Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I get a sense that you view the intent of this thread as derogatory. It isn't. It's just fun to speculate on the individual strands of our hobby's DNA.
    Noted. I refrain from more "Get Off My Lawn!" posts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I loved when I was reading the origin issue of the X-Men villain Sauron, and Roy Thomas, IN FREAKIN' STORY, had the character blatantly swipe his name from Lord Of The Rings.

Talk about owning it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The wise cracking superhero in a skin tight outfit whose civilian initials are P.P. and who uses an automatic camera to take pics of his superhero exploits to sell to a newspaper?

He's the Fox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(comics)
    Interesting! I knew that Spidey was similar in part to the 1940s character Spider-Queen (both turn to crime-fighting after someone close to them is murdered; both are science-oriented and develop web-shooters, etc.) but I'd never heard of this Fox character. Thanks, I love reading stuff like this--it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    As much as I love Hawkeye he is just the Marvel copy of Green Arrow. Both use bows and trick arrows and are on a team with super powered heroes that pretty much out class them.
    I think Hawkeye agrees with your assessment--here he is in 1967's Avengers #42

How about the Squadron Supreme being a rip off of the Justice League?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

I'm more interested in the less obvious influences. For instance,

This in 1954
    Image.jpg
    +
    This is 1957
    Image.jpg
    =
    That in 1962
    Image.jpg

Invincible Member

I didn't know this for a long time, but The Hellfire Club from the X-Men were basically a rip-off of a similar group from the 60's spy TV show "The Avengers".

( I'm at work so I can't be googling images of women in bustiers even if they were from old tv shows...)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

And how many rip-offs of Superman has Marvel done? From Hyperion to Gladiator to Count Nefaria to the Sentry, there have been more than a few.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-12-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    How about the Squadron Supreme being a rip off of the Justice League?
    "rip off" implies they weren't overtly referencing the JL and making no claims it wasn't completly intentional and obvious.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    "rip off" implies they weren't overtly referencing the JL and making no claims it wasn't completly intentional and obvious.
    Agreed. Squadron was intended as 1/2 of a bit of an in-joke between the creative teams of The JLA and The Avengers to stage the JL v. Avengers brawl that every fan wanted, and neither publisher was going to allow. It's just that Marvel invested more in their Squadron than DC did The Champions of Angor (owing largely, IMO, to the lasting impact of the late Mark Gruenwald's outstanding 1985 mini-series).

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And how many rip-offs of Superman has Marvel done? From Hyperion to Gladiator to Count Nefaria to the Sentry, there have been more than a few.
    I would not include Count Nefaria because he existed for years as a regular human villain. Later on, he absorbed the powers of 3 Marvel super villains, magnified a hundred-fold. The intent was not so much to create a Super analogue as a super-super-powered villain able to take on entire teams of Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Interesting! I knew that Spidey was similar in part to the 1940s character Spider-Queen (both turn to crime-fighting after someone close to them is murdered; both are science-oriented and develop web-shooters, etc.) but I'd never heard of this Fox character. Thanks, I love reading stuff like this--it's fun.
    There were a couple of really good Fox mini series from Archie a few years ago. Be Mark Waid and Dean Haspiel.

And didn't DC introduce a team based on the Avengers around the same time, with Blue Jay and Silver Sorceress?

Or am I thinking of the time when the Invaders had a thinly disguised JSA guest starring the same month the Freedom Fighters had an Invaders-like team?

"Man these guys are a bunch of Squadron Supreme rip offs" - Hawkeye, JLAvengers.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    There were a couple of really good Fox mini series from Archie a few years ago. Be Mark Waid and Dean Haspiel.
    Yes, highly recommended.

From the "Dark Circle" line, but sadly not as successful as "Afterlife With Archie."

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!