Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The MJ story was pretty solid. I like the idea of her having a rival.

The idea of multiple artists for different narrative strands generally worked.

The Mysterio fake-out seemed a bit unnecessary, although I could see that some might think it's important to give the character an impressive moment when he's the main villain in the movies and someone else's lackey in the comics.

The Lizard epilogue seems a bit padded after a twelve issue saga. Those beats made more sense there. And it ended up taking Peter a really long time to decide whether he still wants to be in grad school.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Isn't Kindred Carlie or another female character anyway? The text in the recap made this old theory come back to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bomaya View Post
    Isn't Kindred Carlie or another female character anyway? The text in the recap made this old theory come back to mind.
    Kindred has been refered to as HE a few times now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Kindred has been refered to as HE a few times now.
    Which means nothing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Spider-Man 2099's most recent series ended with him dying and being revived in his own time by Strange 2099, just as New Year's Day hit, making it technically 2100 instead of 2099, though he did come back briefly for Spider-Geddon in his old costume. As for the members of the new Sinister Syndicate, the female Scorpion is actually a character named Scorpia, who uses her own scorpion-styled exoskeleton and has shown up in other comics in the past as a mercenary. The female Doctor Octopus is Carolyn Trainer, who did appear recently in Hunted as one of the many animal-themed criminals imprisoned in Central Park for Kraven's true final hunt. The woman in the scarf might be the new female Trapster introduced in Marvel's 2017 Free Comic Book Day issue previewing Chip Zdarsky's Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Thanks for the explanation. Didn't know that Carolyn Trainer was still around! Glad to see that part of Spider-Man history is still being acknowledged. And yeah, a quick search reveals that the woman in the scarf is the female Trapster.

He didn't get any of those jobs by his own merit or skill. He got the gig at Horizon Labs because May pulled strings. The company was made by Otto who hijacked his body. The gig at the Daily Bugle came because Robbie felt sorry for him.

Slott's run gets undue credit for progressing Peter's character when what he did was infantilize and undercut him and have him deal with success that he didn't earn and felt uncomfortable with. It was more or less the story of someone "failing upwards". MJ Becoming a nightclub owner was Slott's attempt to update MJ's Romita era characterization as a party-girl but more or less regress her to that version, while also repeatedly slamming Conway, Stern and Defalco's landmark work on the character and her backstory.
    An interesting idea concerning "failing upwards." Yeah, Pete (and MJ) for that matter seemed to mess up in those positions and made mistakes. Still, I enjoyed them nonetheless. Pete expanded on qualities, like his ability to create and invent things. Still would like to see that shown. At the same time, if it's Pete and MJ still in the same boat of trying to make ends meet, okay, I'm cool with that as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Which means nothing really.
    I know Menace was a whole thing, but if Mysterio and the therapist both know the ID and call him a guy, he's a guy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Didn't know that Carolyn Trainer was still around! Glad to see that part of Spider-Man history is still being acknowledged. And yeah, a quick search reveals that the woman in the scarf is the female Trapster.

An interesting idea concerning "failing upwards." Yeah, Pete (and MJ) for that matter seemed to mess up in those positions and made mistakes. Still, I enjoyed them nonetheless. Pete expanded on qualities, like his ability to create and invent things. Still would like to see that shown. At the same time, if it's Pete and MJ still in the same boat of trying to make ends meet, okay, I'm cool with that as well.
    You're welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He didn't get any of those jobs by his own merit or skill. He got the gig at Horizon Labs because May pulled strings. The company was made by Otto who hijacked his body. The gig at the Daily Bugle came because Robbie felt sorry for him.
    I'll give you the PI and Bugle situations, but that's literally wrong regarding the Horizon Labs. Marla Jameson pulled strings to get Peter the interview, and Peter was able to earn the job on his own merits by proving to the other scientists what he can do. Not EVERYTHING was just handed to him with no effort of his own.

BANNED

All right, I finally read ASM #25, I absolutely loved it, great issue, I am loving this run so far, and MJ was definitely the highlight.

Nick Spencer is at his strongest when dealing with character bits, which brings me to the only criticism I have towards his run, he's been focusing too much on Spider-Man and has left Peter Parker a little behind, and I don't know about you guys, but as much as I love Spider-Man (I really do), I read to see Peter Parker first and foremost, he's the soul of the book, and I would like for future issues to focus more on Peter's character and less on Spidey action and fighting villains.

The character bits Spencer has delivered, on both Peter and MJ, have been the strongest points of his run, so focusing more on that will only make this run even better than it already is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I always keep forgetting because they don't tend to mention or bring it up that much, but Mysterio DOES know Peter is Spider-Man. So it's really great that he's finally getting to use that information for a smart scheme, hiring MJ for his script.
    When and how did Mysterio find out Spider-Man's identity ? I don't remember

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    When and how did Mysterio find out Spider-Man's identity ? I don't remember
    The first Spider-Men mini series. I forget the logistics but basically he found it by using an avatar to travel to the ultimate universe and got Peter’s ID from that Spider-Man’s death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    The first Spider-Men mini series. I forget the logistics but basically he found it by using an avatar to travel to the ultimate universe and got Peter’s ID from that Spider-Man’s death.
    Thanks, makes sense haha, Mysterio still had his avatar on the Ultimate universe when Spidey died and his idenity was made public.

Solid issue! Loved MJ's characterization here and Peter's! While I get the whole "moving backwards/forwards" thing, I say give Spencer time to tell his story. He's clearly in it for the long haul and I can't wait to see what he delivers.

Kindred continues to impress me, although I too was hoping for a big reveal. The 2099 (or is it 2100?) tease is intriguing (and I told you all Gleason was going to be on a big story!), and, my favorite part: setting up what seems to be a Sinister War between the Savage Six and the Sinister Syndicate. Alright!! Seems like Spencer is addressing the notion of Spider-Man not having as many strong female villains by combining them and defining them! I'm game!

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    And him travelling to another universe suddenly makes a lot more sense if he owed a favour to Kindred - maybe he was trying to get out of the deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    And him travelling to another universe suddenly makes a lot more sense if he owed a favour to Kindred - maybe he was trying to get out of the deal!
    We only really got a snippet in 24, but I hope we do get a full issue down the line regarding what Mysterio was up to post-resurrection. I'd love to see the events of Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Men/Secret Wars from his perspective and his personal commentary on what exactly he knows and what he wants to do with it.

We know the Ultimate Universe may be coming back in some way in Miles book, what if that ends up bleeding over into Mysterio in Peter's book?