Amazing Member Orf with his head's Avatar

Default Comic Artist Portfolios

Not sure if this is the right forum for this subject.

I’ve recently got into the bug of collecting comic artist portfolios.

I’ve got the Jim Lee and Frank Cho portfolios on pre-order, recently bought the Artgerm one and picked up a Superman one from a comic dealer at home

Is there a list or site that lists who’s released portfolios of their comic art?

I’ve seen a John Byrne one on eBay where he’s redrawn some of his iconic X-men scenes which I’m after and also a history of the DC universe one for the Bolland Arthurian Legends, and Bissette Swamp Thing.

Does anyone else collect these? What are your thoughts on them?

Like sketchbook/artbooks, or something different?

If you go to a site like Lonestar/mycomicshop and do a search on portfolio, you will get all their listings of portfolios that have been released that they have had for sale at some point.There will also be pictures of most, including the plates themselves. Some will be artist specific, some will be themed, some will be combined (like a Michael Golden Doctor Strange portfolio or a Marshall Rogers Batman portfolio, etc.). Art portfolios used to be a staple of comic book ad pages and a way for artists to generate additional revenue. There were several smaller publishers who specialized in bringing comic art portfolios to market. Most portfolios these days however are self-produced and self-marketed by the artists themselves, available through their websites or at convention appearances.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 07-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Like sketchbook/artbooks, or something different?
    HI D-F

They're usually folders with 6-8 A4 or larger plates showcasing an full page of the artists character art.

This is one of the Byrne X-Men Plates
    Byrne.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If you go to a site like Lonestar/mycomicshop and do a search on portfolio, you will get all their listings of portfolios that have been released that they have had for sale at some point.There will also be pictures of most, including the plates themselves. Some will be artist specific, some will be themed, some will be combined (like a Michael Golden Doctor Strange portfolio or a Marshall Rogers Batman portfolio, etc.). Art portfolios used to be a staple of comic book ad pages and a way for artists to generate additional revenue. They were several smaller publishers who specialized in bringing comic art portfolios to market. Most portfolios these days however are self-produced and self-marketed by the artists themselves, available through their websites or at convention appearances.

-M
    Thanks MRP, I'll have a look at this site