Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default By his bristling beard! The all-father odin appreciation thread

Odin is one of those characters who has gotten a bit of a bum rap in recent years. So this is an appreciation thread for those who remember well, and yearn to see again, the halcyon days when the All-Wise, All-Father was a force to be reckoned with.

And since Avengers Endgame has just come out, let's kick it off with a tribute to the time that the Lord of Asgard faced off against the Mad Titan himself.

ODIN vs THANOS! [AND the Silver Surfer? Yowsa!]

SO BE IT!

Last edited by brettc1; 07-10-2019 at 05:14 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

My favorite rule of Asgard .

Some pages dealing with Odin getting the Odin-Power (forum rules say I can only post 3 pages from a comic so I've skipped a lot out).

ah the greatness of Odin...

those were the days.

now...

BANNED

Page from Avengers #66..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    ah the greatness of Odin...

those were the days.

now...
    Long lost

I loved his battle with set

BANNED

Thor #349 Nov 1984
    "Debts of Honor!"
    With the Casket of Ancient Winters shattered, a supernatural cold spreads across Midgard.
    Roger suspects Melodi aka Lorelei is up to something, but with a spell, she prevents him from telling Thor.
    Agnar and Balder arrive back in Asgard to tell Odin of the vision Balder has seen.
    Thor brings Malekith back to Asgard and Odin puts him in the Prison of No Escape.
    With Malekith locked away, Odin tells them the history of the challenge they now face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    He tells them of Surtur, his brothers
    and the birth of the Odinpower, and of the coming war.
    And to help in the coming battle, Odin summons Beta Ray Bill back to Asgard.

Script and art by Walter Simonson

Extraordinary Member

Happy Wodins-day

From volume #1 issue 266. Odin humbles the Dread Destroyer as Thor acknowledges his loving fealty...

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-3527099

7CA765A4-5C7C-4039-B1FE-761DA0272B07.jpg
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-04-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Journey into Mystery #111 Dec 1964
    Loki, the Cobra and Mr. Hyde are still up to no good in "The Power of the Thunder God!"
    Thor battles the Cobra and Mr. Hyde while Jane Foster hovers close to death;

Odin's heart begins to soften towards Jane, thanks to the intervention of Balder;

Odin, in his infinite wisdom, commands Loki to deliver a message
    to Hardol, the mystic healer, who lives beyond the molten chasm;
    Loki has no choice but to obey but is waylaid by Balder and some other gods who, for some reason, distrust him.

Balder delivers the message himself while Thor defeats the Cobra and Hyde.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Odin is one of those characters who has gotten a bit of a bum rap in recent years. So this is an appreciation thread for those who remember well, and yearn to see again, the halcyon days when the All-Wise, All-Father was a force to be reckoned with.

And since Avengers Endgame has just come out, let's kick it off with a tribute to the time that the Lord of Asgard faced off against the Mad Titan himself.

ODIN vs THANOS! [AND the Silver Surfer? Yowsa!]

SO BE IT!

This was a great showing

Extraordinary Member

And it wasn’t just about Odin’s POWER either. He was just a damn good guy, as witnessed in the Trial of Reed Richards for saving Galactus.

You gotta love the reactions of Sue, Lilandra and Gladiator when they come face to face with the All-Father.

EE1457EB-26A9-46F8-87B7-8EDFD6A6EE66.jpg

120763F8-D1BB-4F00-9B51-CE9622BF6266.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Remembering the happy time before it was decided that Odin and Frigga had a completely disfunctional relationship.

Extraordinary Member

Odin and Frigga arrange for some freaky fun time... from Thor #295

odin and frigga.jpg

BANNED

Thor #405 Jul 1989
    "Odin Must Die!"
    Annihilus tears his way through the Crimson Hawks, towards Odin. Thor and others stand in his way.
    Odin then appears and, with little more than a gesture,

sends Annihilus screaming back from where he came.

Odin sends Thor to Earth through the Fantastic Four’s negative zone portal.

Script by Ron Frenz (plot) and Tom DeFalco (plot; script), pencils by Ron Frenz (layouts), inks by Joe Sinnott (finished art)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Remembering the happy time before it was decided that Odin and Frigga had a completely disfunctional relationship.

For me, the art by Keith Pollard in any marvel comic was always splendid with his sequential art a pleasure to behold.