Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 LastLast

They went HAM! 100% PIGGIE! Thank you, God Watts!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Anyone who has seen the film and wants to start a thread about it can do so. That way, there can be a place for people to go over spoilers without being afraid of ruining it for others.

Just make sure to have the spoil tag in the first post.

spoilers:
    Like so.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For anyone who's seen it, does Spider-Man actually quip in this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For anyone who's seen it, does Spider-Man actually quip in this movie?
    pretty sure he does hes spiderman and in the mcu they all quip. I am going to see on Thursday if its funny but thats subjective
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Anyone who has seen the film and wants to start a thread about it can do so. That way, there can be a place for people to go over spoilers without being afraid of ruining it for others.

Just make sure to have the spoil tag in the first post.

spoilers:
    Like so.
    end of spoilers
    That doesn't show the code, you've shown us what it should look like but not what to do. HTML tags fixes that.
    HTML Code:
    [SPOIL]Like so.[/SPOIL]
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    pretty sure he does hes spiderman and in the mcu they all quip. I am going to see on Thursday if its funny but thats subjective
    I mean, that's a given, it's just MCU Spider-Man so far hasn't been the rapid-fire and clever quipper Spider-Man typically is.

BANNED

I mean, that's a given, it's just MCU Spider-Man so far hasn't been the rapid-fire and clever quipper Spider-Man typically is.
    The only cinematic Spidey to really display that quality so far has been Garfield. Neither Maquire or Holland have been consistent quippers.

FFH is very funny overall but there isn't a lot of Spidey quips, specifically. But then again I don't think there's much room for them here, given the headspace Peter is in and the situations that he's dealing with. Certainly there are plenty of examples to be found in the comics where the level of jokiness is a little bit dialed down.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Made my top three Spider-Man films and top three MCU films!!
    Also one of the few movies where I was genuinely surprised and yelled, holy shit in theaters!!
    They have definitely upped the stakes for our favorite webhead.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 07-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The only cinematic Spidey to really display that quality so far has been Garfield. Neither Maquire or Holland have been consistent quippers.
    Maguire actually quipped quite a bit, he just didn't have the right voice to pull them off.

I definitely agree Garfield had the best Spider-Man voice. I don't think Holland's really pulled it off.
    FFH is very funny overall but there isn't a lot of Spidey quips, specifically. But then again I don't think there's much room for them here, given the headspace Peter is in and the situations that he's dealing with. Certainly there are plenty of examples to be found in the comics where the level of jokiness is a little bit dialed down.
    I mean, but those were usually during darker periods in Spider-Man's life so he toned down the jokes a little, not something where it's a consistent thing as his quips are an essential element of Spidey's personality.

For me the lack of it has been one of my issues with MCU Spidey since Civil War.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, but those were usually during darker periods in Spider-Man's life so he toned down the jokes a little, not something where it's a consistent thing as his quips are an essential element of Spidey's personality.

For me the lack of it has been one of my issues with MCU Spidey since Civil War.
    Yeah, the Holland Spider-Man makes Pop Culture references instead.

Which, as a nitpick, that always kind of annoyed me the way the Russo's wrote Peter like that because it felt very "this is how kids talk, right?"
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

Which, as a nitpick, that always kind of annoyed me the way the Russo's wrote Peter like that because it felt very "this is how kids talk, right?"
    Yeah, I wasn't impressed with how the Russo's handled his jokes either. I think it worked in Civil War but not as, like, the only quips he makes whenever he's in their movies.

I'm kind of surprised it's difficult to write quips for Spider-Man considering they were using the Ultimate template as a basis and Ultimate Peter never shut up as Spider-Man. Like, Kingpin fight, anyone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Spidey has been making pop culture references since the Lee/Ditko era so it's completely fair game for the movies to follow suit.

Spidey has been making pop culture references since the Lee/Ditko era so it's completely fair game for the movies to follow suit.
    I mean, pop culture references are fine. I think it's more an issue when it's the only jokes he seems to make.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, pop culture references are fine. I think it's more an issue when it's the only jokes he seems to make.
    Yeah I don't mind them in and of itself it just it could veer into "Big Bang Theory" territory of making a reference for the sake of it.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I dunno, felt like he was quipping quite a bit to me against the bank robbers & on the boat in HC.