he once wore that uniform of the space knights, , and taunts (the young star pilot) to use his weapon of light to strike him, down....

The old wise, diminutive master explains the back story of once their greatest champions fall to darkness.

Of course golden age GL is reworked Aladin, and Silver age the Lensmen.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-09-2020 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

So what are some of the most obvious homages?

I give you the odd coincidence between Kirby's Destroyer

images.jpg

and The Day The Earth Stood Still's Gort.

sci-fi_stats_gort_the_robot.jpg
    Great thread idea!

I have often noticed things that were "borrowed" as original ideas.

An old movie Wasp Woman seems to have elements that were used for Janet van Dyne, The Wasp.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Though Kirby was a magnet for cultural reference in his work, I doubt that Gort was the inspiration for the Destroyer. More likely the Golum or other myths.
    I agree. IIRC there was a storyteller in his family. Don't recall if it was his mother or some other relative, that would pass along these stories from "the old country".

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And also that one time, . .... Gilgamesh and sidekick Enkidu pursued the heroes quest.
    I mean are people just determined to totally take the fun and spirit out of the thread!?
    LOL!

Can we mention Kirby's the Pact influence on Star Wars?
    Or Jordan vs. fallen champion of the weapon-of-light Sinestro?

without someone pointing out the obvious that every trope goes back further? No kidding LOL!

Wait I think I found George Lucas' old copy of Green Lantern LOL!

Confess he once wore that uniform, and taunts (the young pilot) to use his weapon of light to strike him, down....

The old wise, diminutive master explains the back story....
    Lucas never denied how much comics influenced Star Wars. ILM used comics for their alien designs.

Why would he, he was an obvious fan...
    As well as the comic strips obviously Flash Gordon (yet also the Flash)
    And the movie serials....

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

The Flash #145 (June 1964) to be precise. scans above are from #229(reprint) just in case there is a difference)
    Curious, other than the reprint, did she ever return, or was referenced again?

Curious has he ever referenced it directly? Or Flash at all? There certainly is a chance he saw it and just subconsciously retained it.
    I believe both he (and McQuary) do reference Flash Gordon specifically (Alex Raymond's and the Movie serials) as influence.

And of course there was this quote, as to her hairdo. And the image(the one with her father) in the Lucas archives.

Although the Pancho Villa era; Soldadera women of the Revolution was a new spin for Sci-Fi LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The wise cracking superhero in a skin tight outfit whose civilian initials are P.P. and who uses an automatic camera to take pics of his superhero exploits to sell to a newspaper?

He's the Fox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(comics)
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Lucas never denied how much comics influenced Star Wars. ILM used comics for their alien designs.
    I get a sense that you view the intent of this thread as derogatory. It isn't. It's just fun to speculate on the individual strands of our hobby's DNA.

As much as I love Hawkeye he is just the Marvel copy of Green Arrow. Bit use bows and trick arrows and are on a team with super powered heroes that pretty much put class them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.