Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Like seeing Aunt May being a support system rather then a hinderance and having Michelle be the leading lady could be quite interesting. Looking forward to Nick Fury and Maria Hill and am very curious what they do with Mysterio and what those "Element" things turn out to be (more classic bad guys, a con, something else?).
    I don't know if I'd quite call Aunt May a support system quite yet. We'd have to see more of how she's dealing with Peter being Spider-Man.

Michelle is definitely being treated as the female lead. Which I guess means you can be the female lead of Spider-Man so long as you have "MJ" for your initials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    There could be more serious discussions between May and Peter here. All we've seen is the trailer.
    Well, considering Aunt May's use in Homecoming those few scenes in the trailer might be the most we see with her .
    And I'd rather have her be cool with him as Spider-Man than having it be the usual trope of her being too frail to handle Peter's dual identity.
    Personally I think it would be more meaty to have her really struggle to accept him being Spider-Man, and have Peter have to deal with that, but that's just me.

Especially if this is coming after what happened to Peter in Infinity War.
    Yes, he's not going to have the same kind of relationship with Fury as he did with Stark.
    Thankfully. We don't need a "Mr. Fury! Mr. Fury!" thing going on.
    Like what? If we get a Spider-Man movies once every two years, how much of that two hour movie should be devoted to Aunt May rather than, you know, Spider-Man?

It's not like a monthly, or bi-monthly, comic where there's ample room to go deeper into the supporting cast without shortchanging the main character.
    I was thinking just more using her like in the PS4 game which, for my money, has been one of the best uses of Aunt May in an adaption in some time.
    Some people preface their comments, some people tag their comments, some people qualify their comments, etc..

Point being that it's common to see "as a fan" accompanying some gripe as though people who express their enthusiasm somehow aren't also fans.
    I feel like that's a very negative representation of what was being said. It seemed like they were expressing their opinion as a fan, not that anyone who disagrees isn't a fan.
    Not sure. Mysterio is so well known as a villain I don't know how much of the marketing is going to hinge on trying to fake people out as to his real motivations but we'll see.
    Well, if it's a plot point that he's pretending to be a hero instead of typical Mysterio, I would think that would be part of the marketing.
    I think the Elementals are not going to be a big part of the movie. I think they're just there to give Spidey some spectacular opponents to fight and also to give a flavor of some classic foes like Sandman and Hydro-Man without having to burden the storyline with additional characters who need their own arcs.
    So, basically more set pieces .

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

This is between HC & Avengers IW, right? Has to be because Peter died....

If it isn't then this is dumb. Very dumb and why I was pissed at IW when the OG Avengers survived.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    This is between HC & Avengers IW, right? Has to be because Peter died....

If it isn't then this is dumb. Very dumb and why I was pissed at IW when the OG Avengers survived.
    Why is it dumb. This movie comes after Endgame? This movie is coming out in July and Endgame comes out in April.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    This is between HC & Avengers IW, right? Has to be because Peter died.....
    It's not. It comes out after Endgame and was long confirmed to have occurred after the movie.

And...wow, comic book deaths don't stick. Who would have thought? Oh, and Water is also wet

Yeah, which means we'll already know how he came back. Aren't there rumours time travel is involved?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I read someone else predict that Mysterio's plan may basically just be Syndrome's from The Incredibles, creating a threat that he can easily defeat so he can become a famous hero, and I'd be all for seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Peter calling Michelle "MJ" feels so weird when she still feels like an OC. But this is the same movie where Ganke is called "Ned" and we have a blonde Betty Brant, so I guess it's par for the course.
    And the MCU version of Cindy Moon doesn't appear to have her Silk powers, despite the fact that in the comics, she got her powers at the same time as Peter (we just didn't know for decades as she was introduced by retcon). And you mentioned Flash, in Homecoming he was nothing like the comics Flash at all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Not bad for a pile of dust

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I read someone else predict that Mysterio's plan may basically just be Syndrome's from The Incredibles, creating a threat that he can easily defeat so he can become a famous hero, and I'd be all for seeing that.
    yeah that the universal idea epsically when set photos show Peter beating Mysterio

Ultimate Member

I hope that they give Jake Gyllenhaal the same opportunity to show off his acting chops by playing a cool baddie that they gave Michael Keaton in the last film.

Hopefully they finally introduce Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in the third film

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I hope that they give Jake Gyllenhaal the same opportunity to show off his acting chops by playing a cool baddie that they gave Michael Keaton in the last film.

Hopefully they finally introduce Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in the third film
    You mean the new improved MCU version named Felicity Harvey? Not Felicia, nothing like her, but represents her in the MCU...
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-15-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Wow! This feels more in line with what Spider-Man can be than "Homecoming" (and keep in mind, Homecoming was fun and enjoyable to me as a new origin story). Several classic elements like Mysterio, the London trip, Peter and MJ, Aunt May, and more while mixing in some good old "Ultimate Spider-Man" to boot. I'm certainly excited.

It does have an uphill battle though with some friendly fire from the PS4 game and "Into the Spider-Verse" being two of my favorite adaptations in recent years! But I really like this version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    It does have an uphill battle though with some friendly fire from the PS4 game and "Into the Spider-Verse" being two of my favorite adaptations in recent years! But I really like this version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker!
    My big problem with these films is that Tom Holland as an actor seems to be corralled into doing just a few default emotions...bug-eyed nervousness, and half-worded cluelessness communicated with incomplete sentences. It's basically the other side of Tobey Maguire's constant mournfulness and aw-shucks naivete which was basically the default Peter attitude that the direction and script gave him. Not blaming the actors but the role kind of flattens the character. You don't get a sense of complete characterization that you did with Chris Evans' Cap or Downey's Iron Man or even after IW, Hemsworth's Thor.

Whereas ITSV and yes the PS4 game gives us a more complete and rounded look at the character.

I mean the Aunt May being hot joke, funny in Civil War when Tony Stark did it...because even after he's become monogamous to Pepper, Tony still objectifies girls. But it gets absurd if you do it all the damn time and it's creepy and weird. And you know you are patting yourself on the back about "We made Aunt May hot", Sony Animation made Aunt May bi-curious sorta. So top that.

I didn't watch Homecoming in theatres. I watched it on Home Video. And I will likely do the same for Far From Home...
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-15-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: change

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Agreed, they'll be like the Shocker and Tinkerer to his Vulture - though I'm worried there may be too many villains on the playing field.
    I'm guessing the origin's simpler here.

It was convoluted in other films when you had multiple unrelated origins.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    My big problem with these films is that Tom Holland as an actor seems to be corralled into doing just a few default emotions...bug-eyed nervousness, and half-worded cluelessness communicated with incomplete sentences. It's basically the other side of Tobey Maguire's constant mournfulness and aw-shucks naivete which was basically the default Peter attitude that the direction and script gave him. Not blaming the actors but the role kind of flattens the character. You don't get a sense of complete characterization that you did with Chris Evans' Cap or Downey's Iron Man or even after IW, Hemsworth's Thor.

Whereas ITSV and yes the PS4 game gives us a more complete and rounded look at the character.

I mean the Aunt May being hot joke, funny in Civil War when Tony Stark did it...because even after he's become monogamous to Pepper, Tony still objectifies girls. But it gets absurd if you do it all the damn time and it's creepy and weird. And you know you are patting yourself on the back about "We made Aunt May hot", Sony Animation made Aunt May bi-curious sorta. So top that.

I didn't watch Homecoming in theatres. I watched it on Home Video. And I will likely do the same for Far From Home...
    It sounds to me like you and I kind of agree on the movie adaptations as a whole: none of them have captured the full scope of the Peter Parker character, from McGuire to Garfield to Holland. They all have done well in my eyes for their roles, but I agree: each has been fairly straightforward. It comes from an era of superhero movie storytelling that wasn't as prevalent as it is now. ISTV and the PS4 game give Peter more character and space to have a myriad of emotions, thoughts, and feelings while truly capturing that feeling of being Peter Parker, Spider-Man. That said, I highly enjoy all the movies, even ASM2 and SM3 (guilty pleasures): but none of them, in my opinion, got as close as possible to what the character is in readers and fans' hearts.

Also, Aunt May was bi-curious? Since when? :P