Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

I think the only chance we have of Black Cat showing up are if we get movies with a college-age Spider-Man.

And that's assuming Sony doesn't let Marvel Studios use her to begin with.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Dislike how the film doesn't really feel like it's own thing. Yes it is in the MCU but let's leave the solo films feel like stand alone.

Recently watched Raimi's SM and just made me sad that we aren't ever gonna get SM films like that anymore.

Ngl I dislike the cast of friends, none of them are compelling and the MJ thing still feels like a slap in the face, again in Raimi's film Pete only had two main friends that allowed them to flesh them out more.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Dislike how the film doesn't really feel like it's own thing. Yes it is in the MCU but let's leave the solo films feel like stand alone.

Recently watched Raimi's SM and just made me sad that we aren't ever gonna get SM films like that anymore.

Ngl I dislike the cast of friends, none of them are compelling and the MJ thing still feels like a slap in the face, again in Raimi's film Pete only had two main friends that allowed them to flesh them out more.

i can’t imagine artists wanting to replicate another’s artistic endeavor. if that’s the aim, just rehire sam and mcguire. sam’s films still stand on their own, that hasn’t changed

i’m trying to understand this from a “fan” perspective; and even though i can agree that homecoming spidey wasn’t initially “my” spidey...he’s quickly becoming one of my other spideys ...if that makes sense.

but i’m not particularly beholden to one take, i just have degrees of preference

one thing i’ve enjoyed seeing is my partner fall in love with the mcu spidey depiction. as a non superhero fan, it was her gateway into a genre she used to have no time for. the support cast is part of what she loves; she doesn’t care about comic book flash t but she enjoys hate-watching the mcu version. being able to see it through her eyes and how it all hits the mark is refreshing

if that result is replicated across the board, then they’ve accomplished their goals
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's not the character. I get the argument for a different take in modern films, but that gets kinda sketchy considering the source material.

If you're going with a traditional take on the character in modern culture, it requires someone in her mid-20s at the youngest for both the character and the actress.
    The MCU has taken far more extreme liberties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The MCU has taken far more extreme liberties.
    I will say that making Felicia Hardy a teenager would be one way to solve the Catwoman problem. Sony are quite reluctant to introduce her because they know that Felicia would have to compete with so many iconic versions of Selina (Newmar, Kitt, Pfeiffer, Hathaway) on-screen. But then again, if you are gonna introduce Felicia Hardy, you are basically going to be introducing the character. So if you are going to do it first then there's going to pressures and expectation that you introduce the most iconic and classic version out of the gate.

Sony is weird in that it has been faithful to Spider-Man but have also been at times willing to allow extreme liberties with the property.

The MCU have also been faithful to the characters of the comics in multiple runs, but they have made changes too.

In the case of say, Iron Man, have taken major liberties. They did an adaptation of Iron Man in three movies and shared universe appearances after that, where Tony doesn't have his traditional archenemies (Mandarin), nor even more prominent villains like Madame Masque, where Justin Hammer is a total putz rather than a capable villain, and Tony doesn't actually descend into legit alcoholism. Tony also has his own MJ/Lois Lane type in Pepper Potts and doing a version of Iron Man where he's not a womanizer and jumps girl to girl across adventures is a huge departure from the comics. The later part of Iron Man's arc, however is faithful to the Iron Man of Galactic Storm, and Bendis-Hickman's Illuminati, i.e. the futurist obsessed and fixated on alien threats out of an instinctive Lovecraftian fear of man's weakness against the cosmos, and doing stupid self-destructive stuff trying to prevent or delay it.

But Captain America by Chris Evans is quite faithful to the Cap of Kirby and Simon, Englehart, Stern, JMS, Brubaker. He doesn't say it, but he is "loyal to nothing, general -- but the dream". Thor likewise is faithful to multiple runs, Kirby/Lee, Simonson, and in the case of Endgame, the uncertain, depressed, doubting character is similar to Jason Aaron's take on Odinson albeit with some comedy added in. Dr. Strange is also quite faithful, especially in IW and Endgame where his esoteric corner makes him quite distant and creepy to his fellow supers right down to his spoilers:
    manipulation of Tony to his death
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Didn't she go on to marry Jamie Madrox?
    After she was aged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's not the character. I get the argument for a different take in modern films, but that gets kinda sketchy considering the source material.

If you're going with a traditional take on the character in modern culture, it requires someone in her mid-20s at the youngest for both the character and the actress.
    To be fair, we don't really know the character as a teenager in the comics, so who can say what is or isn't the character as an adolescent. She has however been presented as a teenager in at least one, I think maybe two cartoon series.
    And like you said, the modern films are now known for taking slightly different takes. MCU Aunt May ain't your traditional take.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    To be fair, we don't really know the character as a teenager in the comics, so who can say what is or isn't the character as an adolescent. She has however been presented as a teenager in at least one, I think maybe two cartoon series.
    And like you said, the modern films are now known for taking slightly different takes. MCU Aunt May ain't your traditional take.
    If you're talking about Felicia in Spectacular. She was 19. So she was still presented as "sexy older lady with a cat motif".

(No idea how old she's supposed to be in 2017 Spider-Man. Probably around the same age as Spec. She wasn't presented as a student, as I recall.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    My understanding was that Felicia dropped out of high school and didn’t finish her education and she learned on the streets you know. I can’t imagine her in high school or ever having a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    My understanding was that Felicia dropped out of high school and didn’t finish her education and she learned on the streets you know. I can’t imagine her in high school or ever having a normal life.
    Evil That Men Do established she went to college.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Evil That Men Do established she went to college.
    Indeed it did.

See how much we don't know?

A part of me thinks if they end up using Spider-Gwen in the movies (because I guess it's inevitable they'll bring in the other Spider-Heroes even if I'm not sure how well they'd work here), they might re-work her to fill out the Black Cat role.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me thinks if they end up using Spider-Gwen in the movies (because I guess it's inevitable they'll bring in the other Spider-Heroes even if I'm not sure how well they'd work here), they might re-work her to fill out the Black Cat role.
    We don't even have She-Hulk in the MCU...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We don't even have She-Hulk in the MCU...
    I mean, I know, and I want to see Jen done justice but not really sure how that connects with my comment ?

I mean, I know, and I want to see Jen done justice but not really sure how that connects with my comment ?
    Just lamenting that we don't even have Jen.

(Female spin-offs of established male characters are a big thing in comics, aren't they? But not so much in the movies.)

A morally grey Spider-Gwen?