Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would love to see a like button added. Most that dislike a post wants to comment on why so i think the like button for agreeing with a poster or post is all that's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I would love to see a like button added. Most that dislike a post wants to comment on why so i think the like button for agreeing with a poster or post is all that's needed.
    You see, it would have been great to just "Like" this post instead of having to write a whole post just to say "I agree".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Yeah, on the flip side it would help cut down on "Thanks...10 char" posts and the like.

I'm not against it or at least trying it out.
    10 char...

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    10 char...
    I see what you did there.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    As I said, it's on plenty of other forums, and doesn't prevent a difference in opinion.
    What I mean is it will just be people with likes vs people without likes. You can still see the difference.

I'm not opposing it, I'm just saying that one post having 15 likes could discourage someone from responding with a dissenting opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post

could discourage someone from responding with a dissenting opinion.
    It's not like the site is particularly friendly to dissent to begin with.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    It's not like the site is particularly friendly to dissent to begin with.
    Yeah, ya said a mouthful there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I wouldn't want a downvote. Just a "Like".
    I'm still against it. Imagine having a discussion where you have an opinion that goes against the opinion of the majority. No matter how much time and effort you put into your reply, you get zero upvotes. Everybody who disagree with you gets plenty of upvotes. If someone makes a comment that you consider to be rude, even if it's not violating the rules sufficiently for moderator to delete it, it gets suddenly five times as many upvotes from anonymous upvoters. That would be an abuse of the function, and based on my own experience, I know that if there is a way to abuse something, even if it was introduced with the best intentions, it will. Especially when the amount of members reach a tipping point.

No thanks. With the current system, members of this website have to actually start a conversation and give their ideas if they agree or disagree with what someone says. Also, a like button might discourage debate because if a bunch of people like a post of someone disagreeing with another member, then that might then discourage the member who's reply was not upvoted from continuing that conversation.

This website might not be friendly with dissent like another user said, but at least no like button forces users to say why they are unhappy with the dissent.

If "10char" posts are such a problem, why not just ban them?
    Last edited by KC; 07-27-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    If "10char" posts are such a problem, why not just ban them?
    It's not "such a problem." And if you're suggesting we should go around deleting all "10 char" posts, our moderators have better things to do.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It's not "such a problem." And if you're suggesting we should go around deleting all "10 char" posts, our moderators have better things to do.
    Cutting down on "10 char" posts is one of the reasons suggested to implement a like system. And it honestly should not be such a problem where a like system would need to be added to combat it, especially with all the problems a like system would bring.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

I mentioned cutting down on "10 char" thing as a benefit, not the driving force behind installing it.
    Conn Seanery

I never said it was the driving force behind it. It is a reason, but it is not a particularly good one IMO.

As it relates to your "why not just ban them" response, I think I've answered your question. Move on.
    Conn Seanery

The "10char" thing is one of the many reasons for a "Like" button. But even that relates to a "Agree! 10char" response that may be pages after the initial post. Does the OP even see that someone agreed with them?