Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yang was recently signing at my LCS and while I had to miss it due to prior engagements, my store was able to get my inside cover on issue two signed by him. Really excited to finally set some time aside to read it. Based on everyone's reactions and how strong issue one was, this is clearly shaping up to be a modern classic.

Finished issue 3. Yeah this is definitely going into my list of Superman recommendations. It’s a fairly simple and straightforward story but one that’s pretty relevant and I greatly enjoyed it. They need to give Yang a Black Label Superman book already.

Also the historical pages make for fascinating reads.

Should we recommend it in that "essential reading" thread we got sticky-ed up top?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Finished issue 3. Yeah this is definitely going into my list of Superman recommendations. It’s a fairly simple and straightforward story but one that’s pretty relevant and I greatly enjoyed it. They need to give Yang a Black Label Superman book already.

Also the historical pages make for fascinating reads.
    Just finished it today too. Loved it. The origin part was my favorite of all his various origins.

In the 1950s Superman show, there was an episode where he met people from beneath the Earth who were being persecuted by humans because they were "aliens". There's a scene where he gets very angry and Lois says that he's taking this very personally as if he knows he's being accepted only because he looks human.

There was never any explanation in the show for how he knows he's from Krypton but something like this could be the explanation.

Regardless, this book is already one of my all-time favorite Superman stories.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Man! Oh! Man! It was so cool seeing clark running on powerlines again and jumping on the side of buildings again. Too bad he started flying and became the silverage "man of tomorrow" guy. But, i am not complaining this is after all a transition phase. I loved that they actually called superman what he is a strongman. Things i wanted to be acknowledged are, i am quite happy.After all these whil superman in a circus was awesome to see.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Definitely a good story, and really catching the core of what makes Superman a compelling and engaging figure. I also liked the way that it carefully modernised Lois Lane. The art was simple and stylised, but managed to sell the emotions and characters very well. The Lee kids were engaging, enthusiastic, and capable as kid protagonists.

I really liked the way Samson was used in the Smallville segment of the story. It was a great nod to how Superman's costume was designed. Also, those small quiet moments between characters shouldn't be underemphasised. Especially when it's the protagonist or hero who gets the advice.

If I have one quibble, it is the way that Wilson is presented. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the way he presents his greed and contempt for the low-level Klan members is rooted in the radio serials, and the reveals about the real-world Klan of the time. But I think the way it is presented only serves to mock or expose the Klan of 1946. I'm less sure it works to help people today recognise the fascism of other times, or its dangers. Because the really dangerous fascist leaders, they believe.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Definitely a good story, and really catching the core of what makes Superman a compelling and engaging figure. I also liked the way that it carefully modernised Lois Lane. The art was simple and stylised, but managed to sell the emotions and characters very well. The Lee kids were engaging, enthusiastic, and capable as kid protagonists.

I really liked the way Samson was used in the Smallville segment of the story. It was a great nod to how Superman's costume was designed. Also, those small quiet moments between characters shouldn't be underemphasised. Especially when it's the protagonist or hero who gets the advice.

If I have one quibble, it is the way that Wilson is presented. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the way he presents his greed and contempt for the low-level Klan members is rooted in the radio serials, and the reveals about the real-world Klan of the time. But I think the way it is presented only serves to mock or expose the Klan of 1946. I'm less sure it works to help people today recognise the fascism of other times, or its dangers. Because the really dangerous fascist leaders, they believe.
    Yep - this was especially awesome, from the quiet moments to the large. The art is perfect, too.

On Wilson: it *is* directly from the radio serials, but I do think that the lesson is as apt today as ever. It's true that the believers are, in some ways, more directly dangerous - look what happens to Wilson when he outs himself as a "non-believer". But there are several kinds of bigotry/racism on display in this book: 1, the more quiet bigotry that comes more from lack of knowledge or exposure to what they think they dislike; 2, the full-on racists who've fully drunk the kool-aid; and 3, people in power who manipulate and pull strings in any way they want because hate is another tool of/for wealth and power to them.

The third may seem like they're not as dangerous, but they're in a "better" place to manipulate more people - partly because they're generally in a power position so they can hide behind an office or some veneer of "respectability," and partly because they use language that allows them an "out"/excuse so they can keep on manipulating. One #3 can mold 1000's of #2's, and we see that play out every day.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Thanks for the additiional information and confirmation on Wilson. And yes, you're correct that you can find graft, and lots of it, in fascist organisations.

But in a way, if non-believers run a fascist organisation, then I believe it is fundamentally limited in its reach. They are dependant on charismatic and authoritarian leaders, and money for them is more a sign of status and power than anything of value in itself for them.

On the other hand, it is extremely hard to discuss fascism in its meanings and beliefs even in regular text, even more so in fiction. And this is meant to reach kids.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This book is a classic. Looking forward to reading the conclusion

This book was an absolute joy to read. Seriously one of the best representations and uses of Superman that I think has ever been put to paper. That final issue was incredible. The scene with Tommy & Chuck in the beginning was excellent. The two Lois & Roberta scenes also were exceptional. And of course the big reveal at the end. Just fantastic.

I'm buying a few copies of the collected edition and donating it to my kids school library. This really should be in the top 5 Superman books and I'd honestly think of recommending it over something like All Star to someone wanting to get into Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This book was an absolute joy to read. Seriously one of the best representations and uses of Superman that I think has ever been put to paper. That final issue was incredible. The scene with Tommy & Chuck in the beginning was excellent. The two Lois & Roberta scenes also were exceptional. And of course the big reveal at the end. Just fantastic.

I'm buying a few copies of the collected edition and donating it to my kids school library. This really should be in the top 5 Superman books and I'd honestly think of recommending it over something like All Star to someone wanting to get into Superman.
    Yeah, I kind of want to donate a copy or two of this story to some kids as well.

I too was a little unsure what I thought of Wilson, but I was gratified that Chuck's uncle wound up being the ultimate physical threat. It was really good overall and I loved it.

I will say, when that kid who kept saying Superman might smell like cotton candy was scared of him for a hot second, it broke my heart just a tiny bit.

But the whole thing was pretty amazing overall! Great book! One of the best takes on Superman I've ever seen, to be honest!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Been realizing more and more how much corruption can go back to money. A lot of it goes back to money, with how American slavery was frequently justified by the money-making cotton industry and the Nazis using things like Germany’s economic downfall after World War I and the baseless accusation of Jews being greedy backstabbing masterminds to encourage German citizens to join them. It’s not the only thing that encourages foolish suckers to join such groups of course, but I don’t think it would count as a small reason either, as opposed to counting as a big one.

Indeed, although some say money is what makes the world go around, the love of money can very much be a root of evil.

Thanks for the additiional information and confirmation on Wilson.
    Happy to help!

And yes, you're correct that you can find graft, and lots of it, in fascist organisations.

But in a way, if non-believers run a fascist organisation, then I believe it is fundamentally limited in its reach. They are dependant on charismatic and authoritarian leaders, and money for them is more a sign of status and power than anything of value in itself for them.
    Perhaps, but I think this isn't meant to just be about fascist organizations. A good number of things that are technically not those kinds still knowingly stoke the fires of them. Wilson's big problem was simply saying the quiet part out loud before the wrong audience. I saw Wilson as more of a stand-in for upper class manipulation in general, not so much as specific to the organization. In that way, it's not so limited - because Wilson can use his position to influence a number of groups to do what he wants (which keeps his identity unconnected and has a broader reach).

On the other hand, it is extremely hard to discuss fascism in its meanings and beliefs even in regular text, even more so in fiction. And this is meant to reach kids.
    Very true - which (imo) is why Wilson is both the leader and (as I said) says the quiet part out loud; it's easier for kids to digest.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Just finished the third book. Oh, great Caesar's ghost, I love it so much. Perfect Superman. Morrison and Maggin should be proud.

I've never actually listened to the the radio show. I'm going to fix that tonight.

Buying two copies of the trade when it comes out. Donating the second.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think I need to wait a year and reread it all again, but I am pretty confident that this story is going to rank up there with All-Star Superman and For The Man Who Has Everything as one of the best depictions of Superman