Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Pretty sure they'd try to keep almost everything under the wraps until Avengers 4 gets released.
    It would be ridiculous to release anything until then

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it's going to get harder to do that if they keep up with the "MJ" nickname and try and develop her more into a Mary Jane stand-in for the MCU.
    So? It wouldn't be the first time that a character was given a drastic reimagining or that new characters were added into the movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So? It wouldn't be the first time that a character was given a drastic reimagining or that new characters were added into the movies.
    True, I just feel like this is more noticeable when it concerns one of the most prominent female characters in Spider-Man and involves Marvel trying to get around the character while still having someone like her around.

But that's just me.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's also a terrible idea from a practical standpoint. Tony wears armor, so his AI is protected. Peter's costume is skintight fabric that's going to take abuse. The suit's going to need a six figure tune up after each outing. (And armoring the spider suit may be fine for a specific goal or mission . . . but it would interfere with Spider-Man's power set.)
    From what we can assume from Infinity War and Homecoming is that Peter was intended to get the Iron Spider. Peter didn't really encounter a supervillain prior to his own movie or a superpowered threat prior to Civil War as well. He's also spent almost a year not needing much more than some repurposed casual clothes so what little protection he needs is provided by the suit. We do know from Civil War and Homecoming that it can take a beating as well so a tune-up doesn't seem to be all that regular. Given the short time we see this Spider-man it could be we haven't seen it truly worn down yet, but the Iron Spider was provided to him shortly following Homecoming so all and all it wasn't going to be his regular suit anyways.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    It would be ridiculous to release anything until then
    I can't imagine they will wait until just two months prior to the film's release to even start marketing their film. I imagine that they might wait until a Super Bowl spot and trailer so that Avengers 4 will have an opportunity to at least get a good portion of its marketing out to give people an idea of what to expect in that film.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    From what we can assume from Infinity War and Homecoming is that Peter was intended to get the Iron Spider. Peter didn't really encounter a supervillain prior to his own movie or a superpowered threat prior to Civil War as well. He's also spent almost a year not needing much more than some repurposed casual clothes so what little protection he needs is provided by the suit. We do know from Civil War and Homecoming that it can take a beating as well so a tune-up doesn't seem to be all that regular. Given the short time we see this Spider-man it could be we haven't seen it truly worn down yet, but the Iron Spider was provided to him shortly following Homecoming so all and all it wasn't going to be his regular suit anyways.
    I was speaking "realistically". They won't get into it, or they'll just make it that kind of magical sci fi science that you just accept.

It was something in the back of my head while playing the PS4 game. It has all these armored suits . . . and that just interferes with Spidey's power set. (Hell, they used to make a point of having Peter take off his shoes if he ran up a wall in street clothes because they interfered with his wall crawling.)

It's just that all these live action superheroes need to have billions of dollars worth of tech and a whole team of support staff at some kind of base. It's even a joke in Homecoming with Ned calling himself Peter's "guy in the chair".

It's getting same-y and bland.

True, I just feel like this is more noticeable when it concerns one of the most prominent female characters in Spider-Man and involves Marvel trying to get around the character while still having someone like her around.

But that's just me.
    Okay. I can understand subjectively feeling like an adaptation of a character goes too far even if there's nothing wrong with it. Changing the ethnicities of Peter, MJ, and a handful of other comic favorites of mine would be something that I'd have a tricky time with, even if I intellectually understand that it's okay and don't have a problem with it in terms of the diversity or it being an adaptation if that makes any sense. I think it comes from what I was exposed to first (heck, I'm glad that Marvel is forgetting there ever was a white Nick Fury).

I don't think Marvel was trying to write out MJ while still having an analogue around; the people who made the comics (the ones ostensibly trying to get rid of her) are not the people making the movies. Besides, at the end of the day, I don't really care at this point if Michelle is a black MJ or a new character inspired by her; I like the character on her own terms (so I would be fine if we never get an MCU MJ) and if I want to see movies with the "real" MJ (for "real" read: "closer to the source material), I can always pop in the Raimi movies.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Okay. I can understand subjectively feeling like an adaptation of a character goes too far even if there's nothing wrong with it. Changing the ethnicities of Peter, MJ, and a handful of other comic favorites of mine would be something that I'd have a tricky time with, even if I intellectually understand that it's okay and don't have a problem with it in terms of the diversity or it being an adaptation if that makes any sense. I think it comes from what I was exposed to first (heck, I'm glad that Marvel is forgetting there ever was a white Nick Fury).

I don't think Marvel was trying to write out MJ while still having an analogue around; the people who made the comics (the ones ostensibly trying to get rid of her) are not the people making the movies. Besides, at the end of the day, I don't really care at this point if Michelle is a black MJ or a new character inspired by her; I like the character on her own terms (so I would be fine if we never get an MCU MJ) and if I want to see movies with the "real" MJ (for "real" read: "closer to the source material), I can always pop in the Raimi movies.
    I guess I should've specified "Marvel Studios" .

I guess I should've specified "Marvel Studios" .
    Oh. Maybe. Although, if you believe that Michelle was supposed to be a black MJ but they chickened out of fear of a backlash from the racist dregs of the public, that may not be entirely true.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Thumbs up

Okay. I can understand subjectively feeling like an adaptation of a character goes too far even if there's nothing wrong with it. Changing the ethnicities of Peter, MJ, and a handful of other comic favorites of mine would be something that I'd have a tricky time with, even if I intellectually understand that it's okay and don't have a problem with it in terms of the diversity or it being an adaptation if that makes any sense. I think it comes from what I was exposed to first (heck, I'm glad that Marvel is forgetting there ever was a white Nick Fury)....
    Perhaps I'm a little different from most as character ethnicity changes don't bother me. If the main personality traits of a character remain they could make him or her a member of any racial group for all I care. I have a far bigger problem with a character who is obviously inspired by another character yet is presented as being distinct. This is why I am not a fan of Michelle. The character of this "MJ" is far too similar to another earlier character with the exact same initials.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

According to Holland’s IG, Far From Home has finished filming. Or atleast they’re done for now.

Edit: Honestly I see nothing that’s noticeably similar between Michelle & Mary Jane beyond their initials.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    ....Edit: Honestly I see nothing that’s noticeably similar between Michelle & Mary Jane beyond their initials.
    1.) Both she and Ultimate MJ started off as "ugly ducklings".

2.) Both she and Ultimate MJ are science wiz kids.

3.) Both have a spunky attitude (she and 616 MJ)

4.) (easy one) Both are love interests of Spider-Man

5.) Both have the same initials (as you mentioned).

6.) Both have very similar personalities in general (at least I think so).

Maybe it is just me but I think they are rather similar.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    1.) Both she and Ultimate MJ started off as "ugly ducklings".

2.) Both she and Ultimate MJ are science wiz kids.

3.) Both have a spunky attitude (she and 616 MJ)

4.) (easy one) Both are love interests of Spider-Man

5.) Both have the same initials (as you mentioned).

6.) Both have very similar personalities in general (at least I think so).

Maybe it is just me but I think they are rather similar.
    If her name was MC instead of MJ, would you make that connection? Be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If her name was MC instead of MJ, would you make that connection? Be honest.
    I sure would although it might have taken me a bit longer to make the connection -

AU Celgress - "Huh, she's so similar to 616 Mary Jane I think they should have just called her 'MJ'".

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I sure would although it might have taken me a bit longer to make the connection -

AU Celgress - "Huh, she's so similar to 616 Mary Jane I think they should have just called her 'MJ'".
    I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Michelle to really say she’s supposed to be MJ. Maybe that’ll change after FFM, but at the moment those similarities are pretty basic and not that convincing.